The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Theme Reads > June '13: Dickens

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
Okay, so this weekend is the Dickens Weekend down in Rochester which I shall be going to.

It got me thinking that, just as with other classics, sometimes Dickens books are bought with the idea of reading but end up being put away until you find more time.

So dust off Dickens and have a sit down with him as this mon th's theme read shall be the works of Mr Dickens :)

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
Ah Dickens! I heart Dickens. I have so many! I saw you started Nicholas Nickleby. Maybe I should try David Copperfield. Anyone else have that on their TBR?

message 3: by Hayley (new)

Yup, started Nicholas Nickleby. I already had a copy on my bookcase but when I went into Rochester I had to go to Baggins (largest second-hand bookshop in England - woohoo!) and bought another copy as it looked lovely and a copy of Barnaby Rudge too :D

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (flutterby32) | 54 comments That's so funny because I started reading Oliver Twist about a week ago. I have it as an ebook so it isn't on this list but still something I've been wanting to read.

message 5: by Hayley (new)

I love Oliver Twist! That is a good coincidence too, even if it isn't technically a 'dusty' - still enjoyable :D

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I didn't think I had any dusty Dickens, because I love his novels and have read all that I have, but I see that I placed a book of ghost stories by him on my to-read shelf because I wasn't sure I had ever read the whole book (although I probably had), so I will see if I can get to that sometime in June. I am probably going to read The Pickwick Papers, which I have never read, in July for another group, but that is so far from dusty I haven't even bought it yet!

In the meantime, if anybody is interested, the Victorians! group is discussing David Copperfield in June (actually, for six weeks, so partway through July, too). If you happen to be reading it for this theme, and want to discuss it, too, come on over!

message 7: by Hayley (new)

Darn, I keep forgetting this isn't another site and so I can't 'love' posts :(
I'm glad you found something Denise, didn't realise he had a book of ghost stories too :O That may be something for me to look out for :D

Unfortunately I do not have David Copperfield to join in with but I may take a peek at the group anyway, thanks for the heads up :)

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Hayley, I think the book of ghost stories were collected later by someone else, rather than an actual book that Dickens published. But I mostly have novels by him, so it was good to get a collection of stories, especially ghost stories! It does actually include A Christmas Carol.

I think this is it:

Complete Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens

message 9: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments I want to read Bleak House this year, but I don't know that I'm going to get to it. I still have A Dance With Dragons to read! For now, I'm reading Patriot Games and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle which are fun and fast!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 0 comments I'm still working on last month's challenge, so I might not get to this one, even though I have been meaning to give Dickens another chance for a while now...

message 11: by Hayley (new)

Denise wrote: "Hayley, I think the book of ghost stories were collected later by someone else, rather than an actual book that Dickens published. But I mostly have novels by him, so it was good to get a collection of stories, especially ghost stories! It does actually include A Christmas Carol."

Ah, brilliant! Thank you muchly :) I may look into that in future (for those scary nights around a bonfire?)

Ruth: You have certainly got a good list there to keep you going, we wouldn't dream of interrupting it :D

Catherine: I'm still reading last month's challenge too... and remembering why it may have been put down and left in the first place :S

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 0 comments Oh, I am loving mine, it's just really long... The two other times I started it, I got 200 pages in before running out of time. Almost there though.

message 13: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments LOL, I'm still working on last month's, too! I'm about halfway through. I am really enjoying it this time around, though, so I'm glad I finally made myself read it.

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments This reminds me that I still have to finish Great Expectations. It is taking forever to get through.

message 15: by Hayley (new)

I think my sister had the same problem Jennifer! I remember her reading it one christmas holiday and she was still reading it over New Year and after that... she did complain about it's length a fair bit ;)

Good luck!

message 16: by Hayley (new)

How's everyone coming on with their Dickens? Nicholas Nickleby took a bit to pick up but now it has it's a rather enjoyable read :)

message 17: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) I did a Dickens recently so I skipped this one. David Copperfield was pretty heavy.

message 18: by Hayley (new)

That's good to know Alana, thanks.

How are people taking part in this month's theme read finding it then? I think after Nickleby I shall move on to Barnaby Rudge :)

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I think I should be able to get to those ghost stories by next week.

message 20: by Hayley (new)

Okay, I have made a choice - I am going to put into effect a psychic 'Like' button in this group!

If you see something you like in a person's post then send them a 'psychic like' and they'll get a warm, fuzzy feeling - like a hug - when ya do ;)

I say this as I'm way too used to other social media sites where I can either 'like' or 'favourite' or even click on the heart of a post and I need that here :P

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments 'Psychic Like' to Hayley!!!

message 22: by Hayley (new)

I felt that!! Least I think I may have... I was asleep but it prob came in at the good part of my dream ;P
I have my theory test tomorrow so instead of reading tonight I shall be revising :(

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments I finally finished "Great Expectations". It took a long time, and I often chose other books over it, but it is done. Now to watch the South Park parody episode of it. :)

message 24: by Ruth Wilson (new)

Ruth Wilson | 87 comments South Park did a parody of GE? No way... gotta check THAT out. LOL

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments Yes, it is called "Pip". It is in season four, and it is available to watch free online at southparkstudios.com. It is the only film adaptation of GE that I've seen, and at first I didn't realize that's what it was, but it is a lot of fun.