Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Azumanga Daioh, Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh, #1)
This topic is about Azumanga Daioh, Vol. 1
Monthly Reads > Azumanga Daioh Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:33AM) (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments This is where we discuss Azumanga Daioh. We are reading and discussing all four volumes. Please remember to hide all spoilers.

It's tough to tell the difference between teacher and students in Azuma's comedy. Teacher Yukari Tanizaki is oblivious, immature, emotional and one of the people shaping young minds. Her students face difficulties in school that most never imagined. For example, as one pupil starts to ask a question, Miss Yukari cuts him off, stating she won't talk about her bra size. Another group of students are ready for their lessons, but instead of learning about social studies or science, they learn how Miss Yukari spent her weekend. Maybe that's not so bad, considering Miss Yukari's not the brightest bulb in the bunch and has her students correcting her on many technical points. Her students aren't sure how to react, but their bewilderment is half the charm of this manga.

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments This manga was so awesome! I love how half of the characters are completely obnoxious, and the other half are just trying to deal with it:P

message 3: by Kristen (last edited Jun 28, 2013 07:44PM) (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Haha, that's true. I tend to find the serious, dry characters to be my favorites. I love Sakaki. Everyone admires her and thinks she's so cool and serious, but in reality she loves all of the cute things even more than the average girl does. I find that contrast hilarious.

message 4: by Hannah (last edited Jun 01, 2013 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments I know, I love her character! And I also love Miss Yukari. She's the complete opposite of every other teacher character in EVERYTHING I've ever read.

Nekokit | 747 comments I love Miss Yukari as well! I love her funny personality and her dangerous driving!! All the characters are unique and it is just a plain funny manga.

Hannah (faize) | 194 comments Agreed!

Anna Ortiz (kameko4real) We're reading all 4 this month? D:
I thought it was just the first volume D:

And I did finish reading the first volume this morning. Please tell me the entire manga series isn't written and drawn with those panels? >_<

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I believe it is. It takes some getting used to, doesn't it?

message 9: by Anna (last edited Jun 02, 2013 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna Ortiz (kameko4real) Yes it really does. After a few pages I was hoping it would change to normal format, but when I realized it wasn't going to, it suddenly made sense as to why the anime is nothing but multiple clips x]

message 10: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I wasn't really able to get into the anime because of the weird format. I liked it in the manga, but it was hard to get used to. It's kind of like reading a bunch of newspaper comics all in a row. I think the Japanese sense of timing takes getting used to as well. The punchlines are in weird places.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Kristen wrote: "Haha, that's true. I tend to find the serious, dry characters to be my favorites. I love Sawako. Everyone admires her and thinks she's so cool and serious, but in reality she loves all of the cute ..."

I love her too, but this is Sakaki, not Sawako (thinking of Kimi ni Todoke?). What makes it even funnier is that cute things don't like her. Probably because she's large and imposing.

message 12: by Kristen (last edited Jun 06, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Oh. Haha! Oops! I'm bad at remembering character names. I usually look them up before I type them to make sure I got it right, but I didn't do it this time. That's what I get.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I can see why you got them confused. They're both misunderstood and look alike too.

Natalie | 10 comments The way the story is presented is a little odd. But the only thing I liked was the comedy from most of the characters. Two were slightly annoying but for the most part it was good.