Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2013 > David Copperfield Chapters 37 - 44

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) To discuss these chapters

message 2: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Jul 07, 2013 04:47PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I just think that Mr Peggoty is the most wonderful character. I do so hope that he gets to see Emily soon. I also hope that David finds someone else other than Dora. My, my, she is annoying and is getting on my nerves. I was sorry that her father died, but it is time for her to grow up. Interestingly, I think David is starting to see her as a "pet" too!

Well he did marry Dora. Wonder If they will be happy. Does anyone think that Dora is simple minded?

message 3: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) I totally agree. I find her so annoying and think their marriage will not last. I wonder how their relationship will be in 10 or 20 years. David cannot talk to her about anything. I liked that Miss Trotwood gave David the advise she gave him.

It probably goes without mentioning at this point that Uriah Heep is getting on everybody's nerves. Dear Uriah, you are not humble if you tell everyone every five minutes you are humble.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Yes, Uriah belongs to that school where he thinks if he says something enough times, everyone will believe it.

Sara, do you think that because we are "modern" women that we find Dora hard to take? I do like most of the other women in this novel, except for Mrs Heep and Miss Murdstone.

message 5: by Parvathi (last edited Jul 09, 2013 11:38PM) (new)

Parvathi I found Dora to be a flat character initially.

But remember the conversation she had with David after her meeting with Agnes. She seems to be painfully aware of her naive character and wishes to change it. However, everybody treats her just as a plaything (including David).
So her circumstances do not help her in any way to attain the so-called maturity.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Makes me wonder if Dickens' wife was like Dora or maybe perhaps he wanted her to be. Easy to control a character such as Dora is it not? It does bother me how he calls her his child wife.

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) I really do like that Miss Betsey told him to accept Dora for who she is. Dora and Davids relationship made me think about how some marriages work and others fail. David knew how Dora was before he married her so I cannot be completely annoyed. Also, I do remember that scene were she shows that she is aware that she is naïve. I noticed that she told David to call her his childwife which really solidifys the fact that she probably will never change. Whenever David tries to mature her or talk to her about anything she does not mature.
I think Dora brings up the discussion of nature vs nurture. And also, accepting someone for who they are vs who you think they are or want them to be. I want her to be this mature women who is there for David but that is not her personality.

I think that us being modern women is a factor into why we are annoyed with Dora. Me personally, what sits in my mind is that scene where David is trying to talk to Dora about a plan to work to getting out of poverty that she can help him with. Dora completely cannot think about it. I felt that she is not suited for poverty. What bugs me is that she cannot handle even the simplest tasks. I feel that her personality will be cute in the newlywed stage but it will not be in 10-20 years.

The women characters I am sick of: Miss Dartle, Ms.Streetforth, and Ms.Murstone.

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinecarnivorous) I'm happy for David that he has a cute little wife, especially since he has experienced so much death and sadness in his life.