UK Book Club discussion

Genre Challenge 2013-15 > June 2013 - Fantasy/folklore

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Liz, Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

Liz | 3425 comments Mod
So, Fantasy/folklore for June.
Well, I've got A Game of Thrones on my Kindle. I may be some time...

(It's those... again - I just can't resist!)

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 2: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (pepecan) | 5528 comments Mod
I shall be joining you Liz but may also have a go at Life After Life by Kate Atkinson by Kate Atkinson.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments This is a genre I'm not familiar with, so this is going to be a real challenge for me. I guess I will be listening toCharlie and the Chocolate Factory and I'm going to give The Map of Time a go.

message 4: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 112 comments I've just borrowed the latest Sookie - so my first read is Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris .

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 18 comments Ill be coming to court; Game of Thrones is already on my kindle as well!

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Not so sure about this category,I used to read it many moons ago and remember loving the Thomas Covenant chronicles (I'm still cross I sold full set at a school table top, one of many books I've given away and then thought why did I do that)and I've got my next two books stacked up but I am going to read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury which I have ready and think will fit! I do fancy trying though some Neil Gaiman as I've not read any and i've enjoyed his Dr Who episodes I looked at American Godsin the library but it looked good but long anyone read any, any recommends?

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan I absolutly loved American Gods.....definatly became an all time favourite, and a five star read, I liked The Graveyard Book by him too, and rated that four stars....can certainly recommend both.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Cattigan (thebookloverssanctuary) | 19 comments Interesting genre: fantasy and folklore. There the generic high fantasies of Lord of The Rings, Game of Thrones etc. as well as the rash of paranormal romances, Potters and Twilights.

Would magic realist novels count such as Girl With The Glass Feet or Midnight's Children or God of Small Things? Or steampunk or weird fiction: China Miéville springs to mind.

And folklore... Hmmmm... Angela Carter's Bloody Chamber is steeped in fairytale lore (and I'm reading that anyway - coincidentally!) Again, the wonderful A Monster Calls is hugely folkloric ("I am Cernunnos, I am Herne the Hunter, I am the eternal green man..."). But that just English folklore: Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and Ben Okri are steeped in Nigerian folklore.....

Much to explore this month!

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Susan wrote: "I absolutly loved American Gods.....definatly became an all time favourite, and a five star read, I liked The Graveyard Book by him too, and rated that four stars....can certainly recommend both."
Thanks Susan I think I'll give it a go.

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Would The Hyddenworld series by William Horwood count? I think it's fantasy genre.

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Going to try to get through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Oh my, loads to choose from, by may start with Faerie Wars

message 13: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1328 comments Mod
My Fantasy shelf is stuffed full of Terry Pratchett's so I'm planning to try something different this time.
Thought I might try The Eyre Affair I've had mixed success with Jasper Fforde - I didn't get on with The Big Over Easy but have really enjoyed the Last Dragonslayer series.

message 14: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Knife of Dreams, it's long so might not fit in another.

message 15: by Kiwi Sarah (new)

Kiwi Sarah (mjs13) | 169 comments I'm going to read Gameboard of the Gods which actually isn't released until 6 June. First in a new series so I'll see how I go with it.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Yesterday I finished The Painted Man. Other fantasy books I have planned for the month are Lost Souls which I'm currently reading and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. This is my first challenge with this group.

message 17: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Re queries on whether books fit. It's up to you, as
many books cross genres. However, the point of the challenge is to stretch your reading horizons, so be honest with yourself and don't classify something as fantasy/folklore if it's something you normally read from another genre which you are more comfy with. I find looking at the genre classification by GR readers a useful pointer - below the synopsis on the right hand side of each GR book.

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments Ian wrote: "Re queries on whether books fit. It's up to you, as
many books cross genres. However, the point of the challenge is to stretch your reading horizons, so be honest with yourself and don't classify ..."

I also look at the genre classification by GR readers and I have used the internet as well. I suppose the only book I ever read so far that can be classified as fantasy is Watership Down. And I have read many legends, fairy tales and myths from all sort of different countries. I have a book on English fairy tales I can read, but I suppose I going to keep this when we get to short stories.

