Buy No Books June Support Group discussion

The Bitch, Moan, Complain thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

For when you want to moan loudly that you just finished Volume 2 of something AND YOU DON'T FRICKING HAVE VOLUME THREE!!!

And other petty little problems like that. Grrr. Maybe the library has it.

message 2: by Sun (new)

Sun  (sunyoung) Swear to god...this made me think: if Captive Prince V3 shockingly comes out this month, I will bail on all of ya'll. Oh yeah...and NSI...

:)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

LOL. She just started working on Volume III, so you're safe. Also Dani is rewriting big parts of NSI. You are safe there too. Disappointing, I know.

I read Book #2 in Queen's Thief which has been on my Kindle forever. And I've been walking around it forever. I don't know if it was me or the book, but I thought it was kind of meh. I kind of want to read #3 to see what happens though. LOL.

message 4: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Ahahaha! That is a funny dilemma, to be stuck in No-Buy-Month, and can't buy the next series book until July.

Maybe we can warn each other too if someone knows the ending is a cliffhanger, etc...

And maybe I shouldn't read The Shattered Gates this month since I don't have the next part on me...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

ttg wrote: "Ahahaha! That is a funny dilemma, to be stuck in No-Buy-Month, and can't buy the next series book until July.

Maybe we can warn each other too if someone knows the ending is a cliffhanger, etc...
..."

For that one you need to have all of them available. The plot is so (intentionally) snarled through the first half of that series that you need to be able to keep reading in order to retain all the little threads that connect together. DON'T START IT!!

message 6: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "For that one you need to have all of them available. The plot is so (intentionally) snarled through the first half of that series that you need to be able to keep reading in order to retain all the little threads that connect together. DON'T START IT!!"

Gotcha. I'll save that one for later then. :D

message 7: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Weasel wrote: "I have all the Rifter books, I bought the whole bundle through Weightless after reading Wicked Gentlemen. That's something I could start this month I guess. No shortage.

Plus Cool & Lam #'s 2, 3..."

Pulpy covers FTW!

My plan is to read The Rifter this summer. 1,000 pages of Ginn Hale-goodness to look forward to. Although I'll be sad if I start running out of her work. Still Feral Machines to read too...

message 8: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I've added an icon for the group (starring Mean Cat, one of my comic characters.) Please feel free to bitch, moan, and complain at me. :)

No buy books

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay I love him. We needed a group icon too. Way to go ttg!

message 10: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) I just saw this and fell in love. You're so amazing, ttg!

message 11: by Sun (new)

Sun  (sunyoung) Love it!

I was walking around the 'hood today and found the cutest indie book store! I was dying once inside...so excited! And then REMEMBERED I can't buy anything! GAH! So sad...

Will return in July... :)

message 12: by Emma Sea (last edited Jun 02, 2013 02:52PM) (new)

Emma Sea (pekapeka) Supporting a cute local indie bookstore sounds like a fair reason to cheat to me.

message 13: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Weasel wrote: "He looks angry!"

He is angry. He's Mean Cat. That's part of his gig. :)

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 28 comments Mod
I actually haven't bought a new book in months and was going to buy some the other day but I saw this group and thought, "OK, what's one more month." Then I remembered that I finally got around to reading The Persian Boy and wanted to read the rest of the trilogy (even more annoying because I started with book two!) and that the SfD sequel comes out this month. Slightly bummed, but not too much. I can only have so much hope for anything called Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding.

message 15: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments I JUST bought a bunch of books at a super sale at a used bookstore I love-- I got I think 11 books and 3 DVDs for like $35. But now I have a whole pile of books and then I saw this group... This is good. This will encourage me NOT to buy random books at bookstores and estate sales like I do. I already have such a pile of books I should be reading that I might try Kate's plan of "whatever falls off the shelf today it is" ;)

(Although if a new manga volume comes out on sale in a series I've been wanting to read for a long time I, too, may pull a Weasel and cheat ;p)

message 16: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Ais wrote: "I JUST bought a bunch of books at a super sale at a used bookstore I love-- I got I think 11 books and 3 DVDs for like $35. But now I have a whole pile of books and then I saw this group... This is..."

I still want to read Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal with you and Jess (and anyone else), but I refuse to buy it until it goes down in price some.

And that's what I did with the first BDB book. The first four were given to me as a gift and I just picked up the first one at random. I discovered, though, that two of them are personally signed by the author to the person who gave them to me. Whoops.

message 17: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments Whoa that's weird, how did they end up giving you their personally signed book as a gift? Did they just not like the books that much and decided to regift them as a lazy gift? Or were they trying to recycle and gave you a book they loved but forgot it was signed to them?

