YA Bookaholics discussion

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
This topic is about Insurgent
Archives > Insurgent (Divergent #2)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate (kaitlins16) Here is our BOTM Rora (as last month's Themed Challenge winner) chose for us to read! Tell us what you thought of it here.

One choice can transform you, or destroy you. Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Robyn I've read Insurgent and I really enjoyed it! It's a great follow up to Divergent and I found it hard to put down : )

Emma (emma_reader) | 77 comments I loved Insurgent, but I thought Divergent was better.

Kate (kaitlins16) Question 1:

How is this book compared to Divergent?

Question 2:

What do you think of the fractions now that each one has been showcased?

Shannon I didn't like this book as much as Divergent. I felt confused as to why Four and Tris were even together since they don't seem to talk or trust each other in this book. They are either bickering or ignoring each other most of the time. It would have been nice if their relationship was the one "light in the darkness" or one good thing in all the bad. Unfortunately it added to the heavy awful feeling of this book.

I guess I thought it would be more interesting if it sort of showed how it would have been had Tris picked Amity or Candor instead - we saw the factions but we didn't really experience both positives and negatives in each. There were so many really cool things that happened in Divergent and I thought Insurgent didn't have those fun moments like capture the flag or the zip-lining, getting tattoos, falling in love... I know it's war but it would have been nice to have some lighter moments of fun since they are teenagers.. There was that one paintball moment, which seemed so out of place in this book of misery.

I will say this story is complex and unpredictable, which is a really great thing, I just wish it had a few positive moments mixed in with everything else.

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Jun 20, 2013 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brittany I guess I'll jump into the discussion even though I read it an age ago. Maybe talking about it will bring back some of the details I've forgotten. XD

Like a lot of you, I didn't like this one as much as the first. I think I liked the first because we got to see so much world and character building. I found the ideas and tests and ceremonies concerning the factions fascinating and I was eager to see out Triss would deal with everything. And of course the budding romance between her and Tobias. But I think the second had a little too much drama for my liking. And Triss was starting to annoy me, too. Being reckless, then forcing Tobias to go and rescue her. No wonder they're having relationship issues... :/

I did like seeing Amity, showcased, though. It was my favorite of the factions and the one I always imagined I'd choose. I hope we get to see more of the factions in the final installment.

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 341 comments I would have chose Amity too. Lol
This book was more violent than Divergent.

Brittany I know, right? Happy Bread! :D

And I felt so sorry for the little girl who got caught up in the bloodbath who had to pretend she was dead. D:

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 341 comments Yeah Happy Bread. So good to be drugged for happiness. And when does that scene comes? Its been a long time since I've read these books.

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) Haha, I guess I'm a little weird then. I think I liked Insurgent better (and if not, then the I liked it the same) than Divergent. Maybe it's because I actually like drama. It keeps me interested.

What I absolutely loved seeing in Insurgent is the movement from one faction to another. I usually enjoy novels that don't sit in one spot or focus on one area. In this book, we get to know each faction personally and learn its strengths and weaknesses. It's an incredibly important part in the world building, and I love it.

Sonya | 13 comments I read both Divergent and Insurgent some time ago- I liked both books... A LOT! I can remember with both books saying "just one more chapter, then I'm going to bed" lol. I am super excited about Allegiant, although it is much shorter than the first two I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Kristen | 1 comments I love this series! a friend recommeneded Divergent to me and I read it in one day. I took my time with Insurgent because I know I have to wait for the third one to come out. I love how it sucks you in, I couldn't put either book down!

Alicia (hazard0us) | 3 comments I absolutely love this series. This first one caught my attention from the start and I honestly could not put it down.
This one was even better, I literally had to take a break because there was so much intensity and the development of the characters was just great and it had so much emotion.
I really loved this book and I've read about three times. One of my favorite series, and Tris is definitely one of my favorite female characters and, of course, so is Four.

message 14: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) I'm finished!!

Simmaron (mybookedlife) | 341 comments So what do you think about it?

message 16: by roshay (new)

roshay (sadderdaze) I am going to write a review pretty soon (Once I finish Divergent's review xD)
I'll send you guys a link. :)