The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.16 - Lois's task: Summer Shakespeare

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 02, 2013 08:26PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
25.16 -- Lois's task: Summer Shakespeare
Outdoor Shakespeare performances are a summer tradition throughout the English-speaking world and beyond. My actress daughter will be performing Merchant of Venice with the Portland Actors Ensemble outdoors in downtown Portland in June, and we also plan to see King Lear at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland in July.

To celebrate summer Shakespeare, read two books from the options below. Both books can be from the same option or each can be from a different option. Please be sure your book meets SRC basic requirements for a task at this level.

Optional non-reading activity: If you have the opportunity where you live, attend a theater performance, Shakespeare or other, indoors or outdoors. Go early with a picnic (and your book) and have a fun afternoon or evening!

Option 1: Read a play written by Shakespeare.
For suggestions:
Best of William Shakespeare
(careful, not all of these are plays)

Option 2: Read a book about William Shakespeare.
For suggestions: Best Books About Shakespeare

Option 3: Read an adaptation: such as a novel using one of Shakespeare’s works or his life as a basis for the story. The Goodreads page for the book should clearly indicate that it is a book based on a Shakespeare story or character, or something about his life.
For suggestions: Rewriting Shakespeare, Shakespeare Retellings, Willsphernalia

Option 4: Some of the characters in Shakespeare's plays have names that are still commonly found today. Others are rarely, if ever, used nowadays. Using this list: Shakespearian Names, read a book written by an author whose name (first, middle, or last) is Shakespearian OR a book in which a character has a Shakespearian name. The chosen name must appear on the Goodreads page for the book. In the case of a two-part name, such as Mark Antony (or Aemilius Lepidus), one of the names may be used. The spelling of all names should match exactly the name on the list. Required: State which name you are using when you post.

Required: State which options you used and any other required information when you post. If the GRs description does not make it clear, explain how your book fits the task.

message 2: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Reserved

message 3: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Reserved

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, so for this task, if I pick option 1:
I can read - macbeth and King Lear ?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this task! I think it's fantastic!!

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3400 comments I'm hoping, My Name is Will will work for option 3
and
for Option 4The Tooth Tattoo by since both the author and main protagonist are named Peter which is on the list of Shakespearean namesPeter Lovesey

message 8: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 824 comments Will this work for option 3? Zombie Island (Shakespeare Undead, #2) by Lori Handeland

message 9: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Will these two work?

For Option 3 I plan to use Macbeth

And for Option for I like to use Fade to Black by Francis Knight

Francis is one of the names on the Shakespear list, but in the play it's a male charater, while this author is female. Is this a problem?

message 10: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Can I read A Place of Safety - Helen Black and London - Sebastian Rook (HELEN & SEBASTIAN for Option 4)

message 11: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 795 comments I LOVE this task! I was just wishing this week that someone would post a task related to Shakespeare! Browsing some of these lists, I found 3 books that look interesting: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead for Opt 4, Interred with Their Bones for Opt 3 and Shakespeare: The World as Stage for Opt 2. Or I can always just fall back on a play since I have all of them. :)

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15684 comments Mod
KSMary wrote: "I LOVE this task! I was just wishing this week that someone would post a task related to Shakespeare! Browsing some of these lists, I found 3 books that look interesting: Rosencrantz and Guilden..."

I was thinking of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as well, perhaps with Hamlet for my other book - since I haven't read it since college, it will be interesting to re-visit it all these years later.

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments For Option 4, the names task, can we use part of the name? For example, can we use Mark instead of Mark Antony or Anne instead of Anne Page? Thank you.

message 14: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments For option 4, may we use the female version of a male name? such as Alexandra instead of Alexander?

message 15: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Delmy =^.^= wrote: "Ok, so for this task, if I pick option 1:
I can read - macbeth and King Lear ?"

Yes, choosing two books from one of the options is fine. Reading two plays is a good choice!

message 16: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Andy wrote: "I'm hoping, My Name is Will will work for option 3
and
for Option 4The Tooth Tattoo by since both the author and main protagonist are named Peter which is on the list of Shakespearean namesPeter Lo..."

Those are good choices!

message 17: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Valorie wrote: "Will this work for option 3? Zombie Island (Shakespeare Undead, #2) by Lori Handeland"

That will work!

message 18: by Lois (last edited Jun 02, 2013 07:55PM) (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Fandury wrote: "Will these two work?

For Option 3 I plan to use Macbeth

And for Option for I like to use Fade to Black by Francis Knight

Francis is one of the names on the Shakespear list, but in the play it's ..."

Francis for a female is not a problem.

message 19: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can I read A Place of Safety - Helen Black and London - Sebastian Rook (HELEN & SEBASTIAN for Option 4)"

Those work!

message 20: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Deanna wrote: "For Option 4, the names task, can we use part of the name? For example, can we use Mark instead of Mark Antony or Anne instead of Anne Page? Thank you."

