She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > July Recommendations [Now Closed]

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (last edited Jun 12, 2013 07:49PM) (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) We will now be taking recommendations for our July group reads!

Theme for July: Open!

Recommendations will be taken from June 1st - 14th - so be sure to get in early and suggest what you would like to see read!

Here's the guidelines for recommending books for new group members, and old hands alike:

1. Every month we read one comic book, one novel, and one manga. Comics and manga can fall under any genre, but please note that novels must fall under the heading of science fiction or fantasy (and any of their sub-genres).

2. Please recommend books that have not been previous group reads. You can see which books we've read previously here.

3. Be specific. Don't say "any book by ______". It won't be counted.

4. Please link your book in your thread so members can easily look it up.

5. Suggest a book that you think would be good for a large group discussion - that's the point of this group bringing us all together!

How voting works

We choose the top three in each category for the final vote from the 15th - 21st of the month based on how many votes it has.

1. All members can vote on a book/comic/manga they would like to read if somebody suggests it. Simply reply to the thread with "I'm voting for ______" or "VOTE: _____" and it will be counted. The books with the most votes get chosen to be put into the final three poll in the 3rd week of the month. Only comments with the word "vote" somewhere in it will be counted as such in order to avoid confusion.

2. Please only vote for a work ONCE. Multiple votes for the same works will not be counted.

3. You can change or modify your votes as many times as you'd like before the thread closes on the 14th.

4. In the case where two or more books are have equal votes, the book that was suggested first (as indicated by the timestamp on the thread) will enter the poll for the month.

All members do not have to read, recommend, or vote for all three genres - if you only want to suggest and read a novel, that's fine! We're a pretty diverse group here.

The poll with the top three chosen titles of each category will go live on June 15th. A message to all group members will be sent out when that commences.

Let's get recommending!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) Okay, I'm going to get this party started with my recommendations for July:

We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

Incognito (Incognito, #1) by Ed Brubaker
Incognito by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips

message 3: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 34 comments Comic:
Birds of Prey, Vol. 1 Trouble in Mind by Duane Swierczynski
Birds of Prey by Duane Swierczynski

Manga:
Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1) by Chie Shinohara
Red River by Chie Shinohara

Novel:
Sword-Dancer (Tiger and Del, #1) by Jennifer Roberson
Sword Dancer by Jennifer Roberson

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan | 3 comments I'm voting for WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin.

Cornerofmadness | 7 comments I'd like to suggest:

Book The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley by Daniel O'Malley (urban fantasy

manga: Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 by Kazue Kato by Kazue Kato

message 6: by Animal (last edited Jun 04, 2013 11:49PM) (new)

Animal Media Group (AMGLLC) | 2 comments I'd like to suggest:

Comic:
Marvels by Kurt Busiek
Marvels by Kurt Busiek

Book:
The Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro
The Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro

Magna:
Case Closed, Vol. 1 by Gosho Aoyama
Case Closed, Vol. 1 by Gosho Aoyama

message 7: by Anna (Bananas) (new)

Anna (Bananas) | 758 comments For book
Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

And manga. I have to keep trying. It looks so awesome.
Me and the Devil Blues The Unreal Life of Robert Johnson, Volume 1 by Akira Hiramoto

And I vote Incognito for comic.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments I vote for:
We  by Yevgeny Zamyatin and Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

And I recommend for comic: Promethea Vol 1
Promethea, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore
:)

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 43 comments Web of the Spider Queen As it has been on my TBR for ages.

message 10: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 307 comments Mod
I'm voting for We and Promethea.

message 11: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 45 comments Vote from me for Incognito for graphic novel and Blue Exoricist for manga.

message 12: by Meghan (last edited Jun 06, 2013 10:57PM) (new)

Meghan Russnak | 3 comments I vote for The Rook

message 13: by KWinks (new)

KWinks   (icameheretoread) | 60 comments these all sound great...voting will be hard

message 14: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 50 comments Vote Promethea for comic.
Recommend Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti Mechanique A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine for book.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) Just a reminder - 3 more days left of recommendations! This thread will close on Friday night.

message 16: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 45 comments Laurel wrote: "Vote Promethea for comic.
Recommend Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus TresaultiMechanique A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti by Genevieve Valentine for book."

Steampunk and circuses? I vote!

message 17: by KWinks (new)

KWinks   (icameheretoread) | 60 comments Did we read Saga volume 1? Because vol 2 is about to hit. Man, I love that series.

message 18: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 307 comments Mod
Yea we have Kwink. It was actually my first monthly read here at She-Geeks and it was epic!

message 19: by Rebecca (last edited Jun 14, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments News from Nowhere, Or, an Epoch of Rest Being Some Chapters from a Utopian Romance by William Morris
I just felt like I needed to do this last minute recommendation: News from Nowhere by William Morris! It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now. ^^

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (xitomatl) Recommendations are now closed, thanks everybody for your suggestions!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.