Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Nine Princes in Amber (The Chronicles of Amber #1)
This topic is about Nine Princes in Amber
The Chronicles of Amber > Nine Princes in Amber / Spoilers Ahead

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda ╰☆╮    (brnda) | 343 comments Mod
Welcome!

As you may know, I love this series (The Chronicles of Amber).
Corwin is one of my favorite characters in all books.
He...himself....seems to be "caught" in amber.
:)

Much of Nine Princes ( I do not forget there are princesses not in the running. It's okay with me ~ there needs to be a cutoff point somewhere.) Corwin is searching for his identity and introducing his somewhat large family.
As I look the story over, it's full of action, while doing this.

Escape from the hospital to find his sister to helping his brother who then, unknowingly, is helping him get to Amber etc...

I was trying to understand why this book attracted me in the late 70's and thinking of my favorite things of that time.
Mythology, swashbucklers, magic, tarot cards, art and Arthurian legends.
Not necessarily in that order.

message 2: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just something of interest.....
there are many allusions to Shakespeare within the whole series. (There are other historical figures and references, also)

I've seen a few site online that go into it quite deeply. I may post them in the future.

Hamlet seems to be a favorite of RZ.

Within the first chapter Corwin brings in a quote.

"In the state of Denmark there was the odor of decay...."

I'm curious if any noticed these references?

I must admit....I did not see them the first time I read the series, though I did find them familiar.

message 3: by Angelof (new)

Angelof First thing I thought while reading the first parts of this book was Bourne Identity. I mean he wakes up with memory loss and doesn't know who he is. He has certain special abilities and knowledge and doesn't know why he has them.

message 4: by Andreas (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andreas Yes, maybe this is the classic fantasy version of man-has-amnesia-and-regains-superpower.

@Brenda: I noticed not only Shaxpur (Shakespeare) references but also those to VanGogh: "A great billow of blood, like crimson smoke, arose and swirled within the greenish light. Crazily, I wished Van Gogh were there to see it. [...] and I suddenly realized that I had known mad, sad, bad Vincent Van Gogh, and it was really too bad that he couldn't have painted this."

Other authors are referenced as well, like Stephen Spender or Bertold Brecht.
This all supports his description of "... I like libraries. It makes me feel comfortable and secure to have walls of words, beautiful and wise, all around me. I always feel better when I can see that there is something to hold back the shadows."

You don't really see a lot of those detailed historical and literature references in sci fi or fantasy. I think they are awesome.

message 5: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andreas...
Yes!
One of my favorite quotes in the book.
Vincent van Gogh...one of my favorite painters.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (dward526) Angelof wrote: "First thing I thought while reading the first parts of this book was Bourne Identity. I mean he wakes up with memory loss and doesn't know who he is. He has certain special abilities and knowledge ..."

Agreed.

Andreas Finished :)
I gave it a solid 4 stars. I really liked the 70s style with all those chain smokers and psychedelic descriptions that you won't find in nowadays books.

I also appreciate the book's brevity - I think, Sanderson would have lengthened this one to approx. 2000 pages :) That's one of the sad sides of computer age - that books absolutely have to be THICK.

Worldbuilding and descriptions are great, whereas dialogues and storyline logic are sometimes plain stupid (eg, why didn't someone follow Corwin through the cell's painting?).

I really look forward to July's second installment of this series!

message 8: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't think they realized anyone would or could draw a trump on a wall. Plus they did not know, at that time, that Corwin regained his sight.

Andreas But that very important prisoner fled. And sometimes, after a couple of days or maybe weeks, they should have noticed that Corwin is gone. I imagine that they investigated the cell thoroughly and they will have found the two trumps on the wall. One being a very well known landmark. Or did those vanish? If not, I'd have followed this obvious hint and sent at least a couple of soldiers, there.

message 10: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hmmm........Yeah. Ooops, I believe this is covered in another of the books.

Rakib_khan | 6 comments .....I finished it, in a while i gave 5 stars to a book, can't wait for the next one.....
.....this was just great starting with pulpy PI tinge at first, then delving into fantasy, then to relentless action of the march to amber with a twist of philosophy on Corwin's part of the futility of existence of humans, then to despair, and finally a powerful ending which will surely make most readers come back for the next installment, it surely is making me.....
.....I was thinking of reading it for a long time and am happy I finally did.....I find Roger Zelazny to be an awesome writer and would love to read more form him.....
.....can you guys recommend other good works by him?.....

message 12: by Gene (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gene Rakib_khan wrote: ".....I finished it, in a while i gave 5 stars to a book, can't wait for the next one.....
.....this was just great starting with pulpy PI tinge at first, then delving into fantasy, then to relentle..."

Other than the rest of Amber chronicles, read anything written by him, but I would recommend you start with Lord of Light and Doorways in the Sand. Actually, even his minor efforts are great.

message 13: by Labrat (new)

Labrat | 2 comments "A Night in the Lonesome October" is a fantastic book by him. I highly recommend it.

message 14: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

“I was willing to die fighting, but it was senseless for all these men to go down with me. Perhaps my blood was tainted, despite my power over the Pattern. A true prince of Amber should have had no such qualms. I decided then that my centuries on the Shadow Earth had changed me, softened me perhaps, had done something to me which made me unlike my brothers.”

message 15: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rakib_khan wrote: ".....I finished it, in a while i gave 5 stars to a book, can't wait for the next one.....
.....this was just great starting with pulpy PI tinge at first, then delving into fantasy, then to relentle..."

I have enjoyed the Amber books so much that I have read little else by him.
However...I agree with the other recommendations as many others have told me of them.

My introduction to Roger Zelazny...was with Changeling and Madwand and (though it's been years) I enjoyed them.

Suzanne | 212 comments I loved "A Night in Lonesome October", although I probably missed many of the references. That was the only Zelazny I'd read prior to this one. I enjoyed this book - it was short, and the world seemed quite unique. I especially liked the shifting through shadow worlds by just changing a bit at a time.

message 17: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill Starting late on this series read but enjoyed the first installment and will be moving on to the second. I like the idea of the brothers Corwin and Bleys working together for the same individual goal. Great start to the series looking forward to learning more about the family.

message 18: by Brenda ╰☆╮ , In Memoriam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi Bill!
Feel free to comment on any of the books. The more the merrier.