r/books discussion

Open Discussion > Magazines- a dying breed?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) I feel like magazines may be a dying media, am I alone in thinking this? Does anyone here get a monthly magazine subscription still? What is it? Do you actually read it or does it lay around until it gets shuffled in with a stack of papers and forgotten about?

message 2: by Megan, Mod (new)

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
I get all the fashion magazines as I like to draw both the fashions and the models.

Also I love Nat Geo - I am a tactile person so I like actually holding something. I do have an iPad with a lot of books on them but I still prefer printed books.

message 3: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 27 comments I used to subscribe, now I'll rent them from the library. I find they really inundate the reader with ads, I realize they need them for revenue but some magazines are really over the top.

I enjoy any cooking magazines, as well as magazines like The Walrus (The Sun is the American equivalent I would say which is also good!)

message 4: by John L, Mod (new)

John L (philipblake) | 103 comments Mod
Gah. I never saw this thread. I got the odd gaming magazine, but that was like 3 years ago now. It is hard for me to see the appeal when articles published online are readily available and (sort of) free.

I may eventually be persuaded to pick up a magazine one day, but I've yet to buy one as of yet.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments Fun story, about a year ago, I started getting Cat Fancy magazine, and I have no idea who is sending it to me. I thought maybe it was a trial thing for a few months that I accidentally signed up for, but one year later, still coming. I even started getting notices that my subscription was almost up, but that stopped and the magazines continue...

message 6: by John L, Mod (new)

John L (philipblake) | 103 comments Mod
Hahaha. That reminds me of the cat facts prank on reddit. Someone is going to some extreme lengths to inform you of cats.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments Haha I know! I mean, I have two cats, and I am sort of a crazy cat lady........ and I do read the magazines.... but still :P

message 8: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
Ugh I commented using the goodreads app and guess it never posted >_>

@Jennifer, do you actually read Cat Fancy? Do you enjoy your subscription. Do you find it any different from any articles online? xD HA.

I actually won a subscription not too long ago for Elle Canada. Lovely. I don't even read magazines and here I am winning it. Then along with that, surprise another magazine subscription won for Canadian Living. I found that magazine a bit more useful that I peaked in but only for the recipes. Yet I feel like I can look those up.

I believe that printed magazines will be around for awhile longer but I feel an expiration date coming on.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 185 comments Annie, I do usually read it, but if it didn't magically show up, I would never subscribe. The internet is full of cats, after all...

message 10: by Megan, Mod (new)

I hope that printed magazines don't fall by the wayside...I actually love them. I won a Vogue subscription which helps me with my designing for knitwear. I like the tactile way of actually holding the magazine and looking through it. The same way I like printed books.

message 11: by Hayley (last edited Mar 22, 2014 06:43AM) (new)

Hayley | 27 comments Megan; I agree! Sometimes you just want the real deal in your hands.... We spend enough time looking at screens as it is! It's nice to take a break once in awhile.

I forgot to mention I LoVE National Geographic... And a digital copy of that would just not compare.

message 12: by Megan, Mod (new)

I agree with you Hayley! Nat Geo in digital does not compare! Besides what would I have done for school projects without all of those free maps? hahahaha...

I still have loads of the magazines that I have moved with me from place to place...and it is fun to see how much the world has changed with the maps. Almost scary in fact! And the photography is amazing. I love to read the articles on both the marine life and the activities of the brain.

I will always love actual magazines. I go for a monthly iv infusion for my MS and having a magazine or two to read while I am there helps to pass the time. An iPad ore reader would just not be the same.

message 13: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 27 comments Megan you bring up a good point! National geographics, and all magazine for that matter, are great for collages, scrap booking and school projects!

I have the Nat Geo from 1969 detailing the moon walk- it's great to flip through! And looking at the old ads are fun too.