Yes, one part of a two-part name is fine. I've asked for an edit to include that. It's a good question!

message 21: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Bekka wrote: "For option 4, may we use the female version of a male name? such as Alexandra instead of Alexander?"

Bekka, that's a good question and thanks for raising it. I've asked for an edit on Option 4 that would clarify. I'd like the spelling to be exact, to make things as simple as possible, so I'm saying no to adaptations of names. I hope you can find another one that works for you.

message 22: by Bekka (new)

Bekka (froydis) | 524 comments Thats fine, Lois! I just wanted to clarify. Thanks so much!

Lois wrote: "Bekka wrote: "For option 4, may we use the female version of a male name? such as Alexandra instead of Alexander?"

Bekka, that's a good question and thanks for raising it. I've asked for an edit ..."

message 23: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3400 comments Lois wrote: "Andy wrote: "I'm hoping, My Name is Will will work for option 3
and
for Option 4The Tooth Tattoo by since both the author and main protagonist are named Peter which is on the list of Shakespearean ..."

Thanks, glad to get a chace to read My Name is Wlll

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments if anyone is interested - The Tempest is currently available for free download as part of a Summer Audiobook program - each week they pair a classic with a current release - this week (it ends on Thursday) was The Tempest and Of Poseidon (Anna Banks)

http://www.audiobooksync.com/free-syn...

if you are in the US, you should be able to download both of them; outside of the US can normally get the classic, but the new release is often restricted

message 25: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Does Wyrd Sisters work for Option 3?

Most of the reviews mention the Macbeth connection but the GR blurb is more an allusion ("But even she found that meddling in royal politics was a lot more difficult than certain playwrights would have you believe...") than an outright statement so I wanted to check.

Thanks!

message 26: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments KarenF wrote: "Does Wyrd Sisters work for Option 3?

Most of the reviews mention the Macbeth connection but the GR blurb is more an allusion ("But even she found that meddling in royal politics was a lot more d..."

Yes, Wyrd Sisters will work. The reviews on the GR page clearly indicate that it is based on the Macbeth story. To make it easier for the moderator, please quote a review from the GR page for the book that states the connection when you post it.

message 27: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments I was thinking of this one for option 3, but thought I should double check. Will this work?

The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession

message 28: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "I was thinking of this one for option 3, but thought I should double check. Will this work?

The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession"

Yes, that one would be a great choice!

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I'm going to read Hamlet by William Shakespeare and Juliet Immortal by Stacey Jay.

message 30: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Lois, I'd like to use This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart for C. Adaptation.
The GR description doesn't mention it, but the book blurbs and the text of the book includes a lot of riff on The Tempest, including character names and each chapter heading includes quotes from the play. Is this enough to enable use?

message 31: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Hill (jordanhill) | 11 comments I don't know if this will work or not, but I'm just throwing it out there; is this okay for option 3? I thought it was a quirky idea, and I'm going to read it anyways...

William Shakespeare's Star Wars

message 32: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jordan wrote: "I don't know if this will work or not, but I'm just throwing it out there; is this okay for option 3? I thought it was a quirky idea, and I'm going to read it anyways...

William Shakespeare's Star..."

Jordan, i don't know how Lois will answer, but I loved the WSSW. I'm not an extreme SW fan, but I could easily "see" the action as I read.

message 33: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Lois, I'd like to use This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart for C. Adaptation.
The GR description doesn't mention it, but the book blurbs and the text of the book includes a lot of riff on The Tempest, ..."

Yes, that will work. The Tempest is mentioned on the GR description, and there are strong tie-ins in the book.

message 34: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Jordan wrote: "I don't know if this will work or not, but I'm just throwing it out there; is this okay for option 3? I thought it was a quirky idea, and I'm going to read it anyways...

William Shakespeare's Star..."

Yes, that works for Option 3.

message 35: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Lois wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Lois, I'd like to use This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart for C. Adaptation.
The GR description doesn't mention it, but the book blurbs and the text of the book includes a lot of riff..."

Thanks, Lois.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments Lois for #2 would Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama work - or does it need to be more of a bio?

message 37: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Dee wrote: "Lois for #2 would Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle, and Drama work - or does it need to be more of a bio?"

It fits Option #3, as it is a book based on the kings that appear in Shakespeare's plays. This is indicated on the GR page for the book, so there should be no problem with it, but you may want to mention that it is approved when you post.

message 38: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments The play Richard III was not on the list of names. I have a book whose author's first name is Richard. Would this book be acceptable?

message 39: by Lois (new)

Lois | 1870 comments Wanda wrote: "The play Richard III was not on the list of names. I have a book whose author's first name is Richard. Would this book be acceptable?"

Well, YES! I have no idea why his name does not appear on the list, but of course he definitely is a Shakespearian character, so it is approved.