Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > June 2013 Purchases

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Share here your book purchased in June 2013.

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jun 01, 2013 11:15AM) (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Went to the library this morning to sign the kids up for the summer reading program (they have some really good activities planned this year and several area businesses are giving the kids freebies as incentives) and found these on the sale shelf.

Catherine the Great: Life and Legend
Romeo
Rivers of Gold

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I found a few more I couldn't convince myself to walk away from:

Leopard's Prey (Leopard People, #6) by Christine Feehan A Blue and Gray Christmas by Joan Medlicott

message 4: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5) by Robert Jordan Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6) by Robert Jordan A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7) by Robert Jordan The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8) by Robert Jordan I went to a book market today and found a new series by an unfamiliar author (seven out of the eight books). Can anyone tell me what the think of the author and/or thought of the "Wheel of Time" series? Green City in the Sun by Barbara Wood Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2) by Jean Plaidy Louis and Antoinette by Vincent Cronin The Innocent by Harlan Coben Illustrated Book of Steam and Rail by Colin Garrat

message 5: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 20 comments Thom wrote: "I went to a book market today and found a new series by an unfamiliar author (seven out of the eight books). Can anyone tell me what the think of the author and/or thought of the "Wheel of Time" series?.."

The "Wheel of Time" is actually fourteen books, not eight so you still have a few to find :) The last couple were written by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death. I have only read the first one, but many people consider them as one of the greatest epic fantasies ever written.

message 6: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 09, 2013 01:38PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments My Fair Concubine (Tang Dynasty, #3) by Jeannie Lin , Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind (Avalon Romance) by Heidi Ashworth form amazon, One Night for Love (Bedwyn Prequels #1) by Mary Balogh , A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels #2) by Mary Balogh , Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1) by Mary Balogh , First Comes Marriage by Mary Balogh , A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James , Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind , Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) by Josephine Angelini The Stanforth Secrets by Jo Beverley form Page1 my local bookstore.

message 7: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I pre-ordered/ordered a number of books recently:

- J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fall of Arthur
- James S.A. Corey's Abaddon's Gate
- Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Watcher in the Shadows
- Daniel Silva's The Fallen Angel
- Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane
- Kate Mosse's Citadel
- Marina Fiorato's The Venetian Contract
- Deadpool Killustrated

message 8: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Thank you for the input. I will start on the series soon and if it proves to be as good as what you say people feel, I’ll go out and buy the remaining seven books.

message 9: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 71 comments I got Department Nineteen (Department Nineteen, #1) by Will Hill ($1.99) and Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler ($3.99) Saturday.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

I had a pretty good weekend. Went to Chicago's Printers Row Lit Fest Saturday and Sunday and picked up: Ghosts Don't Ride Wild Horses (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #44) by Debbie Dadey The Rumpelstiltskin Problem by Vivian Vandevelde Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli Dawn's Big Move (The Baby-Sitters Club, #67) by Ann M. Martin Stacey's Big Crush (The Baby-Sitters Club, #65) by Ann M. Martin Mary Anne + 2 Many Babies (The Baby-Sitters Club, #52) by Ann M. Martin Mallory and the Trouble With Twins (The Baby-Sitters Club, #21) by Ann M. Martin Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) by Ann M. Martin Tangerine by Edward Bloor Murder Unmentionable (A Sweet Nothings Lingerie Mystery #1) by Meg London The Tale of Briar Bank (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #5) by Susan Wittig Albert Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5) by Anne Schreiber
And at a garage sale I got: Stacey's Movie (The Baby-Sitters Club, #130) by Ann M. Martin Claudia and the Terrible Truth (The Baby-Sitters Club, #117) by Ann M. Martin Stacey's Secret Friend (The Baby-Sitters Club, #111) by Ann M. Martin Dawn and the School Spirit War (The Baby-Sitters Club, #84) by Ann M. Martin Jessi and the Troublemaker (The Baby-Sitters Club, #82) by Ann M. Martin Stacey's Lie (The Baby-Sitters Club, #76) by Ann M. Martin Jessi's Horrible Prank (The Baby-Sitters Club, #75) by Ann M. Martin Kristy and the Copycat (The Baby-Sitters Club, #74) by Ann M. Martin Jessi Ramsey, Pet-sitter (The Baby-Sitters Club, #22) by Ann M. Martin

message 11: by Jey (new)

