Fantasy Fanatics discussion

Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
This topic is about Rise of Empire
June 2013 - Rise of Empire > Rise of Empire - Book 4 - Chapters 19-26 (End)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (last edited May 31, 2013 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristina (spaz_girl) Here is where we can discuss Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan, book 4, chapters 19-26 or any other area of this book.

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Well that was an amazing book! Just so fast paced and there was never dull moment. Just love all these characters.I just loved the further development of Hadrian and Royce! The only issue is with Arista she seems to becoming the Just do it all female archetype. I also loved how this book really expanded the world in the first book it seemed like much of a smaller but this volume brought the whole world to life!

That damn Merrick is so smart. I want to learn more about his past relationship with Royce. i just loved the whole sailing aspect of book 4(the emerald storm). That ending makes me want to pick the Heir of Novron RIGHT KNOW! Cant wait to start it! It should be AWESOME!

Daniela (danielapereira) | 23 comments I thought that was a great ending for a great book. I actually liked Arista a lot in the entire book. I liked that she is becoming this powerful wizard, although she still takes some hasty decisions. And it annoyed me that she didn't even consider taking Thrace with her when she went to rescue Gaunt. I can't WAIT for Royce and Merrick to finally meet again. Now that is going to be a fun fight.

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Ya the merrici and royce meeting should be epic! Can't wait!

message 5: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) I loved this book and can't wait for the next.

I agree about the issue being Arista. She seems to "fall in love" with everyone and then her love interest gets conveniently killed off. I think its to save her for Hadrian. I adore Thrace though (or Modina)! I hope she can overcome her troubles and become the old Thrace we love!

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments So I finished this book the other day. Loving this so far! Yeah, I totally agree about Arista. Her falling in love with everyone who comes along right before they die is a little annoying and already getting old, but it is obvious to me I think that she will end up with Hadrian or whatever.

Looking forward to a confrontation between Merrick and Royce!

To be honest as well, I didn't particularly love Emerald Storm. It just didn't really seem to do much or go anywhere and I'm still a little confused about what it was for and stuff...

Also: Michael J. Sullivan totally wrote a reply on my reviews for this and Theft of Swords. Love it when authors respond and comment and interact with readers :)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Finished last night.

So sad about Hilfred. I have to disagree with you Becky. She flat out admits that she doesn't love Hilfred (to herself anyways), but she is willing to marry him because she knows he loves her and will always be there for her and he has already sacrificed so much for her. I think you're right though, I think she'll end up with Hadrian. Admittedly though, I am confused about what she saw in the other guy. Was it just because he showed an interest?

I love when authors are accessible too. =)

Becky (beaktastic) | 86 comments Yeah, I don't really get the whole Emery thing. It just sort of popped out of nowhere and then he died and the story went away again. I thin it was probably just that he was the first (or one of the first anyway) guys to show an actual interest in her. I mean, Hilfred loved her too but she didn't realise at that point.

And yeah, I love it when authors interact with their readers and stuff :)

Drake (drake2484) I loved the edition of Emery. At first I was confused because I felt the same way as you guys, "really? She fell in 'love' again? But then as the book goes on I realized that her relationships and the emotions that went with them really helped develop her as a character. With Emery we realized she was starving for a real relationship with somebody. Nobody was really close to her and to be looked at as more than just a witch or princess was something she really hadnt felt before. So she thought she was in love.

I get that it could seem over the top but I really think it helped develop her.

Kristina (spaz_girl) Drake wrote: "I loved the edition of Emery. At first I was confused because I felt the same way as you guys, "really? She fell in 'love' again? But then as the book goes on I realized that her relationships and ..."

I could see that.

message 11: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 84 comments Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed following along with your comments. I didn't want to "butt in" and possibly mess up the interactions - but I did enjoy reading them.