Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

David Copperfield
This topic is about David Copperfield
Charles Dickens Collection > David Copperfield: First Impressions, NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 28, 2017 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9560 comments Mod
Add your comments here. No spoilers please.

message 2: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 53 comments Just wanted to mention (because I just found it out myself) that Dickens wrote a "history of England for children." It's not exactly light reading, but for Dickens lovers it's fun because he interjects his quite opinionated opinions about the various kings, queens, and especially religious figures.

You can see why he might have been a fabulous storyteller to children.

Shelley
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks Shelley, is this the book you are talking about?

A Child's History of England by Charles Dickens by Charles Dickens Charles Dickens

Available Free for ebooks at Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/699

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can't believe I am so behind in my reading this month. I haven't even started this book! This is one of my dearest friends top reads! And I've never read it before.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

A brief plot summary for those who want to know:

(view spoiler)
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Co...)

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Jun 09, 2013 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Film & Theatrical Versions:

1911, directed by Theodore Marston
1913, directed by Thomas Bentley
1922, directed by A. W. Sandberg
1935, directed by George Cukor
1966, a 13 part TV serial that aired in 1966.
1969, directed by Delbert Mann, featuring numerous English classical actors.
1974, directed by Joan Craft
1986, directed by Barry Letts, shown on BBC 1986/87
1993, animated, shown on NBC
1999, shown on BBC
2000, directed by Peter Medak

Sara Weather (saraweather) How do you put spoilers in a post?
I am on chapter 16. Is anybody else going to participate in the discussions?

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

To do a spoiler

type a <
Then type in the word spoiler
Then close with a >

Then just type whatever you want to write, then at the end you have to

type
Then close with a >

If that doesn't make sense, click on the (some html is ok) link at the top right of the comment box and it gives hints too.

Hope that helps.

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I do plan to read this book, almost finished with Jane Eyre -- I'll probably start David Copperfield this week.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë by Charlotte Brontë Charlotte Brontë

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Weather (saraweather) Kathy wrote: "To do a spoiler

type a <
Then close with a >

Then just type whatever you want to write, then at the end you have to

type
Then clo..."

Thank you. Take your time with Jane Eyre it is a really good book.

message 12: by L (new) - rated it 4 stars

L Have been reading on kindle cloud. Not quite what I expected so far. I am only about 40 pages in.

message 13: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just finished Jane Eyre and it is about the end of the month. I guess I'll save David Copperfield for another time. One of these months I'll actually read a book during the month chosen and not have to rely on the Re-visit the Shelf.

message 14: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

February 2014 Revisit the Shelf Read.

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 28, 2017 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I changed this thread to the non-spoiler thread.

Cheryl Wedesweiler (cherylwedesweiler) I am listening to an audio version of this book. Maybe I read it in high school-its been 30 years. I am so enjoying it-I am crocheting while I listen. I am making an afghan for charity.
I am on Chapter 24.

message 17: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wow, Cheryl. You are making some progress. It will be February before I can start. Finishing up a few books here the last couple days of January.

Cheryl Wedesweiler (cherylwedesweiler) I found this book very entertaining. Although Dickens gets a little wordy at times, it is very endearing in this novel from 1849. I was sad when it finally ended, but all of the loose ends were tied up. Now, I am sure that we didn’t read this one in high school English-we read a lot of other books. This one, in print, is 891 pages and 64 chapters. And, listening to a classic on audio is such a treat: It is like listening to a little unabridged play because each character speaks with a voice for him or her.

message 19: by MK (last edited Feb 20, 2014 01:24PM) (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Cheryl wrote: "I am listening to an audio version of this book. Maybe I read it in high school-its been 30 years. I am so enjoying it-I am crocheting while I listen. I am making an afghan for charity.
I am on Ch..."

Cheryl, I think I may do a late 'read' of this book in March, and go with the audio book too. My library has two options: © 1992, David Case contributor, Frederick Davidson narrating, ?? hours, audio book download; or © 2009, Simon Vance narrating, 34 hours, audio book on CD.

Which narrator did you listen to (there are likely others as well), and do you recommend that narrator?

The Simon Vance Audible audiobook version is also available at a reduced $2.99 price as part of a Whispersync pair, once you download the free ebook from Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/David-Copperfie...

message 20: by Daisy (last edited Feb 20, 2014 01:19PM) (new) - added it

Daisy (bellisperennis) MK wrote: "I think I may do a late 'read' of this book in March."

This is a good book so far. Like you MK, if you don't mind that I borrow your term, I think I might do a "late read" also, and a slow read. I'm on chapter 6.

message 21: by MK (last edited Feb 20, 2014 01:23PM) (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Of course not, Daisy! I probably swiped it from someone in this group, heh ;-). It does seem like a good book, one I'd likely enjoy!

message 22: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 21, 2014 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cheryl Wedesweiler (cherylwedesweiler) I listened to SENSE AND SENSIBILITY on a device that I checked out at the library called a PLAYAWAY-I just put a battery in it and use my own headphones. It was read by Nadia May. I did the same for the book DAVID COPPERFIELD, since it was only in that available in that format.

message 23: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments TY, Cheryl :). Do you recall which narrator you listened to for David Copperfield? Trying to decide if I should go with the CDs or the audiobook download (different narrators).