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments I'm also going to keep my eye on the books that people are going to post here. It's always nice seeing what other people are reading and choosing for a particular genre.

But I sort of have the feeling there seem to be quite some subgenres in fantasy

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz Hunt starting with game of throne 2: a clash of kings and take it from there

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:35AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) Fantasy is my favorite genre, and I read quite a few from this area. I tend to read a lot of magical fantasy mostly supernatural with vampires, shape-shifters, magic, angels etc. I quite like the dragon books and going to look for Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2) by Robin Hobb

But I'm also inclined to try something different within this genre, and might delve into the folklore/fantasy as I'm quite keen to read a twist of a modern fairy tale such as A Kiss at Midnight or Snow White Sorrow. And currently am watching Once Upon A Time and would love to read the book and compare. Reawakened (Once Upon a Time, #1) by Odette Beane

message 22: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 985 comments I'm looking forward to this one as fantasy covers most of my to read pile. I think I'll go with Taliesin as thats been sat on my shelf for years.

@sarah I think the Once Upon a Time book is based on the show rather than the other way around. For a better comparison try Fables (which ABC in no way ripped off when creating OUAT)

message 23: by Kiwi Sarah (new)

Kiwi Sarah (mjs13) | 169 comments Ian wrote: "I shall be joining you Liz but may also have a go at Life After Life by Kate Atkinson by Kate Atkinson."

Just had a look at the blurb for this - sounds fascinating and it's now on my ever growing to-read list. Interested in what you think of it once you've read it.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 389 comments Ian wrote: "I shall be joining you Liz but may also have a go at Life After Life by Kate Atkinson by Kate Atkinson."

I'd be interested in what you think of "Life after Life" Ian, if you do get to it.

message 25: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments Chris wrote: "Ian wrote: "I shall be joining you Liz but may also have a go at Life After Life by Kate Atkinson by Kate Atkinson."

I'd be interested in what you think of "Life after Life" Ian, if you do get..."

I read it last week and really enjoyed it, I would highly recommend.

message 26: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'm all up in the air about what to select for fantasy, I've got quite a few options on the bookshelves and on the Kindle...

American Gods by Neil Gaiman is a possible, but quite a long one and I've got to read my in person book group book by the 19th and still have a pretty large chunk of I, Claudius to get through. My Mother in Law lent me Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke an absolute age ago and I'm sure she'd like to see it again some day, that's another possible and that's before I venture in to Charlaine Harris and J.R. Ward territory...

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Some great choices ...hoping to get through the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell after the Harry Potter year 4. One can but hope - I will be well chuffed if I can manage to complete them

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mandy wrote: "Some great choices ...hoping to get through the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell after the Harry Potter year 4. One can but hope - I will be well chuffed if I can manage t..."

Wow some big books to get through this month for you then! I really struggled with Jonathan Strange - I liked the book but didn't enjoy reading as it really dragged - it is not a quick read. I ended up stopping half way through. I hope you have more like that I did!

message 29: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Sarah, I was told that the little notes at the bottom of pages become annoying after a while?

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Cattigan (thebookloverssanctuary) | 19 comments I liked the footnotes - they really seemed effective in creating an interconnected history and society of English Magic as well as creating that faux authenticity.

Currently listening to it on audiobook though and a pause after each footnote to indicate that we're returning to the text would be useful!

message 31: by Ian, Moderator (new)

11% into A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin and sort of enjoying. Think having watched the tv series is helping me digest something outside my usual reading areas. Doubt I'll read the sequels. One thing that is disturbing me is the sex scenes with 12 and 13 year olds. Don't understand why George R.R. Martin could't have done this with older teens in his fantasy world.

