What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's picture book: A village, cats, ice skating when work was done

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments I read this when I was a kid, so at least 25 years ago. Most of the pictures were black and white, with just a bit of color here and there. It was a little European village in the wintertime, and all the girls wore sort of layered dresses - Dutch, maybe? The main girl had to finish her chores and then she could go ice skating. Seems also that a cat figured in the story somewhere, but maybe not.

I've checked out A Day on Skates and that's not it.

message 2: by Danielle (last edited Jun 01, 2013 11:20AM) (new)

Danielle | 152 comments Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
I haven't read it but it is set in Holland and as the name implies involves ice skating. There are also some other versions of the story such as Hans Brinker or Hans Brinker Silver Skates (I know this one has black and white illustrations.)

message 3: by Jaina (new)

Jaina Rose (ireadtilldawn) | 52 comments Yes, I was going to suggest Hans Brinker, also. I've never read it but I saw the movie some time ago.

message 4: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments It's definitely not Hans Brinker, I should have mentioned that I already checked that one, too. Thanks, though! A girl is the main character and its a picture book - only a sentence in each page at most.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rgraham) This probably isn't it since there are too many words but maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Skates-Hild...

message 6: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Nope. That one popped up a lot when I was googling. Thanks, though.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe it's a foreign book? I couldn't find it on Amazon.

message 8: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Possible. Honestly I don't remember the text much, I must have been very young. I remember the pictures very clearly.

message 9: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Soot keeps popping into my head when I think about it. I know it was a little village covered in snow, but it seems like part of her chores had to do with soot or the chimney.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39824 comments Mod
Bobbi, are you still looking for this book?

Cheryl struggles to catch up (cherylllr) Too bad, I'll give it one last chance bump, next mod move to Abandoned.

message 12: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Never did find this book and didn't see the question about whether I was still looking for it, sorry.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Dec 10, 2016 03:46PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 39824 comments Mod
No problem. We'll move this out of Abandoned and into Unsolved and hopefully some fresh eyes will see it.

message 14: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Thanks! Haven't been back to group in a while.

message 15: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Bump

message 16: by Kris (last edited Jul 16, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

Kris | 35667 comments Mod
Bobbi, have you tried searching on Worldcat.org? It's great for old children's books. For example:

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch > Keywords: illustrations skating village (... girl black white cat winter chores?) | 1960 - 1993 (?) | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

message 17: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Yes, nothing in the combinations I’ve tried.

message 18: by Bobbi (new)

message 19: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20124 comments Children of the Northlights?

Or maybe something by Astrid Lindgren? She did write picture books about a village.

message 20: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Children of the Northlights doesn’t look like it from the cover, but thanks. I’ve looked at most of Astrid Lindgren’s too, but maybe I’ll check again.

message 21: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20124 comments Did it seem like it was set in the 19th century? I'm assuming so because you mentioned layered dresses.

message 22: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Could have even been earlier. Hard to tell with the setting.

message 24: by Bobbi (new)

Bobbi (blafferty) | 76 comments Thanks for the effort! None of these looks like the one I remember.

message 25: by Bobbi (new)