Victorians! discussion

Archived Group Reads 2013 > David Copperfield Background

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Please add anything you feel relevant to our discussion of this novel.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (readerjules) Great Expectations is the only other Dickens I have read so far. Due to my bad memory, I can't evne think of what the ending is right now!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) V.r. wrote: "It's so ambiguous! He goes back to Estella, but she's still married, so the only relationship they can have is platonic (which may, ideally, have appealed to Dickens) or they have an affair, which ..."

Please V.r., do not give away details about the book unless you hide them. This can be done by (view spoiler). Then people have an option to read it or not. Thank you!

message 4: by V.R. (last edited Jun 02, 2013 03:55PM) (new)

V.R. Christensen (vrchristensen) Oops. Sorry. But I was talking about Great Expectations. Not David Copperfield. Are you reading that book too? Unless you mean the previous comment. I'll delete my comments.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 86 comments This was another serialised publication, May (1849) - Nov (1850) three chapters a month!

First published as a novel in 1850 the original title was The Personal History, Adventures, Experience and Observation of David Copperfield the Younger of Blunderstone Rookery (which he never meant to publish on any account)

It is said he invented over 14 titles for this work.

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 401 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "First published as a novel in 1850 the original title was The Personal History, Adventures, Experience and Observation of David Copperfield the Younger of Blunderstone Rookery (which he never meant to publish on any account)"

I love that title! Especially the part in parentheses!

message 7: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinecarnivorous) | 22 comments Gluing in the beginning of my review on it:

One of the famous books I didn't really have much knowledge about, and since I'm reading the most famous Dickens novels right now, I gave it a try. As suspected, this novel is very similar to Charles Dickens' own life.

The book is narrated by David Copperfield himself, and follows his entire life, from he was born, until adult life. I have to admit I was sometimes confused, cause it is all written and described so wonderfully that I forget Copperfield is a mere child at the beginning of the story.