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:33AM) (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) @Dave: Ah yeh, it is. May still read it as I do enjoy the series, and Fables looks interesting too, thanks for letting me know =]

@Ian: I tried to watch Game of Thrones, and the sex scenes really did put me off, and unsure whether to read the book. Let me know if you enjoy it

message 33: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 371 comments Started The Map of Time but as the story already began to drag on from the very beginning, I putted it aside. Took Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell out of the library together with a graphic novel edition of The Hobbit

message 34: by Susan (new)

Susan Danielle....I thought The Map of Time was very disappointing....absolutly loved Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell though....

message 35: by A.L. (last edited Jun 03, 2013 12:20PM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 265 comments I just started Under-Gods but not sure. Also have Web of the Spider Queen
Welsh Fairy Tales to consider.

message 36: by Kate, Moderator (new)

Kate | 1328 comments Mod
Susan - I totally agree with you. The Map of Time wasn't as good as it promised and Strange & Norrell, although long was a good read.
I'm currently watching the first series of Game of Thrones and been toying with the idea of reading the first one. Be interested to hear how you get on as you progress Ian...
I'm also a big fan of Once Upon a Time and have read the vast majority of Fables.
I'm loving this month's challenge!!!

message 37: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 37 comments I have started The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and will follow with The Moon of Gomrath. These, not read since my early teens, will be in preparation for the recently published final part of the story Boneland. They are all very short so I will be looking for something else before long....

message 38: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Trojanhorse wrote: "Susan - I totally agree with you. The Map of Time wasn't as good as it promised and Strange & Norrell, although long was a good read.
I'm currently watching the first series of Game of Thrones and ..."

Still enjoying GoT Kate....the TV series replicates the book pretty much, but you get slightly more depth to the characters, particularly so far at 25% in, Caitlin Stark, Jon Snow and Tyrell Lannister...the dwarf character...keep getting mixed up between Tyrell and Tywin.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Mandy wrote: "Sarah, I was told that the little notes at the bottom of pages become annoying after a while?"

I was reading it on kindle so you have to jump to another page to read the footnotes and I couldn't be bothered so I probably missed stuff.

message 40: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 112 comments Today I had 7 hours travelling for work so I finished the last Sookie book Dead and Gone which was a bit nondescript and a kids book Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children which I really enjoyed, I've now gone back to Armageddon's Children which I picked up from a list of dystopian books but as there's magic and demons it fits this genre.

message 41: by Ian, Moderator (new)

7 hours.....ouch.

message 42: by Helen (new)

Helen | 4238 comments Thought I was unlucky having two 2-hour trips yesterday. I went to York, had lunch in Betty' s and spent lots of money on new clothes. Listened to my audio- book The Curse of Chalion

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2714 comments I'm starting my Fantasy selection today, Puck of Pooks Hill by Rudyard Kipling.

message 44: by Jayne (new)

Jayne | 112 comments I enjoyed Armageddon's Children which I finished this evening. I now need to find the rest of the series.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) I just finished City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare and will be looking for either Dragon Haven or Reawakened in the library

message 46: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Jun 06, 2013 01:11AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) | 3622 comments I just downloaded Songs of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper to listen to in the next few days while I do the last of my packing.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I've just finished Lost Souls which is the fourth book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series. I have the finale waiting on my shelf although I'm not sure I'll get it read this month to count in this challenge. Having a break from fantasy for this coming week as I'm taking part in a mammoth reading challenge in another group I'm in, then back to a bit more fantasy for the last two weeks of June. Fantasy is one of my favourite genres and I love it when I find new series that I haven't read. I see lots of people are going for Robin Hobb's books. I have read the first one in her Assassin's series and really enjoyed it.

message 48: by Em (new)

Em (emmap) | 2929 comments I'm about to start Inkheart and I've been recommended another book which I'm really keen to read after that... Night Watch (Watch, #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko, looks like it's a good one if you like a Russian setting for the Around the World Challenge too (which I don't but nevermind!)

message 49: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 1010 comments My initial reaction to fantasy category was not enthusiasm but I have started AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman and 100 pages in I am enjoying it, maybe it is because I associate reading things like The Stand, Thomas Covenant, and Tolkein in my 20's , nostalgia! Anyway I feel I am boldly going where many men have gone before! However I am now juggling two books for 2 different challenges.

message 50: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Oh dear.....my enjoyment of A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin on the wane and only 37% read.

« previous 1 3