Jey | 6 comments I have a couple of the books as well, and haven't started reading 'em yet (they're frighteningly intimidating. :P ) But I have friends who have talked about no other books for around 2 years, when they were in the 'Wheel of time' phase. :D

message 12: by Veronika (last edited Jun 12, 2013 09:04PM) (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) Got Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) by Susan Beth Pfeffer and This World We Live In (Last Survivors, #3) by Susan Beth Pfeffer in the mail yesterday (I already own the second one in the series The Dead and the Gone (Last Survivors, #2) by Susan Beth Pfeffer )

message 13: by France (new)

France (kittyk4att) | 54 comments I had a look at a book sale in my local church and went back with Le Profilage criminel by Laurent Montet (the book is in bad condition, but I couldn't resist the idea of extending my Criminal Minds obsession) and Le Jardin de Badalpour by Kenizé Mourad, the sequel of De la part de la princesse morte, both wonderful stories set during the end of the Ottoman empire and the Indian royalties.

message 14: by Jey (new)

Jey | 6 comments twelvejan wrote: "Amongst the free and cheap reads that I've been downloading from Amazon, I'd splurged on some personally, highly anticipated books:-

Roman Blood
.."

I bought the book nearly a year ago, still haven't finished reading it. Am eager to know if it's great, maybe that will hasten my reading. :D

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Got some more used at Half Price Books: Werewolf in Denver (Wild About You, #4) by Vicki Lewis Thompson Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Infiltrator (Star Trek The Next Generation, #42) by W.R. Thompson Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3) by Jim C. Hines Touch of the Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #1) by Susan Krinard The Perfumed Garden of Cheikh Nefzaoui A Manual of Arabian Erotology by Cheikh Nefzaoui Goddess of Light (Goddess Summoning, #3) by P.C. Cast

message 16: by Joseph (new)

Two replacements for some of my flood damaged books arrived today: Top Secret by John Reynolds Gardiner and Jessi's Wish (The Baby-Sitters Club, #48) by Ann M. Martin

message 17: by Jey (new)

Jey | 6 comments twelvejan wrote: "Jey wrote: "twelvejan wrote: "Amongst the free and cheap reads that I've been downloading from Amazon, I'd splurged on some personally, highly anticipated books:-

Roman Blood
.."

I bought the boo..."

Roman Blood.. :)

message 18: by Joseph (new)

Another replacement delivery arrived: Keep Out, Claudia! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #56) by Ann M. Martin

message 19: by Kel (new)

Kel (kelpeterson) Got caught by a Better World Books 40% off 5+ Bargain Bin books (still ongoing today):
The Kestrel (Westmark, #2) by Lloyd Alexander The Beggar Queen (Westmark, #3) by Lloyd Alexander Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander Ice by Sarah Beth Durst Superior Saturday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #6) by Garth Nix

message 20: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 20 comments Found a couple of like new hard cover bargains online for 99 cents ..
Polgara the Sorceress by David Eddings The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings

message 21: by Karen M (last edited Jun 19, 2013 01:42PM) (new)

Karen M | 418 comments I've been shopping for used books online:

An Awfully Big Adventure, saw the movie & had to read the book
My Family and Other Animals, read one of his brother's books and I think there was a blurb on the backcover about the family
Blott on the Landscape, PBS series and I liked it
The Camomile Lawn, same for this one
T is for Trespass, already had U
Out to Canaan & These High, Green Hills, already have the first book in the series
The Last Enchantment, this one completes my set
Never Cry Wolf, saw the movie & I love wolves anyway
A Town Like Alice, wanted to read this since I read On The Beach by this author
Dune, read this & bought more of the series but when I went to reread Dune, couldn't find it anywhere

These purchases were the direct result of my wishlist and having not allowed myself to buy any books for the past year. Don't ask!

message 22: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Paris The Novel by Edward Rutherfurd Paris: The Novel I ordered this book more than a month ago but had to wait until it was once again in stock. I feel sure that the wait will be worth it.

message 23: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments Picked these up on the way home from work Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

message 24: by Joseph (new)

Got a whopper of a delivery :-)
Starring the Baby-sitters Club! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #9) by Ann M. Martin Snowbound (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #7) by Ann M. Martin Baby-sitters' Island Adventure (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #4) by Ann M. Martin Baby-Sitters on Board! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #1) by Ann M. Martin Jessi and the Awful Secret (The Baby-Sitters Club, #61) by Ann M. Martin Kristy and the Secret of Susan (The Baby-Sitters Club, #32) by Ann M. Martin Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-sitters Club, #26) by Ann M. Martin Jessi's Secret Language (The Baby-Sitters Club, #16) by Ann M. Martin The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3) by Ann M. Martin The Secret Life of Dilly McBean by Dorothy Haas Vanishing Act (Final Four Mysteries, #2) by John Feinstein
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard Itch The Explosive Adventures of an Element Hunter by Simon Mayo In Search of Goliathus Hercules by Jennifer Angus Night Vision (Indigo Court, #4) by Yasmine Galenorn Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6) by Kevin Hearne

message 25: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 21, 2013 05:04PM) (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments My Lord Vampire (Immortal Rogues #1) by Alexandra Ivy picked it up at hastings