I'm running on 4 hours of sleep today so if I'm ??? over really obvious things, that's why, sorry.

Anyway yeah Gulp is expensive... I see it's at about $17 at on Amazon but that's too much for me still right now. I really shouldn't be spending money on anything extraneous. So I might have to wait on that as well. Or I guess at some point we could all try to get it from the library at the same time but that would probably be difficult to guarantee.

message 18: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Ais wrote: "Whoa that's weird, how did they end up giving you their personally signed book as a gift? Did they just not like the books that much and decided to regift them as a lazy gift? Or were they trying t..."

I have no idea. I mean she offered to gift me the entire series and gave me the first 4 to see if I liked them. Not sure. *shrugs*

Yeah, I know. I went into Barnes the other day and squeed when I saw Gulp and then I saw the price and was like Oh my dear, Mary Roach, your book is going to have to wait...for a while. I picked up Stepen King's JFK novel from the library, but I had to return it. 1000+ pages is just not feasible for me right now.

message 19: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments I suck at actually reading books when they're checked out from the library. Which is funny since I used to be a star at it, checking out 14 at a time and bringing them back well under the limit. But I also had no money back then, and now I do, and I get lazy about it because if I buy it that also means I can wait years before reading it without any of those pesky library fees. But then it costs a zillion dollars.

I need a new system lol

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm caught up on my library books after trying and failing to get interested in WebMage. It will go back 1/2 unread tomorrow after only 2 renewals. But that still counts as a book off the TBR.

message 21: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments lol this group's existence helped me so much today XD I was near a Barnes & Noble and was about to walk in, despite having just spent a thousand million dollars on my dog's expensive food and treats, and despite not having a book I specifically wanted to buy-- when I stopped and thought, "No, it's Buy No Books June! I have a reason I can avoid going in there!"

And that alone was enough to convince me.

message 22: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments Kate wrote: "I'm caught up on my library books after trying and failing to get interested in WebMage. It will go back 1/2 unread tomorrow after only 2 renewals. But that still counts as a book off the TBR."

That's sad, the premise sounds interesting.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Ais wrote: "That's sad, the premise sounds interesting."

That's why I checked it out. But the magic is very undeveloped and the main character is a stupid twit who keeps walking into one disaster after another, even after he knows who's after him and that they want to kill him. Sooooo aggravating. The coolest part was the webdemons which could take demonish form to do tasks and then convert into laptops when they were doing web stuff or just hiding. :D

And yay! for resisting the BN store. That must have been really hard. I was looking at a couple new releases and last month I just would have unthinkingly bought them, but this group thing hovered in the back of my mind today and made me back off that one-click button. So win!

message 24: by Ais (new)

Ais (aisness) | 26 comments It was really hard because I'm drawn to BN and other bookstores like a moth to a flame lol

Also, ohh that makes sense. Too bad!

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 28 comments Mod
Good job resisting the B&N pull! The place is an angel and a demon all at once!

message 26: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Weasel wrote: "Getting through June w/o buying anything is going to be much less impressive if I don't manage to finish anything either. :/"

It's only June 6. No beating yourself up yet. :P

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Weasel wrote: "Getting through June w/o buying anything is going to be much less impressive if I don't manage to finish anything either. :/"

I read something on June 1...oh yeah, The Queen of Attolia. Since then it's been dnfs, a few lhnb short stories which are like fics, at 5-10k they don't count. And then nada. No reading the last 3-4 days at all. Like you say, it's not impressive to buy nothing when you don't feel like reading it anyway.

OTOH my yard is looking awesome.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

DNF'd a couple of Sherlock fics. I can't decide if it's because I'm really in a reading funk or they just weren't that good. Oh well, there will always be more.

Anyone read Kaje's long LHNB story?

message 29: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I haven't read it, but I also haven't opened my kindle in a week. I'm just soooo tired. I would like to at least start and finsh something, dammit. I heard Kaje's story was really good, though.

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess Candela (jesscandela) | 9 comments Mod
I did, but I don't count since I beta'ed it. :) FWIW, it's not perfect but I think it's one of her best.

I'm afraid I know that reading ennui too well, I hope it passes soon!

message 31: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I'm a little over 10% into Kaje's story, and I like it so far. It's different from her other work since it's fantasy, but it's a nice change of pace.

