The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.11 - Vi/Midu's task: Explore Listopias

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 02, 2013 03:02PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
25.11 -- Vi/Midu 's task: Explore Listopias
Towards the end of the Spring Challenge, I *almost* went into the dreaded book slump. I was not into any book I read and I still had to complete the challenge. I used to while away time on GR trying to find something that caught my eye and yet not be a re-read. That was when I stumbled across a little-used aspect of Listopias.

Note: Re-reads are not allowed for this task. Books must meet all the other SRC guidelines.

Select a recently-read or a favorite book. This will be your starting book.

Go to your starting book's main GR page. Between your friends' reviews and community reviews, there will be a section titled "Lists With This Book". Click on the "Lists With This Book" and it will expand and show more lists. If your starting book has not been added to any lists, you will need to choose a different starting book. However, there is sometimes a difference in book editions. If the edition of the book you have does not have a section titled "Lists With This Book" but there are other edition that do, you may pick from those lists even if the edition you read does not show the lists.

Read any TWO books from TWO different lists shown.

For example, if you start out with the book Elantris, choose two lists from Elantris Lists and read a book from each one.

Note: As per SRC general rules, you must not have voted/added the book that you read into the list.

Required: Please post a link to your starting book and links to the two lists you used when you post. If the book edition you read does not show the lists you picked from, provide a link to the edition that shows the lists as well as a link to the edition that you read.

message 2: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Placeholder 1

message 3: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Placeholder 2

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Jun 01, 2013 02:53PM) (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments In looking for books for this task, I found that the "Lists with this Book" section is edition-dependent - Listopias will only show on the book page when that exact edition has been added to a list. Are we required to work off of the specific edition of the starting book we read, or can we use any edition?

Here's an example: The edition I read of The Mysterious Affair At Styles shows no Listopias, but the most popular edition (The Mysterious Affair At Styles) does.

message 6: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I've chosen Hyde - Lauren Stewart, so I was wondering if I can read Twilight - Stephenie Meyer and Bloodlines - Richelle Mead?

message 7: by Vi (last edited Jun 01, 2013 07:37PM) (new)

Vi | 185 comments Fiona, as long as you can find two different lists that have them. I saw Twilight in a couple of lists in the first page. I didn't check hard for Bloodlines though. You have to post the link to the two different lists when you post in the Completed Task thread.

ETA: I found Bloodlines HERE. You can use both books for this task.

message 8: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Jessica, thanks for bringing that to our attention. I always use the first edition that turns up that I didn't notice. If the edition that you use shows no listopias, then you can use the Most Popular Edition.

message 9: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I've never noticed the lists feature. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I am sure I will use that long after the summer challenge is over. My book was on 5 lists!

message 10: by Jenifer (last edited Jun 05, 2013 05:51PM) (new)

Jenifer (jensamaha) | 365 comments I just want to say that I LOVE this task! Although, I am having so much fun looking at lists that I don't think I'll ever actually sit down and read a book. ;)

In fact, I love it so much, I've adjusted it to use as a "design your task" for a different challenge. (I hope you don't mind).

message 11: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Sheila - I've never really "used" this feature before last month. I knew it was there but I've never bothered. It was very useful for me. I have a few more books on my TBR now.

Jennifer - Nope, go ahead :) Have fun finding weird lists people create ;)

message 12: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Vi or Midu, is this how the link is meant to look like when I post?

I read Hyde - Lauren Stewart

I've read Twilight - Stephenie Meyer and New Moon - Stephenie Meyer http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1104.Character_You_Most_Want_to_Sleep_With?page=11#15734163 for Twilight @ number 4 and New Moon @ 100.

message 13: by Midu (last edited Jun 09, 2013 10:32AM) (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Fiona, the link to the listopia lists doesn't work for me.

message 14: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Midu, how do I link my 2 books I'm reading that are in the same Listopia to Hyde - Lauren Stewart?

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments Sheila wrote: "I've never noticed the lists feature. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I am sure I will use that long after the summer challenge is over. My book was on 5 lists!"

only 5! lol - mine was on like 60 ;) too many choices!!

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Midu, how do I link my 2 books I'm reading that are in the same Listopia to Hyde - Lauren Stewart?"

i think they have to be on 2 separate lists Fiona

message 18: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Oh that is easy lol Dee, I will find the 2 lists x

message 19: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Dee, do I post where Hyde was in the list as well as where the books I read are?

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments read the instructions...it doesn't say that - but I am planning on doing it to make it easier for the mods

message 21: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) That's what I think I'll do as it makes it easier as you say x

message 22: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Sorry for disappearing on ya,Fiona. Dee's right. Thanks for helping, Dee :-)

message 23: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments Starting book: The Host by Stephenie Meyer - http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83...

List 1 - If you liked Jace Wayland..: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/79... Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

List 2 - Potential Boyfriends (If they weren't, you know fictional): http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/15... The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

message 24: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments I have read several books for other tasks that I really enjoyed. Would it be ok to use on of them as my "starter" book?