Book Junkies discussion

A Life Worth Dreaming About
This topic is about A Life Worth Dreaming About
Group Reads > June: A Life Worth Dreaming About by Nicholas Dettmann

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda | 31 comments I'm on chapter 9. Has anyone started reading yet?

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Eager to hear feedback. It's my first book so be gentle :-)

Linda | 31 comments Hello! How fortunate to have the author follow the discussion! I am glad I joined this group.

I have now finished the book. I finished in 3 days, which is amazing for me because I have so many other interests and not a lot of time to read each day.

First, I really liked the book! I rated it 4 stars, but for the overall story content I would rate it a 5. I will add some more feedback soon, but was hoping there would be some member discussion about the book. I don’t want to spoil anything here, so I will give it a little more time before I add more detailed comments.

I will say it was a pleasant and easy read. I enjoyed the characters. You are extremely talented with very detailed description! It made me feel like I was experiencing the events along with the characters.

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Linda,

Thank you so much for the initial feedback. As a writer, it's a great thrill to hear people like what you've worked so hard on. I'm looking forward to hearing more feedback.

As you post, you can send me a direct message and I can fill you in on a secret about the book and story itself.

And of course, I sincerely appreciate all support and hope you spread the word about my book. It'd mean the world to me to be able to do this more long-term as journalism has an uncertain future. But I think it's safe to say, people will always want to read books, whether they are in print or in electronic format

One more thing, this book will be an audio book fairly soon. Not sure of a date just yet, but I will sure post it on my website (www.nickdettmann.com) and on my blog (ndettmann-thestratosphere.blogspot.com)

Linda | 31 comments Thank you!
I have just finished a reply with more feedback and will send it to you directly. I enjoyed visiting your web site and watching and listening to the interviews.

Nicholas wrote: "Linda,

Thank you so much for the initial feedback. As a writer, it's a great thrill to hear people like what you've worked so hard on. I'm looking forward to hearing more feedback.

As you post, y..."

Linda | 31 comments I can sympathize with the way Carl is. What is admirable is he set a goal for himself early in life and was able to achieve that goal - not a spoiler - it is explained from the beginning.

As far as his interactions with others, I find it difficult to sympathize with him. He is a successful person with people around him who helped make him successful and his treatment of them is often inexcusable.

I can also put myself in his place when his "new" and "unexpected" opportunity is presented. I think we would all like to have an opportunity like that in some cases. I feel I have been blessed with a life I am happy with and do not wish to change it, but there are a few instances I wouldn't mind revisiting and getting a "do over" if I could.

Martha wrote: "How goes it, Junkies?
How far into it are we?

Lets talk about Carl. Can you sympathize with the way he is?"

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Carl was similar to a boss I had, very self-centered, didn't care who he hurt to get what he wanted or how he did it.

Linda | 31 comments Are each of your characters based loosely on people you have met or is there a mix between real and imaginary? We encounter so many different personalities in our daily lives, I would imagine a writer would base some character description on those he encounters or mix different personalities to create new imaginary ones.

Sorry you had a boss like that. Makes work life unpleasant.

Nicholas wrote: "Carl was similar to a boss I had, very self-centered, didn't care who he hurt to get what he wanted or how he did it."

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments When I created Carl, I didn't have really anybody in mind on who should I model him after. But as the story developed, it became clearer to me that it fit a lot of the personality of a former boss.

There were some characters that I modeled after people who have been a part of my life. Others were completely imaginary.

For example, Sydney was how I felt about my wife when I met her. There was just something different about her, something that I couldn't resist.

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Really want to know what people think. Please send your thoughts. I actually just had my second inquiry from a movie studio.

Betty Jo Pritchett (busylady) | 20 comments I have to say I didn't love it. I've seen the 'scrooge' plot line many times. I also had a hard time connecting with Carl. I had a hard time understanding why he behaved the way he did. His family was great. His employees and friends were great. He had a great life. There was no reason for him to be such a jerk. And why did he get a second chance? Shouldn't the second chance have gone to someone who actually deserved it?

I liked the secondary characters though and I'm glad the story ended the way it did.

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Ok. Thank you for your feedback. Anything else? What would you rate it.

Betty Jo Pritchett (busylady) | 20 comments I reviewed it for you here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Just one person's opinion. Congrats on the first book and I'll look forward to more from you in the future!

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Thank you for feedback. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to read and let me know what you think. It'll help me grow as a writer.

Nicholas Dettmann | 27 comments Are there any other comments? I'd like to hear them.