True Love 101 discussion

Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Sins & Needles
Contemporary Romance > Sins & Needles (2013 June Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), The Ace (last edited May 31, 2013 11:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments The group read for June is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

[image error]

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments I am loving this book. :) I am worried that (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments I think your spoiler is warranted. I felt the same way when reading it.

Happy to see that you're enjoying it!

message 5: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments I'm going to start this later in the week. I'm excited that you're enjoying it Regina.

Layali (lallouch) | 11 comments I'm halfway through the book i'm reading, but, i would like to read this with u, so like Leea hopefully i'll start it later this week.

Layali (lallouch) | 11 comments I'm halfway through the book i'm reading, but, i would like to read this with u, so like Leea hopefully i'll start it later this week.

message 8: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha | 463 comments Leea wrote: "I'm going to start this later in the week. I'm excited that you're enjoying it Regina."

Me too. I hope :)

message 9: by Tellulah (new)

Tellulah Darling (tellulahdarling) I have to say I liked Camdem precisely because (view spoiler)

message 10: by Tellulah (new)

Tellulah Darling (tellulahdarling) Camdem? Me spell good today.

message 11: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments I'll get back into this groove after this weekend. I'm about 17% of the way through (page 80 of 434 on the Kindle edition).

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Hmmm Camdemmmmmmm -- not as sexy. :) I liked that too Tellulah. I liked that it was not easy and that (view spoiler)

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments I see you didn't lke the book much though, I loved it. Maybe 4.5 stars, definitely over 4. I rounded it up for originality and character development. I think the book can be described as how Camden describes Ellie as "rough and sweet and sad."

I just read your review and I disagree with your last spoiler in you review -- I posted on your review. I think her actions as to Javier make so much much sense.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Is everyone here so far preferring Camden to Javier? I have a lot of friends who are big Javier fans but I can't seem to get behind him. He's too cray-cray for my taste.

I actually like that Ellie is scarred, both inside and out. Non-perfect characters interest me.

Off topic but has anyone else read The Devil's Metal (Devils, #1) by Karina Halle ? That was my second Halle book. It reminds me of the movie Almost Famous.

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments I really like Javier, I see his appeal but prefer Camden. I prefer the description of how Javier looks but I don't like highly refined men and men in to such high levels of control -- nor do I like sociopaths. ;)

message 16: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments In On Every Street, I liked Javier... until the end. That completely colored my opinion of him going into Sins & Needles. But even without that pre-conception, I doubt I'd have been able to fall for Javier. As you said, he's cray-cray.

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments I think reading On Every Street is important to fully understand Sins & Needles, but I would recommend reading On Every Street after Sins & Needles. I really liked their relationship, I wouldn't choose Javier for myself but I liked THEM together. I saw the appeal of them together and why she ws head over heels in love. I felt her pain too at the end of the novella.

Karina Halle is really good at writing characters and writing them to live in situations not normally written about. I love th at. I love the gritty darkness and unredeemable quality of her characters.

message 18: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments I agree about Karina Halle - well said, Regina.

I'm still not done with Sins & Needles... I'm torn about whether to read OES before or after. I thought it provided me some insight into Ellie and her history, as well as insight into Javier, when he shows up.

Maybe the whole Team Javier stuff started as a result of OES. Because I can see his appeal... while I was wary of him, I liked them together. Until I didn't, closer to the end, when it was clear that (view spoiler)

message 19: by Tellulah (new)

Tellulah Darling (tellulahdarling) Regina wrote: "I see you didn't lke the book much though, I loved it. Maybe 4.5 stars, definitely over 4. I rounded it up for originality and character development. I think the book can be described as how Cam..."

Miss a day and there are so many comments to catch up on! :)

Just read it your comment about my final spoiler. I totally see where you're coming from - especially in regards to (view spoiler). Still bump on fact though that (view spoiler)

Shanna (shannabanana87) | 40 comments Tellulah wrote: "Regina wrote: "I see you didn't lke the book much though, I loved it. Maybe 4.5 stars, definitely over 4. I rounded it up for originality and character development. I think the book can be descr..."

I never thought about (view spoiler)

Shanna (shannabanana87) | 40 comments Regina wrote: "I think reading On Every Street is important to fully understand Sins & Needles, but I would recommend reading On Every Street after Sins & Needles. I really liked their relationship, I wouldn't c..."

I agree with Regina on the fact that I would read S&N before On Every Street. Regina (view spoiler)

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Shanna I think he loves her in his own limited and messed up way. I truly believe he sees her as his angel.

