YA Bookaholics discussion

Paper Towns
This topic is about Paper Towns
Archives > Paper Towns

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Jun 01, 2013 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) Here is our BOTM Robyn (as the Scavenger Hunt winner) chose for us to read! Tell us what you thought of it here.

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life - dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues - and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer Q gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

Kate (kaitlins16) I'll be rereading this book this month. :)

Rora (ffyreflyy) | 64 comments Its such a good, good book! Possibly my favorite John Green (this or The Fault in Our Stars, which is both amazing and amazingly sad).

Kate (kaitlins16) The same goes for me. I read Paper Towns before TFIOS, so I was already a huge John Green fan before I read that one.

This book . . . is so amazing. And hilarious. :D

Melissa (melissa_stoia) | 32 comments I absolutly love this book!! I used it to write like 8 essays in my lit class!!!

Kate (kaitlins16) What did you write about?

Melissa (melissa_stoia) | 32 comments I wrote about the bond of friendship, the power of a chursh, perspecvtives on people, self image, etc.

Kate (kaitlins16) Cool. I love it when a book can be very useful in essays.

Melissa (melissa_stoia) | 32 comments Yup but im done with essay for the year!!! now i can just read without stopping and writing!

message 10: by Rachael (last edited Jun 10, 2013 05:44PM) (new)

Rachael I feel like I should really check this book out

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) You really should. :)

message 12: by Rachael (new)

Rachael really quick ? what is it about

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) Basically, it's about Q trying to find out where Margo went. She runs away.

It's also about the concept of" paper towns" that Margo has, but I'll let you figure that out when you read it. (I'm really bad with describing books. That's why I put the GR description at the top of the BOTM discussions.)

message 14: by Rachael (new)

Rachael ok i will check it out

Caileigh Call (caileighann) | 9 comments Before i joined this book group, I was and still am reading this book! I'll do a full review on it when i'm done!

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) Question #1

What do you think of the "paper towns" idea?

Question # 2

Was Paper Towns the first book you read by John Green? If not, what other book did you read? If so, do want to read more from him?

message 17: by Rora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rora (ffyreflyy) | 64 comments I've read all of them, pretty much as each one came out. Looking for Alaska was my least favorite. I'm not sure how much of that was the story and how much of it was just "first novel syndrome". I need to reread it sometime and see. My favorites are this or Fault in our Stars, but I also really love Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Caileigh Call (caileighann) | 9 comments I wrapped this book up last night. It was my favorite John Green to be honest. I guess i was expecting more because of The Fault In Our Stars. I've read(in this order): The Fault In Our Stars,Looking For Alaska,& then Paper Towns. The Fault In Our Stars was,in my opinion, better than paper towns.

Caileigh Call (caileighann) | 9 comments *it wasn't

message 20: by Rora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rora (ffyreflyy) | 64 comments Yeah, as good as A Fault in our Stars was, I'm not sure if I'd like it *as much* if I hadn't read it 2 months after my uncle died of brain cancer. Gave the book real perspective, you know?

Caileigh Call (caileighann) | 9 comments Yes I understand & I'm sorry for your loss. The comic relief in TFIOS made it easier & better to read in my opinion

message 22: by Rora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rora (ffyreflyy) | 64 comments Thanks, and I agree.

message 23: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary | 6 comments I haven't read any of his books yet but I have four of his books I'm going to start off with the fault in our stars

Caileigh Call (caileighann) | 9 comments That's the one i started with first too! It's my favorite John Green Book so far!

Brittany I just finished reading Paper Towns and I really enjoyed it. I read it all in one day and I found it both refreshing and humorous. The characters are so real compared to - erm - othercharacters we're reading about this month. XD

I think the idea of paper towns was both interesting on the physical and metaphorical level. I think we've all met people we can safely consider "papery" and even I've felt that way from time to time. The idea to base a book where so much happens on a place that supposedly doesn't even exist is very interesting. I enjoyed going along for the ride.

This was my first John Green novel. Unlike the rest of the world I haven't read The Fault in our Stars yet, but I hope to soon. As well as the other two he's written.

kathy (kpplus3) I'm jumping to the end of comments since I haven't finished yet. Love this book. I haven't read this author previously but Looking for Alaska had been recommended to me previously. So far the book of the month selections have all be great reads.

message 27: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) I'm finally reading this book again. I'm going to read it slowly so I can enjoy it as much as I can.

I'll be posting updates for the books a lot (not on here, but through my profile).

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) Here is the honest truth: the ending made me cry. They were little tears--the kind that just spring up when you feel so moved you can't resist to release a few tears. I finished it and I still have tears in my eyes.

This was my third time reading Paper Towns, I believe, but I hasn't gotten old. It will always be one of my favorites.

Alicia (hazard0us) | 3 comments I read Looking for Alaska and then TFIOS and then this one. It's not one of my favorites by John Green. I actually really love Will Grayson Will Grayson.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) have reached chapter 10 - finding it a bit slow so far, but much much better than Looking for Alaska