Books I Want To Talk About discussion

Archives > Mary - General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jan 23, 2008 06:02PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) | 284 comments Mod
Discuss Mary by Janis Cooke Newman here.

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 15 comments has anyone read this book? it is fascinating! I am a third of the way through for the second time. I started to re-read it again after discussing it with a freind and realized that there may have been a few things I missed.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 423 comments Mod
What's this about Kimberly? I've never heard about this one.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 15 comments Its about Mary Lincoln (wife of President Lincoln). Its historical fiction but beautifully written.

She was incredibly strong-minded, opinionated, and passionate, which is why I think she had the troubles she had. She watched her mother die when she was very young, seduced Mr. Lincoln into marriage against the best wishes of her own wealthy family and lived in poverty while Mr. Lincoln figured out his career path. She was outspoken for her time.

Without spoiling most of the book, it is written like she is writing or remembering it while locked up in a mental institution, which is where her son put her. Her story is fascinating and well worth the read! A strong woman such as this would be looked upon as a role model in our time, but in her time she was considered mentally ill and far out of place in the social graces.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 15 comments I finished this book (again) last night. I really think Mary was misunderstood, and with all of the "remedies" that were prescribed, its no wonder why she hallucinated.

She was a very passionate and strong woman who encountered so much tragedy without answers. I would love to discuss this with someone else who has read this book.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 423 comments Mod
Kimberly - It's definitely on my to-read list. I love historical fiction! I have to knock out a couple of other books first but I will get to this soon!