Shanna (shannabanana87) | 40 comments Regina wrote: "Shanna I think he loves her in his own limited and messed up way. I truly believe he sees her as his angel."

Regina (view spoiler)

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments I agree it is NOT (view spoiler)

Shanna (shannabanana87) | 40 comments Regina wrote: "I agree it is NOT [spoilers removed]"

Ok good so its not just me. I can't wait for Shooting Scars!

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Me neither!

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 424 comments I just finished Sins & Needles - loved it and agree with Regina's description of Halle's style of writing, putting into words how I feel :) Now I need to read the novella to see what people are saying about Javier because I think he's scary as hell so far. August can't come fast enough for book #2!!

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Lol!! I agree completely! I can't wait until August and he is freaking scary.

message 29: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 424 comments Does anybody know why this series is called The Artists Trilogy? I know it means 3 books plus a few short stories, if we're lucky. But who are the Artists? Is that another name for Grifters?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Welcome to the group Cristy. :)

message 31: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 424 comments Thank you Cristy! That makes sense (slapping my head).

message 32: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Just finished. Wow. That's about all I can say right now.

Regina knows that this isn't my kind of book... not really. And yet, Karina Halle writes it in such a way that once I picked it back up again, I just couldn't put it down.

Honestly, I can't say I *like* the book, because I don't really like what happens and why. But I am compelled by it. And I *will* read the next one. But I'll probably need the break just to be able to pick it up.

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Lori I do agree with you. I hate stealing, I hate manipulating. I hate murder. But the way the story is told is so compelling. I cannot wait until Shooting Scars is released. According to the pre-reviews, I think people fall completely for Javier.

message 34: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 424 comments Really? Javier still scares me. (view spoiler) That's what I love about Halle's writing - making these shady-type characters almost likable. Sometimes, relatable. And definitely, compelling.

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Lisa, I agree with you.

message 36: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Yeah... no. I might have fallen for him a little bit with Ellie in "On Every Street", but I was done with him long before she was.

I cannot believe there's even a Team Javier. (view spoiler)

Regina, you are so right. Karina Halle's way of telling a story is addicting, even if I'm not a fan of the characters or the story. There's something about the way she crafts and spins these impossible things into a story-worm: something you can't get out of your head. I find myself having to look-up all the songs that are mentioned and sample them - LOL!

Regina (reginar) | 1526 comments Yes yes yes Lori! I don't find psycopaths or controlling men attractive. I also don't find ultra suave men attractive. I am partial to mexican men (see my husband *wink*) but not men like Javier. Watch me eat my words with Shooting Scars!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Lori, that's exactly how I feel. I think we're supposed to want to read his character, but I never felt like I was meant to "have to" like him.

Cristy, who knows? I guess we'll find out in book 2!

message 39: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Okay, I'm 14% into this! So far it's all good. Nothing to report yet. Other than Camden sounds pretty sexy.

message 40: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Camden is damn sexy... i'm 63% in. (view spoiler) Can you tell i'm enjoying the read.

message 41: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (lorimcd) | 610 comments Glad you're enjoying it. I had a tough time getting into it, probably because I read "On Every Street" first.

It's definitely grittier and harsher (lifestyle) than I like to read; but it's compelling. And I was definitely drawn to Ellie and Camden. Trying to get through all their layers to figure it all out. But that's the beauty of this series (and Karina Halle's strength): the characters don't necessarily know themselves or their layers, either.

I appreciated the book a lot more when I got to the end and could breathe again. I think I stopped breathing about 1/2 way in...

message 42: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 424 comments I'm glad that I read your suggestion, Lori, about reading Sins first before the prequel, Every Street (I think it was you who suggested it). It did help me like both books better.

message 43: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments Finished!! It was really good!

message 44: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments Loved it! Team Camden all the way :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Definitely Camden!

message 46: by Wendy F, Bibliophile (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 1150 comments oh yeah, Camden.

message 47: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 1688 comments He's so freakin' hot... good heavens.

message 48: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa | 424 comments Yep, ditto! Javier is just too freakin' scary to me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 1055 comments Going to be moving this to the contemporary romance folder, since I'm not sure where else to put it. There is a suspense element, but I'm not sure if the series would qualify as suspense.

The discussion will remain open and the topic will now be used for all books in the series, so please be mindful if you are past book 1 to make sure you don't spoil further plot points for those not as far along.