Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Gabriel Garcia Marquez Collectio > One Hundred Years of Solitude *NO spoilers, please*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Add your comments here.

message 2: by Mo (new)

Mo | 53 comments I hope to join in as soon as I finish what I'm currently reading!

message 3: by Mo (new)

Mo | 53 comments It's been so long that I've read this book! I'm really enjoying the beautiful writing. What really impresses me is that we are reading a translation. I'm tempted to try to read it in Spanish, but I would probably have to look up every third word!

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (superkatness) | 162 comments I read the first chapter in Spanish, but I had to look up so many words that I switched to my English paperback copy. For me, the book read like being in a dream in which you know you're dreaming because of all the crazy things that are happening, but is real enough that when you wake up the dream stays with you the whole day and makes you feel unpleasantly out of sync.

message 5: by Mo (new)

Mo | 53 comments Great image, Kat! I agree.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I agree, Kat. Nice description.

message 7: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I have been looking forward to reading this since the beginning of the year. May even jump the gun and start this month.

message 8: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I read this years ago, and loved it. I think it's what started my love of magical realism. I won't be re-reading it (too many books, too little time and all that), but I'll be watching the discussion.

message 9: by Bruce (new)

Bruce I just finished listening to the new audio version in March. I was impressed, and it took me a while to digest and appreciate what I had heard. For me that was a sign of a very good book.

message 10: by Melanti (last edited Apr 17, 2014 01:57PM) (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Just saw in the other thread that Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez died today so the "revisit the shelf" choice is coincidentally timed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/bo...

message 11: by MK (last edited May 10, 2014 04:47PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nice article. Thanks for posting, Melanti.

-------

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Solitude was chosen from monthly nominations as our May Revisit the Shelf Group Read. It was previously a group read for our Contemporary Classics section in June, 2013. Please use this thread for First Impressions, (non-spoiler) Background/Author Material, etc. This thread is limited to discussions that DON'T include plot spoilers, so take care not to give away any plot points! :)

-------

For the thread open to full discussions about the book, here is the link to the Spoiler thread.

Thankyou! Happy Reading :D

-------

Of special note, sadly, Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez passed away this month, there is also an In Memoriam thread, if you'd care to post on it.

-------

Link to nominating thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Link to poll - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...
Link to the folder for Solitude discussions - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

-------

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria | 8 comments Today is a sad day :( If you can, I recommend you to read García Márquez's novels in the original Spanish, it's such a beautiful experience.

message 13: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I wish I could, Maria! My daughter could! I cannot ..

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Apr 17, 2014 04:47PM) (new)

Maria wrote: "Today is a sad day :( If you can, I recommend you to read García Márquez's novels in the original Spanish, it's such a beautiful experience."

I will try. Maybe use the English & Spanish versions together. Like when I read Neruda -- English does not do justice to his poetry.

Pablo Neruda Pablo Neruda

message 15: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I also started to read it in Spanish, but stopped in the middle, because I was busy with exams.
Even if I have to look up 3 words on every page it's a wonderful opportunity to improve my language skills.
I'm very much looking forward to come back to it next month.

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Phil wrote: "I also started to read it in Spanish, but stopped in the middle, because I was busy with exams.
Even if I have to look up 3 words on every page it's a wonderful opportunity to improve my language ..."

Only 3 word per page! You are much better than me.

message 17: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Been studying for years, Kathy.
By the way, how do I quote people? Can I do that with the mobile app as well?

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Phil wrote: "Been studying for years, Kathy.
By the way, how do I quote people? Can I do that with the mobile app as well?"

You can't do the book/author links on the mobile app. But otherwise use the "add book/author" link on the right and above the comment box.

message 19: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah I am definitely going to re-read this in May. I have read it twice already, but the last time was many years ago. It remains my favourite of his books.

message 20: by Maria (new)

Maria | 8 comments Kathy wrote: "Phil wrote: "I also started to read it in Spanish, but stopped in the middle, because I was busy with exams.
Even if I have to look up 3 words on every page it's a wonderful opportunity to improve..."

I understand you both. Books written by South-American authors are sometimes difficult even for me! (I'm from Spain and I occasionally find myself looking up unknown words in the dictionary! haha)

message 21: by Elvira (new)

Elvira Dobis Hey all! This is my first group read! I've always wanted to read this one so I'm excited about it!

message 22: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Elvira wrote: "Hey all! This is my first group read! I've always wanted to read this one so I'm excited about it!"

Fabulous! Glad to have you joining us, Elvira :) Hello, and welcome to the group!

I just put this on hold at my library. There doesn't appear to be a kindle version of the book, which I thought was interesting.

message 23: by S.W. (last edited Apr 28, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

S.W. Fairbrother (swfairbrother) Another first group read here :) I've been intending to read this for ages, so I'm really pleased it was chosen.

MK, I just downloaded mine from Amazon. I've had a look and weirdly there seems to be a copy on amazon.co.uk but not on amazon.com.

I've found sometimes if I click on a link to the US site, there's 'do you want to see it in uk' (or something like that). Maybe have a look at the UK link and see you get a nudge the other way?

The .co.uk link is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hundred-Years...

message 24: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Wow, interesting there's a kindle on amazon.co.uk !!

Thanks for posting, S.W. I did put a hold on it at my library, but I will check it out.

Cool on 1st group read! Welcome, so glad you're joining us :))

message 25: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments S.W. wrote: "Another first group read here :) I've been intending to read this for ages, so I'm really pleased it was chosen.

MK, I just downloaded mine from Amazon. I've had a look and weirdly there seems to ..."

ahh, update. It wouldn't let me download from the *.co.uk site. I got a region-restriction notice:

Kindle titles for your country are not available at Amazon.co.uk.
Please shop for Kindle titles at Amazon.com.

