YA Bookaholics discussion

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)
This topic is about Starcrossed
Archives > Starcrossed

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kate (kaitlins16) Here is our BOTM that you voted for in the Mythology Themed polls! Tell us what you thought of it here.

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Chelsea (avidereader) | 9 comments I am new to this group. What do you do if you already read this book? In fact, I just finished reading Goddess, the last book in the series. Well, I really loved this series. It has a lot of twists and turns and it keeps you on your toes, wondering what will happen next. As for Helen and Lucas.....their love for each other just sweeps you off your feet. I literally wept for them throughout this book and the entire series.

Kate (kaitlins16) A lot of times, there will be people who have already read one or more of our BOTMs. That is why we have so many. We want to give everyone at least something to read.

It's also why we have trivia to test your knowledge and memory of the books you have read. :)

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Brittany Starcrossed isn't available at my library... Can I read any kind of mythological book and have it still count toward the challenge?

And how do some people "win" and get to choose a BotM? Just curious. :)

Kate (kaitlins16) You can read any mythological books for the challenge.

Someone wins the themed challenge by earning the most points. If you go to any of the submission threads or the main Themed Challenge thread, the points system and process is all laid out.

However, I just posted a thread today requesting any ideas on how to improve the challenge. So if you have any ideas for the challenge, please post them there.

Brittany Do we need to keep track of our points or will you or the other mods figure that out? I'm at a disadvantage not having the Themed BotM, but I'll try to compete. :)

Kate (kaitlins16) I run the Themed Challenge, so every once in awhile I tally up the points.

Melissa (melissa_stoia) | 32 comments This book has a slow start

Melissa (melissa_stoia) | 32 comments Did anyone finish this book yet becaus I need to rant to someone!

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) I read it last summer. Rant away. You can put in the spoiler link if you would like.

message 11: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (kaitlins16) Question #1

How did you like (or not like) the mythological elements of this book?

Question #2

How was your favorite character and why?

message 12: by Shav (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shav (keelahlove) | 429 comments Melissa wrote: "Did anyone finish this book yet becaus I need to rant to someone!"

I finished it yesterday :)

message 13: by Shav (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shav (keelahlove) | 429 comments Kaitlin wrote: "Question #1

How did you like (or not like) the mythological elements of this book?

Question #2

How was your favorite character and why?"

1. I really loved the mythological elements in this book! Because most greek mythology books are about the Hades and Persephone myth and this was completely different from that and I was kind of relieved to read something else not related to the Hades and Persephone myth
2. My favorite character was Claire. Claire is Helen's best friend and she's always known that there was something inhuman about Helen but decided to stick along anyway.

Brittany Finally finished the book! It had something of a slow start, and it tended to drag in some parts of the story, but I enjoyed it overall. I'm looking forward to continuing the series here in the group. =)

I'll be honest, I expected a Percy Jackson rip-off when I first read the blurb. In my mind, no one can better write mythology than Riordan, but I was pleasantly surprised. Angelini was able to put her own refreshing take on the Greek myths and I liked how the aspects of the demigods was handled so differently than other writers.

My favorite character was Hector. He played such a big roll in the story and he didn't put up with any of Helen's "pity party" crap. He's also one of the more "flawed" individuals and I look forward to finding out what happens to him in the future installments of the series.