Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Molly Murphy (Murphy's Law) - Rhys Bowen

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2406 comments Mod
June

Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries #1) by Rhys Bowen

Here's where to discuss Murphy's Law and the Molly Murphy series.

Other books in the series:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/44729...

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments Picked this one up and finished in an afternoon. I have to be honest and say I wasn't really looking forward to reading this one. I tend to prefer the lighter hearted contemporary cozies. I was wrong.

(view spoiler)

I thought several times I had it all figured out and was wrong each time and that's always a bonus.

I am definitely adding this series to my TBR list. Thanks!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments I've had this on my TBR list for some time, and am glad I finally read it. I loved the historical information about arriving in NYC and coping with a new country and no one else to rely on. I thought the mystery was a good one, and I followed Molly closely through her investigations, exploring New York and the layers of society. I had some misgivings about the ending, but I'll come back and talk about that later, after others have commented (I don't know how to use the spoiler warning yet).

message 4: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1408 comments Glad you enjoyed it. The author's depictions of NYC and the predicaments of the poor are accurate. She goes into detail later in the series in describing the filth and hopelessness of the slums and its inhabitants.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments I'll add to my comments briefly. I visited the Tenement Museum on the lower east side, as I recall, so I have a fairly vivid image of what Nuala's apartment was like. I'm looking forward to the next books in the series, and especially the historical information.

message 6: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1408 comments I always wanted to visit that Museum. What did you think about it? Is it worth seeing? I might go this summer.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments The curator was a friend, so she took me all through the building when it was closed. The entry hall is dark, the stairs steep, and one toilet per floor (if that). The inner rooms had light from the central shaft/so an interior window looked into other rooms. The building housed dressmakers and other crafts people, who used one room for business and the inner room for everything else, including cooking on stoves. I was interested in seeing the kinds of material wealth a lot of tenants had. If they worked as a servant, or had some connection to people with wealth, they often got discarded things. As a result, the families sometimes had gorgeous soup tureens with a chip, a set of glasses, also chipped, stained linen, and the like.

I was very glad I went, and I think the tour guides must be very good because my friend had lots of stories to tell. I expect that a lot of visitors relate to it because this is, after all, 19th/early 20th century NYC, and lots of us have relatives who came through Ellis Island.

message 8: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1408 comments Thanks for the details. I've heard many good things about it. I'll try to go this summer.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb | 681 comments Susan wrote: "(I don't know how to use the spoiler warning yet)."

Type <*spoiler> at the beginning of your spoiler, then <*/spoiler> at the end of it -- but remove the *s. To be sure it worked properly, click on the (preview) link under the comment box before you click Post. You should see (view spoiler) instead of your spoiler text :)

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (withererose) At first I just couldn't get into the book but then it finally got interesting for me and I finished it really quick. After reading the preview for the next novel I definitely will read more of this series eventually :D

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (carstairs38) | 692 comments I actually found Rhys' books about the time this series started, so I've been reading it since this book came out. I really enjoy them and feel like we are sent back to early Twentieth Century New York. They do have their own pace at times, but they are worth it.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleksiw | 53 comments I wonder how other readers feel about Molly's developing relationships with other men.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 33 comments THis book had me with the first sentence. The flow of the book was smooth and I could not put it down. The author's description of New York in that era made me feel as if I was there. I would recommend this book and intend to read the rest of the series. 5 stars.

message 14: by ☯Emily (last edited Jun 19, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1408 comments Susan wrote: "I wonder how other readers feel about Molly's developing relationships with other men.

I know it's part of the formula for crime fiction for a female sleuth to develop a romantic relationship as..."

(view spoiler)

Incidentally, I like a little romance myself and I think other readers do too.

message 15: by Nell (last edited Jun 21, 2013 01:46PM) (new)

Nell | 2595 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "I wonder how other readers feel about Molly's developing relationships with other men...."

I have mixed feelings about Molly's relationship with Sullivan as the series develops (view spoiler)
As to the interaction between them, I do have to remind myself that this is a historical novel. Molly seems very progressive for her time while Dan Sullivan does not. Though I tend to view this from a modern perspective, I try to remember that it is set at the turn of the 20th century.

I'm getting a late start on the featured read. I've just begun the next in the series for me, The Last Illusion
The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9) by Rhys Bowen