Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's May 2013

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments An audio filled month, catching up with favorites series was the general theme and there were some good ones on the list! (more details with each book's review)
Life After Life
Small Favor
The Famous and the Dead
Bad Blood
Leaving Everything Most Loved
Atkinson, Kate Life After Life Finished 5/1/2013 on Audio Rank 9.75 = Five stars? Absolutely without question. I already admired Kate Atkinson, now even more so. The intermingling of history as we watch Ursula grow up is fascinating to me. On audio, once I got the hang of the time shifts and unusual format I was deeply hooked and am sorry to let the book go. I need to look it up in print to see how the presentation of Ursula's different lives were segmented. 

Stabenow, Dana Bad Blood finished 5/7/2013 on Audio Rank 9.75 A favorite series and characters, Kate Shugak's Alaska unfolds anew with a panoramic view of the past and the glorious setting, stoked with a dangerous combination of righteous indignation bred from years of simmering hatreds that spill way too much blood from too many people.

Winspear, Jacqueline Leaving Everything Most Loved Finished 5/16/2013 on Audio Rank 9.75 A favorites series, and an eagerly anticipated installment. Maisie's character evolves and grows in each book, seeking knowledge and understanding and continuing to recover from her experiences, now years before, during the first world war. As read by Orlagh Cassidy, Maisie's voice is in my head, sharing her perspective of the post war years as the class system chips away and the world seems poised for change amid rumblings that we as readers know presage another war. Experiencing the early twentieth century world through Maisie's British female eyes and witnessing her transformation is quite intriguing.

Parker, T. Jefferson The Famous and the Dead finished 5/24/2013 on Audio Rank 9 With a bit of trepidation, I picked up this audio knowing it was to be the 'explosive conclusion' of the series. I have enjoyed the Charlie Hood books from the start, and have eagerly anticipated each new installment. With the previous five books as a guide, I knew The Famous and the Dead could be no less than explosive.

Butcher, Jim Small Favor finished 5/26/2013 Kindle library Rank 8.75 Something about a book for adults with the Billy Goats Gruff as villains tickles my fancy, as does Harry Dresden. Harry is his indomitable self as usual, but it is his friends who have his back who show Harry in the true light and who keep him grounded (sort of) ;)

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2628 comments Good month, Ann. Are your ears tired?

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments My ears are never tired Dan! I love love love audio books! ;)

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments Love me some Harry Dresden!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7825 comments Ann,once again we are living parallel lives with our mostly (all) audio month! How did I miss the Charlie Hood series? I used to be TJ's number 1 fan. I'll have to add it to the list. I'm also glad to be reminded of Maisie Dobbs, I'm slowly working my way through the series.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2966 comments I don;t think Charlie Hood is going away. He was around long before the Border series, and enough was left open at the end to allow the character to continue.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14306 comments I hope we see more of Charlie Hood, Barry! I am not imagining him as a car salesman though. Mild (view spoiler)