Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2013 > David Copperfield Chapters 12 - 17

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) To discuss these chapters

message 2: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Jun 17, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Very unusual but oftentimes happy situations happening for David. I was very happy for him in his relationship with both his aunt and Mr Dick. I was so very happy that Aunt Betsey put the Murdstones in their place and wonder if they will reappear in the story. The doctor also seems to be looking out for David. The Micawbers reappear and their tale of woe continues. Uriah Heep and his mother are not nice characters and they prey on David's naïveté. I fear that they do not have David's best interests in mind. I really do like Mr Dick however.

message 3: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2507 comments Marialyce wrote: "Uriah Heep and his mother are not nice characters and they prey on David's naïveté. I fear that they do not have David's best interests in mind. I really do like Mr Dick however. "

I think you show good taste and judgment here.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara Weather (saraweather) I was thinking things were happy for too long. I did not care about most of the new characters. Then again, I got confused and had to make a character chart at this point.
I'm happy David is away from the Murdstones definitely.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) I was glad Aunt Betsey did what she did. I expected a bad result when he went to her home.

message 6: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 2507 comments Julie wrote: "I was glad Aunt Betsey did what she did. I expected a bad result when he went to her home."

She is an absolute delight.

"Donkeys, Janet!" was a frequent expression of my parents when something suddenly needed immediate attention.

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 400 comments Aunt Betsey is one of my favorite characters in the novel. After storming out when David turned out to be a girl, I didn't expect much from her when he went to find her, but she pleasantly surprised me.