Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > Any MG Sci-fi Novel!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Hiya,

Do you know about any recent MG Sci-fi publications. Suggest me some reads.

Many Thanks!

Mike

message 2: by Laurence (new)

Laurence John (laurencestjohn) | 25 comments Yes, Metatron: The Angel Has Risen.
Sincerely,
Laurence

message 3: by M.G. (last edited Jun 01, 2013 07:05AM) (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments There's also Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1) by Nathan Bransford .

Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow, by Nathan Bransford. It's funny and light, but has a satisfying storyline.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Oh Thanks for the replies. I will check them out and will buy them.

Thanks People!

message 5: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) I've also been looking for MG sci fi books. Thanks for all the recommendations! The Wonderbar books sound funny (from the excerpts I've read), but I'd like to see some that get away from the whole school thing. Some MG friends of mine tell me they are SICK of school and don't want to read about it in their books--especially over the summer. LOL!! Onward, through the forest! bobbi c.
PRINCESS PRIMROSE and the CURSE OF THE BIG SLEEP by Bobbi A. Chukran

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) My son (now aged 17) loved the Chaos trilogy, starting with Orphans of Chaos, but they might be more YA. He also highly recommends the short stories by Isaac Asimov - he says they're "timeless."

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Cheryl, thanks for the suggestions. Will check them out.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Hi Julie, thanks for the links. Will check them. Thank you!

message 9: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (bobbichukran) Definitely agree about Asimov. I even read them when I was a MG kid, and older. bobbi c.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie Grasso | 103 comments Michael wrote: "Hi Julie, thanks for the links. Will check them. Thank you!"

Cheers Michael and a heads up, my book 1 is free US time Zone 6-8 June so hope you get a chance to grab a copy.
Cheers Julie

message 11: by Michael (last edited Jun 03, 2013 08:51PM) (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Wow! Will read the book and write a review. I'll write a message to you to get some suggestions. Sooon! Thanks again!

message 12: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Michael wrote: "Hiya,

Many Thanks!

Mike"

Michael, I've been trying to come up with more suggestions for MG sci-fi, and I'm really surprised that there is so little sci-fi for middle grade! There seemed to be a lot of space themed picture books and easy readers. There are a decent number of YA. I wonder if we'll see a lot more sci-fi in the future.

An oldie but goodie is Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

Thanks for the other suggestions everyone!

message 13: by G. (new)

G. Guff (GranpaGuff) | 5 comments Howdy folks,

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but this little book by yours truly has been getting good reviews.

Granpa Guff, the accidental astronaut.

Would also agree with MG about Charlie and the glass elevator, War of the worlds by HG Wells, John Carter of Mars by E R Burroughs.

All good stuff,

enjoy,

G Guff

message 14: by Michael (last edited Jun 04, 2013 11:25AM) (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Hello G, thanks for the info. Blow your trumpet and I will blow mine! One week later! Sure!

message 15: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Looks like a fun read, G!

message 16: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (esivy) | 133 comments Michael wrote: "Hiya,

Many Thanks!

Mike"

For younger middle grade my kids really like the Zack Proton series:

The Adventures of Commander Zack Proton and the Red Giant

Artemis Fowl is fantasy, but it has lots of gadgets that should appeal to sci fi fans, I think. Artemis Fowl

And my son liked the IQ spy books, although he was disappointed that the last book in the series moved more into fantasy (he likes fantasy, he just didn't think it fit) Independence Hall

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Oh, and you could try The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer, too.

Also, though written for adults, lots of young people have enjoyed Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

message 18: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments My 6th grader was assigned Ender's Game in school this year and I couldn't get him to put it down -- so I had to read it to see why! It is a very captivating story, but I would recommend it for older tweens -- its more YA than MG.

