Critical American Literature discussion

Corporate Governance: Principles, Policies and Practices
This topic is about Corporate Governance
Education > The Modern Influence of Corporate America

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 26, 2014 10:04AM) (new)

INTRODUCTION

I am studying corporate governance to help me define markets for novels. It is an old concept and a new one, too. Limited liability businesses were created some time ago, and today's fast evolving business world has changed corporate governance dramatically.

Corporations have many employees, and certainly everyone knows something about corporations from the media. Because of these facts, I think that there is a widespread, unconscious understanding of the socialization of corporate businesses among writers and readers of novels.

I expect to present the ideas that I find in Corporate Governance: Principles, Policies, and Practices in this discussion as I find them in the book. Please comment in any way whatsoever about corporate America, keeping in mind the central ideas of rights and duties, fiduciary responsibility, corporate structure, the economics of market capitalization, or other related ideas. Thanks!

Jasmine

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 26, 2014 10:04AM) (new)

COMMENTS ABOUT CHAPTER ONE

It is very interesting to see that the roots of corporations come from 1600 and before. England formed the East India Company, which was chartered in 1600 for trade in commodities with India and China. It had stockholders and a board of directors.

Adam Smith's famous work The Wealth of Nations, which was published in 1776, is an excellent textbook for corporate America. It describes economics with respect to many aspects of the factors of production. It discusses the political economy of the mercantile system. Also, Adam Smith provides a discussion of the economics of governments. All of these subjects contribute to the knowledge base for corporate governance.

A NEW FINANCIAL STYLE OF BUSINESS

The limited liability corporation was firmly established by the British in 1862 by shielding shareholders from the company's debt. Of course, the corporation held a stewardship duty to them. Later, state constitutions were amended in the United States to allow for the same legal protections.

This new form of business organization proved to be overwhelmingly successful financially and economically. Everyone recognizes the ubiquitous presence of corporations today, and their success at raising capital through ownership.

CORPORATE INFLUENCE ON AMERICAN LITERATURE

Clearly, modern corporate ownership, which arrived only after the Civil War (1861-1865), has had a subordinate influence on American literature. While it is interesting to see that the American psychological novel was born in 1960 (using the date as an arbitrary marker of an evolving process), the impact on novels from corporate ownership in the sense of investment and liquidity has been assimilated into stories only as the relationship between risk and return. The public perception of risk and return is isolated from the realities of corporate employment.

I think that the repeated crashes of the national economy caused by investor error have slowly invaded the business culture of corporate management. I think that corporate employees finally understand that business operations are dependent upon specific roles and jobs only because ownership is a means to capital. The misconception of working corporate jobs as agents of absentee owners is slowly dissolving.

WRITING STORIES FOR RELAXING WORKERS

How should writers tell the stories of corporate life? What aspects of these lives are important emotionally and socially? What are the secret dreams and aspirations of the corporate workers? How will the stories of corporate life finally integrate into stories that readers really enjoy?

Jasmine