Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Buddy Reads > Wild Horses Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 340 comments Mod
Wild Horses (Sadie's Montana #1) by Linda Byler

Wild Horses by Linda Byler

Summary: When the Miller family moved from Ohio to Montana, Sadie had to leave her beloved horse, the Palomino named Paris. Still, she likes the Montana snows and her job at Aspen East Ranch serving the ranch hands.

Unexpectedly, Ezra appears, the man who seems to be perfect in every way and intends to marry Sadie. But does she love him back? And who is this fascinating Mark who helps to rescue a dying horse and shows up at the Amish hymn-sing though he is English?

Now Sadie's own close-knit family is falling apart. Will Dat let Mam seek professional help? Will Mam be willing?

Sadie finds some refuge in Navaeh, a black and white paint. But when a dreadful accident involving wild horses occurs, Sadie must move forward into the unknown future.

* As planned, we will try to read this book in a two week period. In week one (June 1st-8th), we'll discuss anything that happens in the book up to Chapter Fourteen. The rest of the book will be discussed the following week (June 8th-14th).

* We love discussion, of course, but if you post anything in a comment that might spoil the plot or twists for anyone else, be sure to post something along the lines of: ***Spoiler Alert*** so that others know to read your comment at their own risk.

* So far, I have these people participating with me: Lorie, Natalie, Carole, Krystaleve, Melissa, and Rosebud. If you want to join in after we start, feel free to do so. Also, if you've already read the book and want to join in the discussion, you're welcome to!

Can't wait to get started, guys! :D

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis Brittany, I'm reading a book that I've got to review in a couple of days, but I will start this one soon. I always look forward to a book that I can just relax and read without thinking about what to say!

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Haha, I know how you feel. I've gotten myself involved with a summer reading program and I have to read several books myself within a couple of weeks. But feel free to jump into the discussion whenever you can. :)

message 4: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I will be reading but I will be gone a lot this week since my grandfather passed away.

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis Lorie, so sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing. Did he live close to you? And is your grandmother still alive?

Brittany, I'm bad about committing to more than I can get to in a timely manner. Sounds like we may be alike in that characteristic!

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Jun 01, 2013 01:03PM) (new)

I'm sorry, too, to hear about the bad news, Lorie. I'll be praying for both you and your family. I know it's never easy to lose someone you love. I'm here if you need anyone to talk to.

message 7: by Lorie (new)

My grandmother died about 2 years ago. I do not live close to my grandfather so I will be traveling. He was 89. He shattered his hip. They really did not expect him to make it thru the surgery because of age, his kidneys are running on 40% and he has been having mini heart attacks, but if they did not do the surgery an infection would set in anyways. He ended up having a heart attack on the table during the surgery. He lived a good long life, got to travel a lot, and loved the Lord and his family. It was his time. I am at peace with it, but it still hurts.

message 8: by Brittany (new)

My prayers go with you and your family. And take your time with the book if need be. We understand. :)

Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis (becca4ever) | 51 comments Lorie, so sorry to hear about your grandfather. You will be in my prayers during this time. Sounds like you are at peace but it is always still hard to let go. Safe traveling mercies.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

So, I finished the book yesterday cause I couldn't put it down! There were so many twists and turns in the story and, for the most part, I really liked the writing - though, admittedly, there are a few aspects that annoyed me about it, too. I won't say too much about it, though, until I see where everyone's gotten. I don't want to spoil anything.

Has anyone else gotten a chance to start it?

message 11: by Rebecca "Rebaka" (new)

Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis (becca4ever) | 51 comments I'm just now getting started in the book but I'm going to finish it this weekend. Sorry for the late start.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments Lorie, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments I will be starting the book in a day or two. I will just read it straight through, I can't read two books at a time or anything like that.

message 14: by Lorie (new)

I am having a hard time getting into this book. I hope it gets better.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments Lorie wrote: "I am having a hard time getting into this book. I hope it gets better."

I'm feeling the same way. I'm just in the first chapter, but so far I felt like it was kind of jumping around following Sadie from the horse getting out of the trailer, to in the kitchen wanting a horse, etc., and I was having trouble keeping up with the narrative.

My Mom really enjoyed these books, she read the whole trilogy, so I'm thinking it is going to pick up soon.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments I'm about a third of the way in and it's picking up a lot more. I just have to get used to the writing style. It's really different and feels kind of disjointed to me. My mom has all three, not sure if I will continue to read them or not.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments Well, I finished the book. It really ends on a cliffhanger so I'm not sure if I will keep going or not. I really wasn't crazy about the writing style but I kind of want to find out about this dangling storyline.

message 18: by Krystaleve (new)

Krystaleve | 52 comments I have read up to chapter 14. I'm curious about what is causing Mam's mental health problems? I hope she's able to get help.

I'm looking forward to learning more about the character Mark.

message 19: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis I finally got time to read a little. I'm only around 15% in, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I like relationship drama, so it's holding my attention just fine.

message 20: by Brittany (new)

I understand what you meant about the writing, Melissa. While she's very descriptive, I didn't really like how she could go from writing one thing to flashing back to something else for several pages, then going back. A small flashback it fine, but it seemed like with her writing I'd just get used to a certain narrative before something else popped up.

There were a few other little things that kinda annoyed me about the writing, but I don't think it will be enough to deter me from reading the rest of the series. I, also, really want to read more about Mark!

message 21: by Rebecca "Rebaka" (new)

Rebecca "Rebaka" Lewis (becca4ever) | 51 comments This was a cute story. It didn't grab me like some other books have but it was a good read.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 127 comments I asked my Mom to just summarize the other two books for me but she couldn't remember. I will probably at least read the next one but it's far down the TBR list for sure.

message 23: by Lorie (new)

I am 80% done and while it really did not catch my interest in the beginning by about 40% the book got really good. Can't wait to finish it tonight!

message 24: by Brittany (new)

I'm glad you're liking it so far, Lorie! I thought it was a little slow going at first, too, mainly because the author likes to switch between the present and Sadie reminiscing about her past so much. But as I neared the half-way mark, it definitely picked up. I was especially interested in reading about her mother. I almost wanted to know more about what happened to her than the love interest! XD

And, like you Melissa, I'll be reading the sequel but its not very high up on the list.

message 25: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis I'm still hanging in there, just haven't had much time for reading. But strangely enough, I kind of like this book.

message 26: by Brittany (new)

No worries, Carole! Finish the book when you can. I certainly know how hard it can be to finish one when you have a ton of other reading to do. XD

I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, though!

message 27: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis It's certainly different, Brittany. Different style of writing, not sure how to describe it. Almost makes me feel like I'm right there in an Amish community.

I just finished a great book by Kathy Herman and now I've got to write a review!

message 28: by Krystaleve (new)

Krystaleve | 52 comments I finished the book Sunday. I enjoyed the story.
My favorite part of the story was the Christmas baking and celebrating.

I will share more of my thoughts when everyone has finished.reading the book. Happy reading.

message 29: by Lorie (new)

I finished and while the book started off slow I ended up interested. Will be nice to read the next in the series sometime.

I thought how the whole theme of "wild" horses was added made this interesting. I really like Amish mysteries.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wild Horses (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Linda Byler (other topics)