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Another couple I've added to my library: A Cursed Embrace (Weird Girls, #2) by Cecy Robson Tarnished and Torn (A Witchcraft Mystery, #5) by Juliet Blackwell

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Got today
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1) by Ann Brashares Ava My Story by Ava Gardner Rose Madder by Stephen King Fatal Cure by Robin Cook

message 28: by Veronika (new)

Veronika (vforveronika) Got the beautiful Australian limited editions of The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins , Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins , and Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
also Matilda by Roald Dahl and I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thom wrote: "Paris The Novel by Edward RutherfurdParis: The Novel I ordered this book more than a month ago but had to wait until it was once again in stock. I feel sure that the wait will be worth it."

I am waiting for it to come out in the U.S

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments Veronika wrote: "Got the beautiful Australian limited editions of The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins, and Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
also Matilda by Roald Dahl..."

I love these covers. So much nicer than the original ones!

message 31: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 125 comments Today, I bought Deadly Eyes by Mike Meyer Joyland by Stephen King To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee Dark Deeds Serial killers, stakers and domestic homicides by Susan Fleet The Guns at Last Light The War in Western Europe, 1944-1945 by Rick Atkinson

Yesterday, I bought The Harvest by Clint Morey

message 32: by Michele (new)

message 33: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 125 comments Have been trying to buy The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley locally, sold out, including Chapters on-line.

Will buy from Amazon as a last resort. It isn't available as an ebook.

message 34: by Karen M (last edited Jun 27, 2013 03:17PM) (new)

Karen M | 418 comments Laurel wrote: "Have been trying to buy The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley locally, sold out, including Chapters on-line.

Will buy from Amazon as a last resort. It isn't available as an ebook."

If you're willing to buy used then try http://www.abebooks.com/. They're a sort of clearinghouse for a lot of used book vendors. I've found books on their website that have been out of print for forty years. They also have a lot of best sellers. I guess people buy the books, read it and sell it.

message 35: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (goodreadscomboddy_l) | 125 comments Karen M wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Have been trying to buy The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley locally, sold out, including Chapters on-line.

Will buy from Amazon as a last resort. It isn't available as an ebook."
..."

Thanks for the tip, Karen I will take a look. Always great to find another place to look at & buy books!

message 36: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments I found a new local bookstore and of course picked up a few books: Falling for Chloe (Lord Rival, #1) by Diane Farr , The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2) by Candice Hern , Fair Game by Diane Farr , Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2) by Diane Farr , Libby's London Merchant & Miss Chartley's Guided Tour by Carla Kelly , A Christmas Kiss and Winter Wonderland by Elizabeth Mansfield ,and A Dangerous Dalliance by Regina Scott

message 37: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (ileanfulton) | 242 comments I won a book from Penguin Publishers that came in the mail today "Angel City" by Jon Steele in hardback. I also added several new free titles on my Kindle, and "Borgia Bride" by Jeanne Kalogridis in trade paper fromSam's Club. Thank you Penguin Books!

message 38: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Evans (hilevans83) | 29 comments I didn't realize there were giveaways. I will start entering. I've won 5 or 6 books from LibraryThing in the last year or so, and all we good. I love all the new books I can get my hands on.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Bought some books at Salvation army the other day, found some really good finds.

Tenth Grade Bleeds (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #3) by Heather Brewer These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf Love is Murder (Daytime Mystery, #1) by Linda Palmer Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble Silver Shadows by Marianne Willman Romancing the Stone by Catherine Lanigan

Early this month for the Superman premiere we went to the bookstore by the theatre to kill the time and bought the Dante Valentine and Jill Kismet series by Lillith Saintcrow.

message 40: by Cammie (last edited Jul 01, 2013 12:57AM) (new)

Cammie | 108 comments In June I bought:

I got these on my Nook Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer Always the Baker, Finally the Bride (Emma Rae Creations, #4) by Sandra D. Bricker at Lifeway I got Gods at War Defeating the Idols That Battle for Your Heart by Kyle Idleman at Barns & Noble I got Love at Any Cost (The Heart of San Francisco, #1) by Julie Lessman and on my Nook I got these Weddings & Wasabi by Camy Tang Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer There You'll Find Me by Jenny B. Jones