Making Connections discussion

Charles Bukowski
This topic is about Charles Bukowski
ARCHIVES > Bukowski wannabe

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luís (new)

Luís  Azevedo (luisfazevedo) Do you think writing in a Bukowskiesk style (if there's a word for it) is completely saturated? I find myself annoyed at any writing that resembles to Bukowski, and I don't know why. Dickensian, Orwellian, Kafkaesque, don't seem to annoy me, but every time I read from the POV of a drinking writer, obsessed with women's bodies I find it pretensious.
I'm asking because I'm outlining a novel and I'm definitely going to do it in Bukowskiesk! :)

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments As a writer myself, I'm just curious. Why are you going to write in a style that annoys you? Because it will fit the tone and style of the story better? I've never read Bukowski or drinking writers' novels (sounds like it's aimed at a male audience more than female), so can't comment on that part of it.

message 3: by Luís (new)

Luís  Azevedo (luisfazevedo) Judith wrote: "As a writer myself, I'm just curious. Why are you going to write in a style that annoys you? Because it will fit the tone and style of the story better? I've never read Bukowski or drinking writ..."

It's not that the style annoys me. The style is easy to mimic, so a lot of people do so. I LOVE Bukowski, but aspiring writers use his style depleted of any meaning.
And yeah, usually men prefer it, but I've heard from some women who loved it, too.

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith Post | 391 comments Got it. You love his STYLE. That makes sense to me. In that case, happy writing!