Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
This topic is about Shiver
Series Discussions > The Wolves of Mercy Falls - Maggie Stiefvater

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments This is the official place to chat about Maggie Stiefvater's The Wolves of Mercy Falls series.

Spoilers:

Yep, reminding you guys to utilize the power of (view spoiler) tags. Remember some people have not even read book 1 or 2, or 3, or . . . you get the picture. Please don't spoil things for other readers.

If you don't know how to use the spoiler tags ask. Or click on the (some html is ok) on the upper right corner of the comment box.

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Book 1, Shiver, is up for one of our Whatever reads for the month of June! Enjoy!

What do you think of the weather's role in the werewolves? Does it work for you, or do you prefer the classic moon connection for a werewolf's change?

message 3: by Lorelle (new) - added it

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 46 comments got mine ready to go ! Ill start next week :)

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Sounds great! Hope you enjoy.

Shahd (shahdashraf) I really didn't like this book, the characters were very terrible and the plot was lame. the writing however was okay

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments This one gave me mixed feeling. The writing was very beautiful at times and I loved the idea of the (view spoiler)

Katarina Pisarova | 60 comments I liked this one, but not enough to be curious about the next one in the series. I mean, i will probably continue with it but only when i dont have anything more appealing on the shelf :)

Amanda  B Gillespie (amanda_shocknawebookblogger) | 14 comments I read it and read half of the second one but quickly lost interest

Natalie I read the first book in this series and I liked it, becouse it's just a good paranormal romance, but still nothing more. I don't know if should continue it, but I'll probably do it, when I have some free time.

Sadie Forsythe | 36 comments I got lucky and picked up a hard back at the used bookstore for next to nothing. Gotta love that. It will be my next read.

Kelly (kellyquintana) I loved this book havent gotten around to the next once though

message 12: by Lorelle (last edited Jun 02, 2013 11:54PM) (new) - added it

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 46 comments I'm 35 % in and I'm surprised that I can't put it down. (view spoiler) Sam is so vulnerable and sweet. It's a refreshing change from all the alpha behaviour you normally see with shifter books.

message 13: by Lorelle (new) - added it

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 46 comments 75% starting to drag a little. The shine is wearing off a tiny bit. (view spoiler)

Momreadstoomuch | 35 comments I did this one as a audiobook. It was slow and I kinda dislike teen angst, but this was a cool spin on the werewolf genre.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Lorelle wrote: "75% starting to drag a little. The shine is wearing off a tiny bit. [spoilers removed]"

Yeah the POV change takes a bit.

message 16: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen | 2 comments I haven't heard about Raven boys..since folks seem a bit ambivalent about The Wolves of Mercy Falls..maybe I should check that out instead...

message 17: by Sadie (last edited Jun 04, 2013 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sadie Forsythe | 36 comments Just finished Ch. 33. It's bitter-sweet. I can appreciate that, but it seems to have a lot of purple prose. I think it's meant to give it a lyrical feel since Sam liked to write music, but I could do without quite so many similes. Shera's right, the POV changes a lot.

Finished it now, don't know that I have anything to add to my previous post though.

Sandra This is one of those hard books to review. There really wasn't much that jumps out as bad per se, and I did end up sort of liking it, it just didn't do all that much for me. The main couple was cute, and actually a LOT of the book was them just being together. In some ways this was nice, because I didn't really care much about the rest of the plot (I found the whole Jack situation annoying and kind of boring), but I also felt as if there SHOULD have been SOME action.

My Main issues with the plot:

1.) So it's always refreshing when you find a new twist on an old and frequently done mythos, however... I feel it should be explained in some way and it can't just be expected that we will accept it as fact. For example, for some reason they turn into wolves all winter and human all summer. OK, even though that's kind of random because it's not like wolves are particularly winter animals. But why? I know the characters also don't understand this, and maybe it will be explained eventually, but as the main basis for the story I think they at least need to speculate for us.

2.) The main argument to the whole 'winter-wolf-thing' is, DUH, move somewhere warm! I felt this was a valid hole and the author disproved it with one nonchalant sentence because it was inconvenient to her story. No, you're going to have work a little harder than that.

3.) As I said, not really much action.

4.) Pretty predictable. All the parts that I expect were supposed to be twists were more like "OK yeah I know, what else?"

5.) Not really a plot thing, but I found Sam's random attempts at writing deep song lyrics mid-thought kind of lame.

As I said I'm not super invested in this one, I was a little interested to see where the story would go from there when I initially read this. Since then though I only remember thinking negative things about this so I doubt I'll continue.

Sadie Forsythe | 36 comments Sandra wrote: "This is one of those hard books to review. There really wasn't much that jumps out as bad per se, and I did end up sort of liking it, it just didn't do all that much for me. The main couple was c..."

I completely agree on all point, but especially #5. I also found it disruptive to the flow of whatever passage it was in. Then I stopped and wondered how I would react to that if I was an emo-loving 15 year old and decided I just was no longer in the demographic to appreciate it.

But I also thought that it conflicted with the whole 'lose your ability to think in words as a wolf' spiel. It was mentioned more than once that the wolves don't think in words, but Sam also suggests that he'd composed dozens of songs about Grace while watching her.

message 20: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Jun 05, 2013 08:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Sandra, number 5 was a issue for me too. I kept laughing about what he wrote.

Sandra They were just SO CHEESY!

message 22: by Lorelle (new) - added it

Lorelle (lozza2407) | 46 comments I forgot to come back when id finished. It was a tough one. I found it really sweet, but yeah it focusing around the 2 of them and them shutting out the world got up my nose about half way through. I rounded up to 4 as it was a new take on werewolves. I dont know that I would rush for the 2nd one. Im not sure what could hold my interest now? The wolves as a pack as such seemed pretty lackluster, but this might be just as we are seeing them through Sams eyes where he doesnt find anything about them magical.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments I also remember strongly disliking her parents, it was like they were trying to kill her. I mean (view spoiler) It really creeped me out.

Sadie Forsythe | 36 comments Lorelle wrote: " I rounded up to 4 as it was a new take on werewolves. I dont know that I would rush for the 2nd one. Im not sure what could hold my interest now? "

I'm apparently all about agreeing with people lately. This is pretty much my exact sentiment. If I picked up a free copy somewhere I might give it a read, but I'm in no hurry for it and not really interested in spending $$ for it. I'm not put out to have read this one though.

Jojobean I'm sorry but I found Shiver extremely boring. Nothing happens in the book. And I find it creepy that Grace fell in love with a wolf BEFORE she knew he was a werewolf. Bestiality anyone? Eww

Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shiver (other topics)
Linger (other topics)
Forever (other topics)