ONTD Book Club discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Classics > June - The Handmaid's Tale

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Discuss The Handmaid's Tale!

message 2: by Ennta (new)

Ennta | 3 comments One of my faves! Just found a hardcover copy at a library book fair this morning for my collection.

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure I have a paperback of this one somewhere in my books, but until I unpack them, I'm going to have to wait. :{

I read this last fall so I won't be up in this thread that much but I do want to see what people have to say about it!

Dionna | 7 comments I have this on Nook now. First read it eons ago.

message 6: by Wigs (last edited Jun 03, 2013 10:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

dub con?

edit: oh okay dubious consent I hadn't heard that abreev before

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
MNLO wrote: "My kink meme time is clearly showing. Non-con is in there as well, aka (")cute(") name for rape."

Ugh. That's still not all that "cute." :|

Dionna | 7 comments Jessica wrote: "MNLO wrote: "My kink meme time is clearly showing. Non-con is in there as well, aka (")cute(") name for rape."

Ugh. That's still not all that "cute." :|"

Ditto!

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments MNLO wrote: "My kink meme time is clearly showing. Non-con is in there as well, aka (")cute(") name for rape."

My favorite is "forced seduction". Because that makes it better.

message 10: by Ovie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ovie (ovierose) | 2 comments I loved the ending. It left a lot for us to draw our own conclusions. The addendium at the end was interesting, as well.

Brittney | 7 comments One of my favorites books of all time.

Denisse | 16 comments It ended up making me feel really upset about how everything ended up being in that society and argh.

Dionna | 7 comments Does anyone see any parallels to the Republic of Gilead and the current GOP/Teabaggers in the US politics?

Denisse | 16 comments Dionna wrote: "Does anyone see any parallels to the Republic of Gilead and the current GOP/Teabaggers in the US politics?"

Yeah, that is basically what made me so upset. I know it was supposed to show what happened to Iran after the revolution but it felt a lot of how the USA would end up being if the teabaggers get their way.

message 15: by Mia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments I want to buy people this book now, because I feel like a lot of recent American legislation is trying to make this a reality. CREEPY AS HELL, but I can believe it.

Interesting to note I read this book for the first time in my "cyberpunk" class. I think it tends to read as the feminist parallel to 1984.