This has been a great thread! But since we're discussing multiple books here, I moved it to the LIBRARY.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike20) | 7 comments Thanks Jeff and D,

Thanks for the recommendations. There are not much MG Sci-fi novels. True!

message 20: by Heidi (last edited Jun 12, 2013 08:15PM) (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 28 comments Mike Dunbar is in the process of publishing an eight book series, that started with The Hampton Summit by Mike Dunbar I understand that it advances to YA towards the end of the series, much like Harry Potter did, but my boys loved the first book! Plus, he will be resleasing them in three month increments, so not a huge waiting time! The next one comes out in July!!

I agree that the Ender series is more YA. I'm not ready for my boys to read those! Also my son is enjoying the Robotech series, the Star Wars series,and the Battle Tech series. I haven't read them (Which kind of makes me nervous!) but I can't get them out of his hands long enough to read them! He has read Robotech something like a dozen times since his teacher gave it to him for Christmas. Ah, I miss the days of reading and re-reading books!! A Wrinkle in Time (Time, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle is listed as a sci-fi/ fantasy, but it has a much more fantasy feel to it, in my humble opinion.

I used to have a bunch that I read at that age, but I've lost the covers, or they have fallen a part. There was this great one with a redheaded girl on the front cover, and stone henge in the background. She was a time traveler. Something about Sisters... And of course, I loved Jules Verne, CS Lewis' Perelandra series. Perelandra (Space Trilogy, #2) by C.S. Lewis Not sure that those would be considered midgrade though. I miss the days when sci-fi was sci-fi!

message 21: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Bilman (jeff_bilman) | 29 comments Great comments Heidi. For anyone that's interested, there's a 1 month free University course starting July 1 at https://www.open2study.com/ called Astronomy: Discovering the Universe.

I've enrolled since I always try to provide some educational content and they'll be teaching cool things like black holes and worm holes - sci fi staples - and it's good to actually know what you are talking about when you're writing!
Jeff

message 22: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Heidi wrote: "Mike Dunbar is in the process of publishing an eight book series, that started with The Hampton Summit by Mike Dunbar I understand that it advances to YA towards the end of the series, much l..."

I really enjoyed Lewis's Perelandra series several years ago, and tried to read it with my boys this year, but there's a little too much description and not enough action. Unlike Lewis's Narnia series, his space trilogy seems written for an adult audience. I might compare it to Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles -- great story and good writing, with an underlying subtext kids aren't likely to "get."

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 28 comments I think it just depends on the kids, though. My brother and I both read them when we were 11 and eight.
That is why I don't just rely on what others recommend for my kids, because I know what they can handle better than anyone. That is the problem we ran into with Rick Roirdan. I had pre-read everything up to the Mark of Athena... I figured we were good, since everything else had been kosher. Woops! Won't be making that mistake again!

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Bilman (jeff_bilman) | 29 comments Yeah, I keep an eye on what what 10 year old reads and will firstly read anything that I think might be too much (or I don't think appropriate) for his age. My sister-in-law bought him Holes by Louis Sachar but then had second thoughts about it after she read a little of it. I read it first (great book btw) and thought it was okay for him (though everyone's different, and so are their children).

Interesting to hear that a series would take a turn like that ie. kosher to not. I haven't read Rick's books (yet - though I've seen the first Percy Jackson) but you'd generally assume that a series would retain its flavour across all books (in fact, I take that for granted) unless there's an obvious movement through the series from middle grade to YA, YA to adult, etc.

message 25: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Heidi wrote: "I think it just depends on the kids, though. My brother and I both read them when we were 11 and eight.
That is why I don't just rely on what others recommend for my kids, because I know what they..."

I agree -- different things resonate with different kids, and I think mine will like the Perelandra series when they are just a little older.

message 26: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] (raevynstar) | 36 comments I think Herbert's Wormhole is a good reluctant-reader sci-fi book!

message 27: by G. (new)

G. Guff (GranpaGuff) | 5 comments Howdy Folks,

please forgive the rambling ruminations of an irritable insomniacs but would it be possible to set up a page for just this very genre on goodreads?

Sincerely,

Granpa

message 28: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Shaw (ipulpfiction) Hello Mike,

Take a look at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

It's more YA than MG.

Keith

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.