This topic is about The Dud Avocado
The Dud Avocado > First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michael (knowledgelost) | 1255 comments Mod
First impressions

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim From the title alone I have no idea what I'm in for. I read the blurb a while ago but have since forgotten it.

message 3: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

I'm actually very excited about reading this one. Something different

Rachel Willis I feel like it took me a while to get started with this one, but once I was sucked into the writing and the story, I absolutely loved it.

message 5: by JoBerlin (new)

JoBerlin Rachel wrote: "I feel like it took me a while to get started with this one, but once I was sucked into the writing and the story, I absolutely loved it."
Same with me, seems difficult to get into this book.

message 6: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

That sounds like final thoughts not first impressions

Mish | 92 comments It's hooked me from the very beginning. Sally Jay is a free spirited and slightly ditsy character but she's highly entertaining and humourous. And the humour feels natural, not forced or overdone but perfect.

I'm feeling a 70s vibe. I can't exactly explain why but it feels hip and 70s and I've got music from that era playing around in my head. Perhaps it's got something to do with her look & hair

So at this stage I'm having a blast and I don't think it's going to take me long to finish it.

message 8: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

A 70's vibe, that's interesting Mish. The book was written in the 50's :P but I know what you mean, sexual freedom seems to go hand and hand with the 70's more than the 50's but this is Europe; maybe they were more free.

Mish | 92 comments Yes that’s right. I can’t associate her behaviour to the 50s. It’s outrageous and care free and I feel she’s always been like that but being in Paris brings out the best in her. It really delightful to read.

And yes I knew it was written in the 50s :P

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Was slightly put off by there being a recommendation by Jilly Cooper on the cover of my copy, but I'm enjoying it so far. At first I too was thinking that it didn't seem very 50s, but now I can imagine Audrey Hepburn playing Sally in a slightly watered down film version - directed by Billy Wilder perhaps.

message 11: by Michael, Mod Prometheus (new) - rated it 2 stars

One of the things I'm enjoying about this book so far is the fact that I can't work out what direction the author is trying to take. I feel like I'm constantly being surprised by the journey I'm on.

message 12: by Franky (last edited Jun 10, 2013 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Franky Am I the only one finding these characters incredibly shallow? I'm about 60 pages in.

Maybe it will get better?

message 13: by JoBerlin (new)

JoBerlin Franky wrote: "Am I the only one finding these characters incredibly shallow? I'm about 60 pages in.

Maybe it will get better?"

60 pages! I'm only on page 20 ... just can't get into the book, it's a shame I know.I'll try again later this week when I'm having a few days off.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim I feel the same. There just seems no point to it. I will try reading more but I'm not enjoying it.