Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2013 > David Copperfield Chapters 53 - the end

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) To discuss these chapters

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) How does everyone feel about how the characters life turned out in the end?

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Sara wrote: "How does everyone feel about how the characters life turned out in the end?"

I still have this section to read so I will get back to you on your question.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I thought everything ended well for the characters who were good and true. For those who were bitter and horrible, their lives reflected that. Dickens tied up everything in a nice neat package and in the end "All's well that ends well."

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) I was happy Charles Dickens gave David time to morn instead of having him get with Agnes right away. I was surprised and now understand why Ms. Dartle was so evil to Emily. Ms.Dartle really started acting crazy towards the end of the novel. She would not even let Ms.Streetforth morn her son. Traddles finally got married which is awesome. I find it very convenient that Streetforth and Ham died around the same time. Emily ending up alone was pretty convenient too.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I was kind of surprised that Ham did not take Emily back, but I guess that would have been a stretch for that time. I also found it interesting that the group of them immigrated to Australia and that Mr Peggoty actually came back for a visit. I agree that Ms Dartle was crazy and of course Mrs Steerfroth was so awful that Dickens saw to it that she suffered as well for her behavior. I rated the book with four stars. How did you rate it, Sara? Thanks for reading along with me!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) I rated it four stars too. This is the first time I have actively been apart of a goodreads group read. It was really fun and makes me want to join another group read.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Happy to hear that Sara...

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 401 comments Traddles was one of my favorite characters, and I'm glad he had a happy ending.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) He was wonderful, Denise. I loved his hair issues!

message 11: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinecarnivorous) | 22 comments I'm glad all the characters had all their own little happy endings, without having to explain too much, as the book is pretty thick already.
I wouldn't have minded reading more about David and Agnes' marriage, though! xD

Pasting the end of my review on it:
This was a really wonderful and greatly written book, but I have to admit it is kind of heavy and not so eventful. So I wouldn't really recommend this to absolutely everyone, but more to people who are particularly interested in Victorian literature, Charles Dickens and / or heavy reading.
The characters are all really lovely and realistic, and I especially loved David's two wives.
So yes! I'm pretty satisfied with it, and maybe I will read it again some day.