Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

The Massive, Vol. 1: Black Pacific
This topic is about The Massive, Vol. 1
Group Monthly Discussions > Optional Book Club Discussion: The Massive, Vol. 1: Black Pacific by Brian Wood - June 2013 (may contain spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone. There are three books tied for second place for optional book discussion for the month of June.

This is the topic for our Optional Book Club Discussion for June 2013, The Massive, Vol. 1: Black Pacific by Brian Wood.

The discussion will occur during this whole month of June.

If your post will contain spoilers, then please type SPOILERS in capital letters at the top of your post (or use the html code for spoilers) so that members who are still reading or have not yet read the book can avoid critical details that can spoil their reading.

Enjoy our optional book club discussion everyone.

Jeremy (jeremyhoover) Loved issue #1.

Jeremy (jeremyhoover) This collection quickly became one of my favorites. I liked this so much I went out and bought the single issues to get caught up and added it to my pull list.

I really like the "post-Crash" setting. The search for the elusive Massive is an excellent meta-arc, while the smaller arcs enhance the story and characterization.

What did others think?

Jamie Lovett (jamielovett) | 17 comments Loved this, as I love just about all of Brian Wood's work. He does a great job of creating a fascinating near future setting with big issues, but telling a very personal, character focused story. And the art from both Donaldson and Brown is beautiful.

If you liked this, you should go read DMZ, Vol. 1: On the Ground. The Massive is Wood's follow up to that series and they're very similar in tone and style.

message 5: by Ava (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ava Brillat (ava_brillat) | 14 comments I'm late to the party but I wanted to say that I enjoyed how this gn created the feeling of a post-apocalyptic world without actually giving a solid reason why everything is screwed up. I think in post-apocalyptic literature, it is easy to get caught up in the details of the apocalypse/society downfall without necessarily touching on anything important, ie why we value what we value in a society. I thought the Massive did a great job on focusing on using the situation as way to highlight what the characters feel is important and illustrating how the characters relate to each other. Graphically, I loved the way the colors were used to create a mood. This is definitely not something I would have read on my own but I totally enjoyed it! Glad I'm part of this group- y'all are expanding my horizons!