Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > updated book cover

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.R. (new)

C.R. Cummings (cheriecummings) | 2 comments I asked for 2 of my books to be updated with the new covers and it looks like they were added, except the old covers are the ones showing in all searches. To top it off now the old covers of 2 other of my books are now the main cover. Is there no way for the newest versions of my covers to be displayed first and the old ones to the 'alternative covers'? It would be nice if the books matched how they are sold on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Killing my sales guys...help

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22716 comments C.R. you as the author are in control of which books are shown as the default. Librarians cannot do this.

See these instructions:

Author FAQ

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Jun 01, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) C.R. wrote: "2 of my other...It would be nice if the books matched how they are sold on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Killing my sales guys...help..."

If a primary/default/featured edition is not set by the author, goodreads uses the most popular edition. As members shelve, read, rate and review different editions—which edition becomes more popular (thereby showing in search, etc) with its corresponding bookcover will change. Not something the librarians can change or fix for you. That's why your two other books keep changing which cover shows in search.

Think of Goodreads as a library or archive, with zero interest in which edition is for sale. Goodreads will match the product pages on amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other bookseller sites only if goodreads ever has product pages. Goodreads has book data pages instead of product pages. So if an edition was ever in print, it gets cataloged here [and members who shelve a particular edition can be confident that no one will vandalize their shelves just because their edition not currently available for sale. A reader's book catalog is as safe here as out of print hardcovers are on their bookshelves at home; if reprinted with a new cover, no publisher or author (hopefully) goes out to the book reader's home and steals the old book with the no longer available cover off the bookshelf and goodreads doesn't let them steal back books from member shelves here either.)]