For fanfic, if you ever want to try XMFC, I thoroughly recommend Everyday Love in Stockholm. It's pretty amazing.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks ttg. I'll try it. I'm kind of weird with Xmen. Some I like, some I don't and there is no apparent reason to which ones work for me and which don't. Although I love AUs when Eric is all toppy-bossy and Charles quietly cuts him off at the knees. :D

message 33: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "Thanks ttg. I'll try it. I'm kind of weird with Xmen. Some I like, some I don't and there is no apparent reason to which ones work for me and which don't. Although I love AUs when Eric is all toppy-bossy and Charles quietly cuts him off at the knees. :D "

I love that too! :D Everyday is less like that--it's more...powerful. It's not a tragic story, but it made me cry. You may dig it, you may not.

message 34: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Kate wrote: "DNF'd a couple of Sherlock fics. I can't decide if it's because I'm really in a reading funk or they just weren't that good. Oh well, there will always be more.

Anyone read Kaje's long LHNB story?"

Sherlock is difficult. There aren't many fics that write him well. I just read a really schmoopy Sherlock WIP full of manly tears.... No?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

LenaLena wrote: "I just read a really schmoopy Sherlock WIP full of manly tears.... No?"

Uh, no.

Plus ff wips are a no no. I never trust the writers to finish them.

I agree that not many people can write Sherlock. They tend to make him tedious and John sort of martyrish. Plus S's sexuality gives most of them fits.

message 36: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Yep. I keep trying though. Haven't given up hope yet.

message 37: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments I just realized that the timing of my 3 day camping trip means I will not be able to send my list of waiting books to my kindle until Wednesday evening. THREE EXTRA DAYS OF THIS!

I guess I'll be able to download a new Prime loan IF we happen to have cell reception, which is going to be a total crapshoot....

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Nobody in their right mind is going camping around here. Too fricking hot! Unless maybe out to the ocean or something.

message 39: by ttg (new)

ttg | 90 comments Mod
I think this means you win the challenge since you're going the longest--July 3! :D

message 40: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I'm going camping in 2 weeks in Florida. :/ I'm going to die of heat!!

message 41: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments How was I to know we were going to have a heat wave this weekend? Anyway, we're going to the Russian River, about 30 min from the coast. We can go cool off in the fog if needed.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh. Dump the kids. Go wine tasting. All those wine cellars are nice cool places. :D

message 43: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Oh man. Alcohol and heat don't mix for me. I plan on half submerging myself in the river and doing NOTHING.

I live less than 30 min from Napa. Yet I have only gone wine tasting once or twice in the 13 years I've been here. Never been to Alcatraz at all. I need more people to visit me so I go an do these things.

message 44: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Oh and Jenn. What the hell? Florida in the summer? Whose bright idea was that?

message 45: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Ooooo, I've been to Napa, Alcatraz, pier 39, seventeen mile drive, etc! I love it. I should visit you and Jess one day and go redo all those things with y'all and then some.

Can we trade locations for camping?? Ugh. It was NOT my idea. I wanted cabin options and my friends are all: no, we do tents!! They want to bring tents, Doritos, and whiskey. Oh dear.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Trade in your friends for people who do hotels. With air conditioning.

Doritos and whiskey just doesn't sound like a great combination, either. :/

message 47: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments Well I have done 3 out of 4 of those, Jenn. Just not Alcatraz.

Come visit anytime!

message 48: by Jess (last edited Jun 28, 2013 09:04PM) (new)

Jess Candela (jesscandela) | 9 comments Mod
LOL, y'all should see the status update I posted right before catching up on this thread! Lena, I waved to you as we passed through Benicia this morning. I'd really thought I was going to camp in Nevada tonight, was even looking forward to it, but I wimped out and got an air conditioned motel room instead.

I love camping by the Russian River, but haven't done it in years. Have a wonderful time! Jenn, you do need to come to California one of these days. A much better plan than camping in Florida in July! ;)

Oh, and I've still never been to Alcatraz either, but have been to all the others.

message 49: by LenaLena (new)

LenaLena (marilenalena) | 46 comments It is going to be 103F at the Russian River and 99F at the beach.... and I'll be on my period. I am going to DDDIIIIEEEEE!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

You need one of those float tubes fly fisherman use, they let you keep your legs in the water and they are really stable. Put the kindle in a watertight plastic sleeve. Sit in the river. Use lots of sunscreen and wear a hat. Float downriver all day. Let the guys pick you up when it's dinner time.

« previous 1