Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's May 2013 Reads

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Another 12 books this month. Some really good ones, a couple....not so much!

Inapproriate Thoughts by Ian Dalton Inapproriate Thoughts by Ian Dalton: a Kindle freebie and totally mindless. Mom in a bad place and VERY sexually frustrated gets a visit from college age son and son's very hot roommate. Hot sex ensues. Gotta say there was one bit in there with one of the other female characters and a couple of her companions that had me wondering just exactly how you would pull it off. Oh, well....always good to work in a little educational reading! LOl Grade: 5

The Good the Bad and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3) by Heather Blake The Good the Bad and the Witchy by Heather Blake: 3rd in Wishcraft series and I have yet to find anything by Ms. Blake/Webber that has disappointed me. This was no exception. Grade: 9

Bowled Over by Victoria Hamilton Bowled Over by Victoria Hamilton: 2nd in Vintage Kitchen series and nowhere near the first one. This one had me disliking the main character as no one is as sweet and wonderful as she came across. May not bother with another. Grade: 4

Captive Dreams by Angela Knight Captive Dreams by Angela Knight & Diane Whiteside: got this one from PBS. It popped up on my main page when I visited the site awhile back and sounded just weird enough to be interesting. It wasn't. Grade: 2.5

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris: 13th and final Sookie Stackhouse book, except for a small book that comes out this fall telling what happened to lots of fringe characters. I knew this wasn't ending the way I wanted, but it was still not a bad read. Don't understand all the hatefulness being directed at Ms. Harris about it. Grade: 7

That Old Flame of Mine by J.J. Cook That Old Flame of Mine by J.J. Cook: 1st in new Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade series and one of the most fun ones I've run across in awhile. Female Chicago fire fighter takes a temporary position in a small TN town as fire chief to get a volunteer group together & functional. She ends up finding out something about her own lineage she didn't know. Oh, and there's a ghost....and I think I have a literary crush on him! Grade: 9

The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau: 1st in YA dystopian trilogy. I love this woman's 2 cozy mystery series, so I was a bit intrigued when I found out about this new venture. I got an ARC, but still haven't figured out how since I can't recall entering anything anywhere to win one. But, no matter! I sat on it awhile because the premise sounded so much like THE HUNGER GAMES and it did start out a little like that. However, it quickly became it's own story with some good characters and a great "leaving off" point. Looking forward to part 2 in January. (Sherry, your school kids might like this one. It's getting some good buzz and I've seen it on several summer reading lists.) Grade: 9

Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #42) by Ace Atkins Robert B. Parker's Wonderland by Ace Atkins: 2nd Spenser book that Atkins has written and while a good read, not as good as his first time out. I really missed Hawk in this one. A Spenser book without even a hint of Hawk is like a day without sunshine. Grade: 6.5

The Christie Curse by Victoria Abbott The Christie Curse by Victoria Abbott: 1st in new Book Collector series and I just really didn't care much for it. I think part of it was the whole Dame Agatha thing. I never liked her books, and the association was probably enough to prejudice me against this one. Found myself skimming large parts of it. Grade: 4.5

Dead Suite (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #4) by Wendy Roberts Dead Suite by Wendy Roberts: 4th in Ghost Dusters series and only available as an e-book. I really liked the first 3 books in this series, especially the 1st one. It takes me so much longer to read e-books and that detracted a lot from my enjoyment of this one. I started reading it a couple of months ago and only just finished it over the long weekend. Good enough, but I'm not inclined to spend $5.00 on the next one. That's more than I really care to spend on e-books, even for series that I formerly liked. Grade: 6

Malled to Death by Laura DiSilverio Malled to Death by Laura DiSilverio: 3rd in Mall Cop series and a really good read. I didn't care much for the 1st in this series, but am glad I gave the 2nd one a shot, and this one was even better. A movie is shooting at EJ's mall and the body of a member of the crew turns up in a restroom. Grade: 8.5

Fall of Night (The Morganville Vampires, #14) by Rachel Caine Fall of Night by Rachel Caine: 14th in one of my very favorite series, The Morganville Vampires. I was a bit disappointed with the last one, but this one was back on track with a vengeance. Action from the get-go. Lots of potential for #15, which comes out late this fall! Grade: 9.5

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2648 comments Quite a range of ratings. I guess that's what happens when you experiment.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7914 comments Melodie, your review of Inappropriate Thoughts made me LOL. So glad you are furthering your education. Bet DH is too. :-)

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1273 comments Is it terrible that I'm thinking of downloading Inappropriate Thoughts so see what you're talking about. LOL!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments LOL, Dawn! It is free after all (how do I know it still is free..... ;))
Dawn wrote: "Is it terrible that I'm thinking of downloading Inappropriate Thoughts so see what you're talking about. LOL!"

message 6: by Ann (last edited Jun 01, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Melodie: Good month! Re Dead Ever After -- Since I am behind in the series I haven't been reading about this last one yet, but find it hard to understand why readers would be hateful to Charlaine Harris - she has provided some excellent series books, and hopefully many more to come.
I suppose books that raise passionate fans could also incite them to turn on an author who doesn't move in the direction they want; love and hate can be closely intertwined in those cases too.
Melodie wrote: "Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris: 13th and final Sookie Stackhouse book, ..... it was still not a bad read. Don't understand all the hatefulness being directed at Ms. Harris about it. "

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1273 comments Since you went through all the trouble to check that it was still free, I just had to download it ;)

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments Great month Melodie! I'm reading Drop Dead Beauty by Wendy Roberts and it's not much better than Dead Suite. I'll let you know if it gets any better :)

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14418 comments Dawn: of course!
Dawn wrote: "Since you went through all the trouble to check that it was still free, I just had to download it ;)"