Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
This topic is about The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
Monthly Reads > The Story of Saiunkoku Discussion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments This is where we discuss The Story of Saiunkoku. We are reading and discussing volumes 1-3. Please remember to hide all spoilers.

Shurei Hong, destitute but of noble birth, has always dreamed of working as a civil servant in the imperial court of Saiunkoku, but women are barred from holding office. The emperor Ryuki, however, refuses to take command, leaving everything to his advisors. Shurei is asked to become a consort to the emperor to persuade the ne’er-do-well ruler to govern.

Shurei enters the palace as Ryuki's consort, but he has yet to seek her out. It is rumored that men, not women, share the emperor's bedchamber. Shurei must think of a way to stop the emperor from shirking his responsibilities, but she has to find him first!

Natalie | 10 comments I will admit while this was nothing spectacular, it was a very entertaining and funny manga series. Volumes 1-3 anyway. The characters were likable and the drama that was placed in was also surprisingly good too. I think I read up to volume 5. I don't remember, I might have to look on my profile.