Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > June 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 318 (318 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments John, I hope you don't mind my starting this thread!

I found English Creek even better than Dancing at the Rascal Fair
Review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Then I continued on with Ellis Peters's fabulous Cadfael series.
Monk's Hood
My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
followed by
The Virgin in the Ice

I tried to download from Downpour A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, but it failed, so I will read Fever first..... while they fix the problem.

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Yea! Glad to hear you enjoyed English Creek. I am interested in hearing how you like the last two books you listed, as well as how your Downpour experience goes.

message 3: by Chrissie (last edited Jun 01, 2013 07:42AM) (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Kristie, I am absolutely loving Fever! I totally empathize with Mary Mallon. This book shows you how she felt. I read another review of this book and that person said she found Mary disagreeable! I am wondering how this is possible. Is it that she read the paper book and the narrator of the audiobook, Candace Thaxton, changes one's perception completely? I feel sorry for Mary. She is lonely, she misses her "husband"/boyfriend, she is given no clear explanation of all the tests being done to her. Jeez, I just want to punch the people around her. Also Candace Thaxton's Irish accent is fabulous. Not too much to make it difficult to understand and not too little dialect, just perfect!

Downpur gave me some feeble explanation. If they do not fix this soon I want my money back and I will buy it from Audible instead!

message 4: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1959 comments Chrissie wrote: "Kristie, I am absolutely loving Fever! I totally empathize with Mary Mallon. This book shows you how she felt. I read another review of this book and that person said she found Mary disagreeable! I..."

I read Fever in print and loved it! I too felt sorry for Mary and felt the same way you do.
Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Susie, yay for Mary! I liked your review. Gosh, it is good to know I am not the only one who is on her side!

message 6: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1959 comments Chrissie wrote: "Susie, yay for Mary! I liked your review. Gosh, it is good to know I am not the only one who is on her side!"

Thanks! I thought about her long after I finished the book!

message 7: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3641 comments No problem, Chrissie -- I usually start the next month before I go to bed, but last night I forgot until after I'd shut down the computer.

message 8: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments John, glad I could help!

message 9: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments I finished the second book in the Inspector Appleby series by Michael Innes, Hamlet, Revenge! I enjoyed this one tremendously, it being from the Golden Age of British Mystery ala Agatha Christie. It was very cleverly written--sometimes too clever as I missed many of the literary references--and had more plot twists than a pretzel. To point out problems with the text seems petty, given how much I enjoyed it, but it had a cast of thousands--or so it seemed--that made keeping all the identities in mind nearly impossible. It was somewhat overlong for mysteries written during that time and many things were dragged out for atmosphere--or possibly to hide other clues. The narration was very good but I had trouble understanding one Scottish character. I usually don't have trouble with accents, but this one was very thick and spoken very quickly. I intend to go on with the series but I also intend to go back and re-read this one some day. For those who also like Edmund Crispin, Innes and Crispin wrote contemporarily and have a similar erudite style although Innes is less farcical. I think I may have even read somewhere that Crispin got his pen name from one of Innes' characters--the Crispin family was prominent in this story.

message 10: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments I bought 2 books from Downpour and downloaded one without problem but the other book (which is a newly released book) refused to load and crashed my app. When I reported it to CS they are supposed to be checking on it . . . the guy I talked to said they are making upgrades to the app which will be done with the next upgrade.

message 11: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments I got my credit back b/c I still cannot get it to function. I bought another and it too didn't work! Previously I have bought books from Downpour and there were no problems..... Do I end my subscription or will they be fixing the problem?!

message 12: by Tomerobber (new)

Tomerobber | 193 comments Hi Chrissie,
I figured I'd give them until Monday or Tuesday to see if the issue gets resolved . . . I didn't report my problem until Friday afternoon and it looks like a techie problem so there's probably no one available over the weekend.

I checked to see if the book I was having the problem with is available from Audible . . . and it was so if they can't fix it I'll get my credit back and get from audible instead . . .

message 13: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Tomerobber, I'll do the same.

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 946 comments I've started The Ice Limit. That should help pass a long 6 hour drive.