Cheryl Wedesweiler (cherylwedesweiler) MK wrote: "TY, Cheryl :). Do you recall which narrator you listened to for David Copperfield? Trying to decide if I should go with the CDs or the audiobook download (different narrators)."

No. sorry I don't.

message 25: by MK (new) - added it

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments ahh, oh well. thx! :)

message 26: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 53 comments It's hard to find a genius more conflicted about women than Dickens.

Shelley
http://dustbowlstory.wordpress.com

Cheryl Wedesweiler (cherylwedesweiler) "David Copperfield" is on Turner Classic Movies (256-here) at 1:30 AM 03/03 (Pacific time). Check TVGuide.com for your area.

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just didn't get to this book this month. I have got to remember to nominate it for a long quarterly read!

message 29: by Daisy (last edited Mar 09, 2014 02:26PM) (new) - added it

Daisy (bellisperennis) Kathy wrote: "I have got to remember to nominate it for a long quarterly read!"

Kathy, good idea. I was just wishing that it was a quarterly long read!

message 30: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

:)

message 31: by Annina (new) - added it

Annina | 121 comments I read David Copperfield one summer, when I was traveling around Europe. I bought it from Amsterdam, where I found this English Bookstore.

It's years ago, but I remember thinking that it's very good book. It made me want to read more Dickens, but I haven't really read any after that cause always comes something else to read.

message 32: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Mar 28, 2017 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This is one of my best girlfriend's favorite book. So I have to read it. Just finding the time.

And yes, reading just makes me find more books to read.

message 33: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob | 4960 comments Mod
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens our Long Read for the 4th Quarter, (Oct.-Dec.) 2019.

This is the No Spoiler Thread
The Spoiler Thread will open Octover 1st.

This early posting of the No Spoiler thread is to discuss any non-plot issues pertaining to the book.

Appropriate Posts can contain:
1. Information about the author.
2. Compare editions/translations.
3. Any historical or background information
4. Are you familiar with this author’s work? Do you have any expectations going into the book?
5. What made you decide to read this book?
6. Any fan fiction that you have read or would like to read? Just link the books.
7. If you loved the book and want others to share in that experience, use this thread to motivate others, again save plot specifics for the Spoiler thread
8. If you hated the book, it would be best to keep that for the spoiler page

The most important thing to remember is no plot discussion. Any post that contains plot information or spoilers will be deleted.

Christine | 1217 comments I have this book on audio narrated by Simon Vance. Vance is one of my favorite narrators and I've enjoyed everything else I've read by Dickens, so I'm really hoping to join in on this group read.

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 4 stars

I probably won't do a reread of this one, although it has been a couple of years since I've read it. I may pop in for the discussion though.

Philina | 1562 comments I‘ve also got a lot of Simon Vance audiobooks. This time, though, it‘ll be Richard Armitage reading.

Terry | 1622 comments I am reading the free Gutenberg version. Dickens has such a great readable style — this will be great!

Piyangie | 439 comments Read it last year, so won't be rereading. I hope all those members who read will enjoy this read. To me, it was one amazing read. It is now one of my favourites.

message 39: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 587 comments I really look forward to listening to the audiobook narrated by Richard Armitage.

Michaela | 674 comments I´ve never been such a big Dickens fan, but perhaps some of you may alter this! ;) Too depressing, and sooo long!
Want to listen to the audiobook performed by Richard Armitage, who has a remarkable voice, and I also heard that his performance of the book is amazing.

message 41: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 587 comments Michaela wrote: "I´ve never been such a big Dickens fan, but perhaps some of you may alter this! ;) Too depressing, and sooo long!
Want to listen to the audiobook performed by Richard Armitage, who has a remarkable..."

I'd listen to Richard Armitage reading a dictionary...so there's that, lol

Michaela | 674 comments Sarah wrote: "Michaela wrote: "I´ve never been such a big Dickens fan, but perhaps some of you may alter this! ;) Too depressing, and sooo long!
Want to listen to the audiobook performed by Richard Armitage, who..."

Definitely! :)

message 43: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Morton | 1 comments Havent read any Dickens since high school. Lookng forward to this one. Will be reading the Vintage Classics edition

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I'm going to join in but it probably won't be until late November.

message 45: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments I'm going to join in in November also

message 46: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Green | 178 comments Count me in... this books been on my TBR pile for years. I love Dickens but have avoided it simply because of the 'epic' nature that surrounds it. A group read should be perfect.

message 47: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 126 comments I will join you on this one. :)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 298 comments I'll be joining in, Dickens is a big favourite of mine but I've never read this one. I have the Vintage Classics edition too.

message 49: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka | 0 comments I am definately a huge fan of Dickens but I have never read this one. So I am excited to start this one soon.

message 50: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments I'm starting! I wasn't in the mood for my other books so I'm not waiting until November anymore

« previous 1