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) I've had this book sitting on my shelf for a while so I'm ready for this read.

message 27: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I started this late last night. Only two chapters so far but I think I'm going to like it.

message 28: by MK (last edited May 10, 2014 04:48PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments MK wrote: "I put my hold request in at the library :D"

I picked my copy up :). Not ready to start until the 1st tho, I'm still working on April books ;-).

------

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a reminder that this thread is for NON-SPOILER information only, and to include some easy navigation links to the rest of the discussion threads for Solitude.

This is edited into one of the posts at the top, but just in case no one scrolls up, here it is again:

-------

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Solitude was chosen from monthly nominations as our May Revisit the Shelf Group Read. It was previously a group read for our Contemporary Classics section in June, 2013. Please use this thread for First Impressions, (non-spoiler) Background/Author Material, etc. This thread is limited to discussions that DON'T include plot spoilers, so take care not to give away any plot points! :)

-------

For the thread open to full discussions about the book, here is the link to the Spoiler thread.

Thankyou! Happy Reading :D

-------

Of special note, sadly, Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez passed away this month, there is also an In Memoriam thread, if you'd care to post on it.

-------

Link to nominating thread - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Link to poll - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/9...
Link to the folder for Solitude discussions - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

-------

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments This will be my first group read - really looking forward to it :-)

message 30: by Luna (new)

Luna  (lunaluss) I am actually tempted to read this with you all, but I have only the book in French, not English. Would that be ok?

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments I will be reading it in Danish - I do not read spanish, and though I read alot in english, I only do that if it was originally written in english - have read my russian classics in danish as well :-)

message 32: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments LunaBelle wrote: "I am actually tempted to read this with you all, but I have only the book in French, not English. Would that be ok?"

Of course! Read it in whatever language you are most comfortable with. Discussions should be in English tho ;-)

message 33: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Julie wrote: "I will be reading it in Danish - I do not read spanish, and though I read alot in english, I only do that if it was originally written in english - have read my russian classics in danish as well :-)"

Makes sense!

message 34: by Luna (new)

Luna  (lunaluss) MK wrote: "LunaBelle wrote: "I am actually tempted to read this with you all, but I have only the book in French, not English. Would that be ok?"

Of course! Read it in whatever language you are most comforta..."

Of course!
Actually It would be interestign to compare our various understanding of the novel, depending on the language it's translated into (that is if any differences are visible)

message 35: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I agree, LunaBelle

message 36: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | -1 comments Started this a few days early. I'm really liking it.

message 37: by Renato (new)

Renato (renatomrocha) One of my favorite books! Hope you guys enjoy it!

message 38: by Elvira (new)

Elvira Dobis I'm on a waiting list at the library! I hope this comes soon! I'm excited to start it.

message 39: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Renato wrote: "One of my favorite books! Hope you guys enjoy it!"

I hope so too! Welcome, Renato, glad to have you join us :). If you're interested, I'm sure many of us would love to hear your thoughts on the book! (This thread is for non-spoiler comments, the other is for spoilers :) )

message 40: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Matt wrote: "This guy is hilarious (and so romantic):

"I want to be alone with you," he said. "One of these days I'm going to tell everybody and we can stop all of this sneaking around."

She did not try to ca..."

Go ahead and start posting in the spoiler thread, Matt.

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | -1 comments Gosh, this is an intense read. A lot is packed into it. I'm only on page 60.

message 42: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Matt wrote: "I'm sorry, I wouldn't have thought that snippet was a spoiler. I'll edit it out.

So I don't make the mistake again, what does get posted in the non-spoiler thread? This didn't list any names or to..."

I didn't see the original comment, but yea, that's generally what I think of a spoiler-y too. Things that might be on a book blurb, or are general characterizations about character or environment or writing, things that aren't part of a 'reveal', those I never am wishing I didn't read, as I read through comment threads.

message 43: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments You guys are making me want to jump in!!!

message 44: by MK (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:08PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I need to be able to read ALL THE BOOKS! ALL AT ONCE!. (ala Allie Brosh)

I'm not asking for too much, am I? *grin*

I'll see you guys in a week-ish. Gotta work on some other stuff first. *coughItsStillAprilcough*

;-)))

message 45: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I'm going to start Mockingbird tomorrow. This one next. I might see you in a couple days, then, it sounds like! :DD

(You don't have to drag it out, I was just goofing around)

message 46: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I agree with Matt, I jumped the gun and started reading a couple of days ago, it is pretty good.

message 47: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Davis | 4 comments Another first group read, here! I've been wanting to read this book for years, so very happy it was the May Contemp Classics choice. I'm about 60 pp. in. I agree with Kat's comments about the dreamlike, quasi-magical quality ... reminds me a bit of The Crock of Gold.

message 48: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 118 comments I'm finding I have to put myself into a certain "zone" when reading this book, almost letting my brain relax to keep remembering that this is a fictional place.

message 49: by Rachel (last edited May 07, 2014 08:09AM) (new)

Rachel So, the copy that I am reading is the large print version from the library because the other 2 versions were checked out. Let me just say WOW! The print is huge, and has no chapters. At first it was difficult for me to get into the book, but after about 30 pages into the story I really like it. The characters are so fascinating, and it's very entertaining. Wonderful read so far.

message 50: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Rachel, that last sentence is probably a spoiler...

I am thinking of joining this read, but I think I have to borrow the book from my friend. (Out of 25 books in our whole city library system 24 are on loan and that one library is not close.) He did recommend it to me earlier (though our tastes are very different).

« previous 1 3 4