Laurie (Kwiltreader) (lauriekwiltreader) | 15 comments Just completed listening to Another Man's Moccasins #4 in the Longmire series. I must have missed #3 in the series cause something developed between the characters that surprised me...won't give any of it away. Another good read by George Guidell but I had to remind myself this wasn't Q from The Cat Who Series... lol. Starting Mourn Not Your Dead. I have a quilt to finish and listening keeps me motivated.

message 16: by Bill (Just a) (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 698 comments My child bride (well she was when I married her) has driven off to the land of Grand Children. She will be finishing up Dresden's Turn Coat. On the way back, she will leave (for a bit) Chicago's wizard for hire, and turn to "Under the Dome" in order to prepare for the series starting in June.

I am finishing Under the Dome - into Part 1V of the download. I am liking it. The narrator is doing a really good job with the character voices. The Jim Rennie voice is a perfect fit.

The only thing is the setting seems not optimal. It is close to Castle Rock - the center of King's world. But really - this should have been set deep in the heart of Texas. The religio-political folk is the Robert Tilton type flock all over. Can I get an Amen on that? Or he could have had his pick of any number of Southern towns were Jesus and the Chamber of Commerce meet to worship at the ballet box.

The work commute book for the child bride and I has been started. This one is set in the south and so far we are enjoying "Beautiful Creatures". It is YA so it moves a bit slower but still an interesting idea.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Bill, I just love the way you talk about your wife. She is one lucky woman to have a good man like you in her life :-). And, I suspect, vice versa.

message 18: by David (new)

David Wilson | 87 comments Bill... If you and your wife run out of Harry Dresden, you might give my DeChance Chronicles a shot...while Donovan and Harry aren't the same, they are similar enough I think fans would cross over. I think this because I've read most of the Dresden books :)

message 19: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 473 comments Outlander fans, good news!

The TV network STARZ, has officially issued a series order to time travel romance ‘Outlander,’ based on the popular Diana Gabaldon books of the same name.

According to Deadline, ‘Outlander,’ set to unfold over 16 episodes, tells the story of married World War II combat nurse Claire, who accidentally steps back in time to the year 1743 where she is “immediately thrown into an unknown world of adventure that sends her on the run and threatens her life.”

Claire is forced to marry a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior named Jamie, igniting a passionate affair that tears Claire’s heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. Moore has recruited Toni Graphia, Matt Roberts, Ira Behr and Anne Kenney as fellow writers on the project, which likely begins shooting this October in Scotland.

For its part, the ‘Outlander’ series of books have sold over 20 million copies, with an eighth novel in the series due out later this year

Very cool!

http://screencrush.com/starz-outlande...

message 20: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 705 comments Jennifer wrote: "Bill, I just love the way you talk about your wife. She is one lucky woman to have a good man like you in her life :-). And, I suspect, vice versa."

But she has to look at him too...

I kid, I kid.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

This is timely - I just started Outlander, and was wondering if there was a movie. Davina Porter is my new favourite narrator (narratrix?)

message 22: by Jeanie (last edited Jun 02, 2013 10:52PM) (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments This is timely given David's above comment... I just finished Heart of a Dragon, first in the DeChance Chronicles by none other than David Niall Wilson--and narrated extremely well by Corey snow. I am a Dresden fan and am now also a DeChance fan. The two series are different in many ways but an Urban Fantasy fan should be drawn in quickly to this story. And the Wilson/Snow writer/narrator team is a great one. I definitely plan to get the next one in the series soon. Disclaimer: I am in no way related to the above named writer or narrator and have not been paid for this opinion--although I am open to any future attempts at bribery; not that it will change my opinion, but I am open to it ;P

message 23: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments Laurie (Kwiltreader) wrote: "Just completed listening to Another Man's Moccasins #4 in the Longmire series. I must have missed #3 in the series cause something developed between the characters that surprised me...won't give ..."

Kindness Goes Unpunished was the third book in the series, is that the one you missed? Love the series and the narrator.

message 24: by David (new)

David Wilson | 87 comments Jeanie wrote: "This is timely given David's above comment... I just finished Heart of a Dragon, first in the DeChance Chronicles by none other than David Niall Wilson--and narrated extremely well by Corey smith. ..."
It's Corey Snow :) REALLY glad you enjoyed it. Vintage Soul is next in line, and it's a big darker, I think, with 100% more vampires... I actually wrote it BEFORE I wrote Heart of a Dragon...long story. Hopefully you'll love them all..

message 25: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments David wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "This is timely given David's above comment... I just finished Heart of a Dragon, first in the DeChance Chronicles by none other than David Niall Wilson--and narrated extremely well b..."

