Anti-Asshat Indie Authors discussion

Writing > Motivation

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 177 comments Mod
How do you get yourself to start writing again when you reallllly don't feel like it, or you find yourself in a slump?

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick Gualtieri (rickgualtieri) Heh, I'm still working on that one.

I am finding that working out again is helping though. A few thousand words last week. Not a lot but better than the week before.

message 3: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Sawyer (jsawyer) I would focus on why you don't feel like it? Is it the book,or life? Doing something else for awhile, or working out when I feel tied up in knots. I look at other stuff I've written and perhaps go in that direction until it's exhausted.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Sawyer (jsawyer) Nenia wrote: "How do you get yourself to start writing again when you reallllly don't feel like it, or you find yourself in a slump?"

PLEASE tell me your not in a slump....lol.

message 5: by Elly (new)

Elly Helcl (ellymae) | 118 comments Mod
Nenia wrote: "How do you get yourself to start writing again when you reallllly don't feel like it, or you find yourself in a slump?"

I am learning that I can't force it...I just push away from the keyboard and go deal with life until inspiration strikes again.

message 6: by Armada (new)

Armada Volya | 130 comments It depends on the reason for lacking motivation. Usually I can just work on a different story if I can't get the motivation to write the first one. If I can't write anything at all, I take a break, read a short story from the same genre as whatever I need to write and that sometimes is enough. Other times I just need to take a day off. Sometimes I read through some of the feedback I've been getting and remind myself that there are people out there who like my work and there are ways to get better. There are also times when I remember everyone who told me I can't be a writer, so I get back to writing to show those schmucks

message 7: by Ren (new)

Ren Alexander (ren_alexander) | 4 comments I can't get motivated to edit my second novel. I just self-published my first and it's still getting out there. I know I have to get the second in the series finished, but I just can't get into it. Advice, anyone? Thanks!

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 177 comments Mod
Guilt works well for me. I'm like, But my readers are counting on me!

Also, I don't have a real job, so I'm like, Well, I'm not doing anything else that's bloody productive, so I might as well get the lead out.

message 9: by Elly (new)

Elly Helcl (ellymae) | 118 comments Mod
Ren, sometimes motivation means working on your third novel until you can bear to look at book two again.

Right now, I am stalled on book three (the final book) in my series. So I moved on to a completely different book that I had waiting on the sidelines. I am hoping the completely and totally YA feel of the book will drive me insane and give me the inspiration I need to work on my other book.

I know editing your own books is darn near impossible. Maybe you should ask for a beta reader...then the edits are easier to go through and you get a fresh set of eyes on your book.

message 10: by Rick (last edited Sep 25, 2013 08:23AM) (new)

Rick Gualtieri (rickgualtieri) Ren wrote: "I can't get motivated to edit my second novel. I just self-published my first and it's still getting out there. I know I have to get the second in the series finished, but I just can't get into it...."

That's interesting. Usually editing is what motivates me more - having a finished product in front of me that just requires polishing. It's that nearness to the finish line and wanting to possibly get there one day sooner that gets me going. Usually that's a lot easier than starting from scratch again on a new WIP.

But that would be my advise. You've run 20 miles of the marathon. Just a little further and you'll be a multi-book author.

message 11: by Armada (new)

Armada Volya | 130 comments Ren wrote: "I can't get motivated to edit my second novel. I just self-published my first and it's still getting out there. I know I have to get the second in the series finished, but I just can't get into it...."

I just set up a schedule and no matter what, I have to get my ass-to-the-chair hours. I use it to edit and write new things, depending on how well my brain is working. I hate editing, so I feel your pain, but if you're forced to spend two hours a day staring at the screen, you'll have no other choice but to start editing.