Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's May 2013

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Jun 01, 2013 10:56AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments No time to sit and read with a killer work schedule this month. Thank God for audios.

22. Zero Day. David Baldacci. Read by Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy.

Army CID John Puller gets sent to W. Virginia to investigate a multiple homicide and joins with local law enforcement to uncover a very dangerous plot. Puller is like Child’s Jack Reacher with possessions and a job. The plot started out as a murder mystery and developed into a “save the world” thriller. Puller is over-the-top competent (I like my heroes invincible but even I said “oh,come on!” at several points) and the final ending was a bit tacked on, but overall I enjoyed this enough to start right into the sequel, The Forgotten.

23. The Forgotten. David Baldacci. Read by Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy. (5/5)

Puller returns from his post-Zero Day vacation to find a mysterious message his father has received from his aunt. When he investigates he finds unexplainable doings in her home town. On the way to sorting things out he meets a number of interesting and strong characters. I liked this one a tad more than Zero Day, which means I will definitely read the next in the series if there is one. Puller has grown on me, and while similarities remain with Jack Reacher they are different enough that they no longer bother me.

24. Late for the Wedding. Amanda Quick. Read by Jennifer Van Dyck. (4/5)

Third in the romantic suspense series featuring Lavinia Lake and Tobias Mark. Lavinia and Tobias accept an invitation to a country weekend party thinking they will have a romantic interlude away from prying eyes, but of course they don’t get too far before a corpse surfaces. The usual twists and turns of a Quick novel.

25. Dance for the Dead. Thomas Perry. Read by Joyce Bean. (4/5)

Fresh from a disastrous case that is still unfolding, Jane Whitefield is approached by a woman who wants her help. She reluctantly agrees, and finds herself toe-to-toe with a villain even more lethal than the previous one. This plot moved quickly and the simultaneous cases dovetailed and resolved with satisfaction. Mild spoiler: (view spoiler) but this was a small blip in an otherwise good read.

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2963 comments I too am OK with the similar differences in the Puller books. If they were different similarities, that would be a different story.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Barry wrote: "I too am OK with the similar differences in the Puller books. If they were different similarities, that would be a different story."

Smartypants.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1257 comments LOL! I like John Puller too! Enjoying the series, and looking forward to more!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14288 comments Good month! We do love our audio books, Carol!
I played a bit of NOS4A2 today for DD as we were driving since we are both reading it and she wrinkled her nose at the voice of one of the characters (that I was really enjoying) I guess they are sometimes an acquired taste!
I find the combination of Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy reading together intriguing enough alone to try those Baldacci books someday! (I enjoy both narrators on other works)
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "No time to sit and read with a killer work schedule this month. Thank God for audios.
.....Read by Ron McLarty and Orlagh Cassidy. "

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Know what you mean about busy work months. I keep thinking that one of these days I'll quit chasing my tail. Buy my boss quit a week ago, so don't foresee things getting any better!

message 7: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2627 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "No time to sit and read with a killer work schedule this month.

Work? Oh, yes, now I remember what that used to be like.

message 8: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Daniel wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "No time to sit and read with a killer work schedule this month.

Work? Oh, yes, now I remember what that used to be like."

SOME people think they are SOOOOOO funny! :-)