Life After Life (Todd Family, #1)
This topic is about Life After Life
Fiction > June - Life After Life

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Discuss Life After Life!

Originally I wasn't going to read this just yet, I was gonna wait to see what y'all thought, but now I've changed my mind and am trying to finish up one of my other books asap rn so I can start this tomorrow :)

Sorry I noticed I posted this thread twice, I removed the one that was in the wrong folder oop sorry Marie

Chantaal Ooh, I've been meaning to read this one for a while, yay!

message 5: by Samantha A (new) - added it

Samantha A I'll have to get this from the library, it looked good.. Hopefully the wait list isn't too long!

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
I'm going to start today or tomorrow. I haven't read anything of hers since Case Histories, which I LOVED, so I'm excited for this one.

I've only just started but I definitely am like the prose so far, it's very readable but still poetic and I love the humorous asides. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Brittney | 7 comments I'm going to start this tonight!

message 9: by Samah (new)

Samah Majadla | 6 comments I started this a few days ago, and I'm liking it so far, but does anyone else feel like its a little slow? I'm about halfway through, and I'm pretty surprised that she has enough content to be able to fill up another half. Not that it isn't interesting! I'm just curious.

message 10: by Asia (new) - added it

Asia (asia_k) | 8 comments I like the way it's written, but it's very slow.I guess I thought it's going to be a little different based on premise of this book.

Emily Skidmore | 13 comments I just started this one on my commute home last night. So far I like the way it's written, but I agree with everyone when they say it seems a bit slow. I enjoy reading it, but if I set it down, there's nothing really drawing me back into reading more. I am hoping that as I get further in it'll become more of an exciting read.

message 12: by Wigs (new) - rated it 4 stars

exactly lol i've been at 6% on my kindle for like 2 weeks even though I liked it I haven't picked it up in a while oop

message 13: by Asia (new) - added it

Asia (asia_k) | 8 comments At this point I just wish she would die and never reborn again lol
I'm taking a break from it (I never thought I would say this, but thank god I've got a paper to write.)

Brittney | 7 comments It's slow, I agree. Twice now I've sat down and thought, I'm going to read...nah I'll just go to sleep. It took a few deaths for me to get the hang of that too.

message 15: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi E | 37 comments So slow. So. Slow.

Brittney | 7 comments I'm about 41% through and I'm starting to wonder if this book is really going anywhere. (view spoiler)

message 17: by Wigs (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm a little farther, I'm like 12% now. The writing is cute I do like it but yea I dunno.

The opening btw, the very first like two pages felt like Inglorious Basterds and I wonder if that's where it's going but so far I'm still in the childhood parts, I dunno if it's going to stay that way for a long time.

message 18: by Emily (last edited Jun 21, 2013 05:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily Skidmore | 13 comments Okay, I'm about 55% through it now. It picks up a bit about 30% in, which is good.

I'm finding myself getting names mixed up. There are a lot of characters, and because Ursula goes back and restarts, the characters kind of vary in the timelines. I constantly have to pause when a name is brought up and be like, "Who is Jimmy again?"

(view spoiler)

Also, I agree with Brittney; I really am wondering if the book will ever go anywhere. I don't see how it could have an end. Maybe she gets to stay dead when she dies of boring old age?

message 19: by Heather (last edited Jun 24, 2013 12:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Heather (dangerousbeans) Emily wrote: "I constantly have to pause when a name is brought up and be like, "Who is Jimmy again?""

He threw me when he first popped up too. I kept thinking, "was there a Jimmy? Should I know who this is?"

I'm at 44% right now, and it's kinda picking up a bit for me now, but it still feels slow somehow. I do really love the way it's written though, that alone is making me consider buying it at some point.

Denisse | 16 comments I finished this book last night, and apart from 2 chapters near the end of the book, I quite enjoyed all the what ifs and the way her lives tangled at some point.

message 21: by Emily (last edited Jun 28, 2013 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily Skidmore | 13 comments I finished reading this on my commute in to work this morning, but I don't feel like I'm done. I feel like I am just going to pick it back up on the commute home and continue where I left off. Overall I quite liked the book. It was well-written and the concept was interesting. I was worried that reading the same scene (such as the birth scene) over and over again would become really tedious, but the author did a really good job showing it from other perspectives which made it interesting every time.

I also did not like the last couple of chapters, but that was mainly because I found them kind of confusing. (view spoiler)

message 22: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished last night. I didn't understand the last 3 chapters at all. I read them a few times, but I'm still clueless.

message 23: by Asia (new) - added it

Asia (asia_k) | 8 comments But you still liked it? I still have 139 pages to read and I can't force myself to.

message 24: by Jess (last edited Aug 13, 2013 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Asia wrote: "But you still liked it? I still have 139 pages to read and I can't force myself to."

I did. I can't really explain why... I've been thinking a lot about it so I can write my review. I think the main thing that kept me going was Pamela and Teddy. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Wigs (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just finished this and I totally agree with the other people I wish I understood it more. Like what is exactly the point of her doing her final act if it doesn't actually stick. Like in that reality it might have prevented war, but if she has to keep going over and over why bother it's like Groundhog's Day. She could do anything and it doesn't seem to matter.

I did find it odd that events that weren't caused by her were changed (like at the end Hugh being able to come home before she was born)

Though I did get chills at that climactic sort of part when she (view spoiler)

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Emily wrote: "I finished reading this on my commute in to work this morning, but I don't feel like I'm done. I feel like I am just going to pick it back up on the commute home and continue where I left off. Ov..."

Yes, that "practice makes perfect" part really confused me. Did Sylvie know all along?

Lynda (lyndalovelee) How do I hide spoilers?

I just finished this book and it was really slow and confusing in the beginning... I almost gave up reading.

I was able to figure out the opening scene half way into the book...

The scenes with the bombings stood out the most to me. They were very illustrative and put me in a place where I've never been or couldn't even begin to try and imagine.

message 28: by Jess (last edited Oct 22, 2013 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynda wrote: "How do I hide spoilers?

I just finished this book and it was really slow and confusing in the beginning... I almost gave up reading.

I was able to figure out the opening scene half way into the b..."

The bombings were my favorite parts too.

You do spoilers by using the code spoiler: <_spoiler>Your text here<_/spoiler> - remove the underscores.
You can also click on the "some html is ok" link at the top of your comment box and copy the html from there.

Lynda (lyndalovelee) Jessica wrote: "Lynda wrote: "How do I hide spoilers?

I was able to figure out the opening scene half ..."

Thanks, Jessica!