I knew that, my brain backfired as I was typing ;) I'm going back to correct it. And I hope it doesn't get too much darker, I'm actually a big sissy.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments Grumpus wrote: "Outlander fans, good news!

The TV network STARZ, has officially issued a series order to time travel romance ‘Outlander,’ based on the popular Diana Gabaldon books of the same name.

According to ..."

its looking like April next year (ish) for release ;) the guy who did battlestar galactica is the producer IIRC - but he is a huge Gabaldon fan

message 27: by David (new)

David Wilson | 87 comments Jeanie wrote: "David wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "This is timely given David's above comment... I just finished Heart of a Dragon, first in the DeChance Chronicles by none other than David Niall Wilson--and narrated ex..."

Only in that there are vampires. I think the "tone" of the DeChance Chronicles novels remains pretty consistent throughout.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments I really liked Fever. Good from start to finish! Think if all historical fiction was this good. Excellent narration too.

I will start A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. By my definition this too is historical fiction, even though it describes events not yet fifty years in the past. Will it be as good?

message 29: by David (new)

David Wilson | 87 comments Chrissie wrote: "I really liked Fever. Good from start to finish! Think if all historical fiction was this good. Excellent narration too.

Chrissie ... for historical fiction I recently listened to "Hand of Isis" which, while having a very slight fantasy element, is a wonderful retelling of the story of Cleopatra from the perspective of one of her sister/handmaidens. It's narrated by Gigi Shane, who's work I love.

message 30: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments David, thanks for the tip. I will check it out.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1540 comments I have fever to read and then reading a NF abt her - looking forward to it

message 32: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments Dee, I really enjoyed Fever, right from the start. I cannot say that aboutA Constellation of Vital Phenomena. Everybody says it is well written. Really? Most of the humor doesn't make me laugh, all though overall it is not supposed to be a book you choose for humor.... What is thrown in I want to be amused by. And the narration, it is like there is a huge distance between the events and the storyteller. Like she doesn't give a dam. Maybe it will improve? I sure hope so. I want my first impression to be proven wrong. This is such a contrast to how I reacted to "Fever".

message 33: by Corey (new)

Corey Snow (voxman) | 38 comments Jeanie wrote: "This is timely given David's above comment... I just finished Heart of a Dragon, first in the DeChance Chronicles by none other than David Niall Wilson--and narrated extremely well by Corey snow. ..."

Thank you SO much for the kind words, Jeanie. Given that Heart of a Dragon was my first book, I look back on it now with fondness, although I also hear all the things I did wrong now too. :)

It was a lot of fun to narrate that story and it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it.

message 34: by David (new)

David Wilson | 87 comments I should mention that the eBook of Heart of a Dragon is currently discounted to .99 so - with Whispersync for Voice you can get the whole package for less than $3.00

message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments Corey, I knew it was your first from a another thread. I suppose every narrator hears what's "wrong" in their early narrations, but there would be no narrations at all if there were no firsts. I will say that yours is a very pleasant and rich voice for the text and are able to develop many distinctive and well-defined character voices. I'm wondering, since I haven't picked up the second one yet but intend to do so, do you feel your narration developed over the series or did you stick with original choices whether you like them now or not?

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments I finished Someone Knows My Name and found it very good. Gave it 4.5 stars. I'm a little old to be wowed by a story about the slave trade, since I was around in the 60's and have read many tales of the atrocities of the human race, particularly white so-called Christians, it seems. Was blown away by the movie Armistad. Still, this one was very good and the ending had me tearing up. I actually thought Aminata got off quite easily, though.

message 37: by Corey (new)

Corey Snow (voxman) | 38 comments Jeanie wrote: "Corey, I knew it was your first from a another thread. I suppose every narrator hears what's "wrong" in their early narrations, but there would be no narrations at all if there were no firsts. I ..."

Actually, unless we're attending a coaching class or get a review that calls out something specific, feedback is not something narrators (at least at my stage) get a lot of. Many take lots of coaching and classes to keep their knives sharp, so to speak. Which is one reason I love this little group. The Q&A thread is super helpful.

In answer to your question, I definitely stuck with most of my character choices and voices. The things that I believe I have improved on are simply having a more fluid and relateable delivery, as well as general improvements in audio quality.

So, I have improved my craft, but Donovan is still Donovan. :)

message 38: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1959 comments Finished Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by Fiona Carnarvon narrated by, Wanda McCaddon I liked it well enough but found the most fascinating part of the story was that Lord Carnarvon was partners with Howard Carter when he found King Tut's tomb this whole Egypt story was the best part of the book.

Now listening to The Asylum by, John Harwood narrated by, Rosalyn Landor.

message 39: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments Corey wrote: "I have improved my craft, but Donovan is still Donovan. :)"

I'll let you know ;P

message 40: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments David wrote: "I should mention that the eBook of Heart of a Dragon is currently discounted to .99 so - with Whispersync for Voice you can get the whole package for less than $3.00"

Thank you for that. I've popped for the ebook and have the audiobook in my Wish List.

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments I started Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy based on recommendations here but found I couldn't get into it. I've been listening to tons of podcasts lately since I got a new car with bluetooth and can stream from my phone (so exciting!) so maybe my attention span has shrunk.

So I gave that book up and checked out A Discovery of Witches which I started but again with the attention span. This one I'm liking much more but keep finding myself listening to other things. Gotta get back on track!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Jessica wrote: "I started Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy based on recommendations here but found I couldn't get into it. I've been listening to tons of po..."

Oh that makes me sad. I loved Bloody Jack on audio - sorry you couldn't get into it. I was not a fan of Discovery of Witches but I hope you like it :)

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 108 comments Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I started Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy based on recommendations here but found I couldn't get into it. I've been listeni..."

Maybe I'll go back to it. Does it get less depressing? I only listened to the beginning when the kids are on the street with encounters with the body collector and dirty clothes and begging, etc.

message 44: by MissSusie (last edited Jun 04, 2013 01:29PM) (new)

MissSusie | 1959 comments Jessica wrote: "Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I started Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy based on recommendations here but found I co..."

OMG yes it does it is rip roaringly hilarious once you get into the series!

EDT: Sorry huge fan of the series especially on audio!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Hahahaha MissSusie spoke for me! I am remembering back and remember that Jacky was really a downer until she gets onto the seas - she is hilarious! I have stuck with the series the entire time and just love it. I would suggest you give it another go and at least get until she on the ship and meets her mates.

message 46: by David (new)

David Wilson | 87 comments I had the same experience with Bloody Jack. I started it, and never got past the part in the city...just could not quite get into it.

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1098 comments I finishedA Constellation of Vital Phenomena, which so many like....except me, it seems. I explain why in my review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I have begun Americanah, because I have liked other books by the author. Set in Nigeria primarily.

message 48: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 9 comments Have just been listening to some Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. They are not hard to digest and much like watching a Die Hard/ Jason Statham/ Arnie movie... full of cliches. But they pass the time entertainingly enough.
I have listened to four now; Killing Floor, Die Trying, Trip Wire and now The Visitor. These first four have different narrators so far the first three almost passable.
HOWEVER...
Hayward Morse, who narrates The Visitor,narrates all the women, who are supposedly smart, intelligent and capable (FBI agents, high flying solicitors, detectives,) with whiny, nasal voices that makes anything they stupid and pathetic. The intonation he uses in their given lines is appalling and really spoils the book (one review on Audible likened the voices to Liberace Archie, read it too late :( ) Such a shame as this one has quite a passable story line. It has kind of put me off going any further with the series (16 books). Has anyone listened beyond No 4 and found the narrators get any better?

message 49: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1959 comments Nikki wrote: "Have just been listening to some Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child. They are not hard to digest and much like watching a Die Hard/ Jason Statham/ Arnie movie... full of cliches. But they pass the ti..."

Starting at book 5 the narrator is Dick Hill for all the rest of them, who IMHO is a good narrator.

message 50: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 9 comments Thank you Miss Susie.
Much relieved.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.