Fantasy Fanatics discussion

Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
This topic is about Rise of Empire
June 2013 - Rise of Empire > Rise of Empire - Book 3 - Chapters 1-5

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristina (spaz_girl) Here is where we can discuss Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan, book 3, chapters 1-5.
DO NOT post any spoilers from further along in the book, this is just for book 3, chapters 1-5.

Kristina (spaz_girl) I really hate that I haven't had time to start this yet. Moving this month, crazy deadlines at work this week. UGH! Looking forward to starting it early next week though.

message 3: by Casey (new) - added it

Casey Stewart (skelanimalsluv) | 25 comments I started The Rithmatist instead of this and as much as I'm liking that book, I think I'm going to start Rise of Empire tonight too. I miss me some Royce and Hadrian.

Daniela (danielapereira) | 23 comments So far I LOVE it! The start of the book is great and I'm finding it really hard to put the book down. Some very interesting surprises about the empress and I must say I like Arista very much now.

message 5: by Casey (new) - added it

Casey Stewart (skelanimalsluv) | 25 comments Well then that seals it....I'm starting tonight as soon as I get home! Thanks Daniela :)

Kristina (spaz_girl) Daniela wrote: "So far I LOVE it! The start of the book is great and I'm finding it really hard to put the book down. Some very interesting surprises about the empress and I must say I like Arista very much now."

Good to know! I am so bogged down with work this month so far that I've only been able to read one or two chapters of any given book a day. It's starting to stress me out. Looking forward to picking this up early next week though once all these invoices are due.

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
I loved it from the beginning I just lloed how started off showing how Modina(Thrace) is in such bad condition. She is still recovering from the end of the last book. It seems like her situation just got even worse than the last book.

In chapter 2 and 4 we return to the Hadrian and Royce storyling. Hadrian is basicallly in like mid life crisis. He is questioning whether he should quit Riyria, He wants do somwthing more noble and heroic (what else you expect from the guardian of the heir althogh he doesnt know it) It is the big secret the Royce is keeping from. We also get a little insight into Royce and Gwen relationship. It seems like and interesting relationship along with the fact that Gwen is some sort of seer or fortune teller?

Chapter 3 Is basically where Arista has failed to convince anybody to join Melangerin their fight against the empire. It basically feels like everything is falling apart. the whole mood of the chapter was pretty down basically it feels like the empire has won and everything is falling apart and Arista is having a difficult time gaining respect of the nobles. Alric also does not see mto respect her. It also seems like the nobles do not have alot respect of Alric Either its seems like count Pickering is the respected one.

What did you guys think?

James Lee (j4m35r083r7l33) I actually sent an email to the author bemoaning my intense lack of sleep thanks to this book of his. I really like how things start off, with Royce still keeping his secret .. well, secret. Hadrian has had it with having to lie and steal from others. I like how he wants to be the good guy, to fight and die for something he really believes in. Reminds me of me a lot. Alric isn't doing too well as the new King and Arista looks like she is going to get herself into some trouble (again) with Riyria along for the ride. Oh and I like the relationship between Royce and Gwen. I hope that we see it develop further along in the book.

The most surprising thing of all? I picked this book (and the author) for my June book read over a Brandon Sanderson book. Brandon Sanderson is one of my all-time favorite authors. If that doesn't say how much I love this series, I don't think anything will :)

Drake (drake2484) I finally finished the first volume and just started chapter 6 in the third book of this second volume.

I am really liking it. At this point in the series, the world is starting to feel more real and the characters more alive. Royce and Hadrian are two of the coolest fantasy characters out there and their dialogue continues to be entertaining.

I was thankful when Royce spilled the beans about Hadrian's possible identity (though Hadrian doesn't know yet). I would have gone nuts if I had to wait too long.

I feel bad for Thrace too. Sad stuff.

Shaad Zaman (shaadzaman) | 234 comments Mod
Yup I agree two of the coolest characters Hadrian and Royce! There dialogue just it makes it so much to read even with some of the predictable fantasy elements!

Kristina (spaz_girl) Finally! Work is starting to wind down and will be all neatly tucked away after next week. Slowly but surely I've managed to make it though this first section.

My only real question...
I thought at the end of Theft of Swords Arista declared that she was going to stay with Thrace and help her navigate the political world she accidentally found herself in. What happened there? I pick up this book and I can can think is, "Arista ditched her to that fate?!?" Am I mistaken in how Theft of Swords ending? Did I forget something? If I am not forgetting something, do they explain this later?

Drake (drake2484) Yeah she did say that in Theft of Swords, something about keeping an eye on her. They havent actually said anything about that yet, I just assumed the Church and the fact women don't have the most freedom got in the way. She's the empress now and needs to be at the imperial city. Arista has to be at Melengar. It just didn't work out for Arista to watch her I guess. I don't know.

Kristina (spaz_girl) Drake wrote: "Yeah she did say that in Theft of Swords, something about keeping an eye on her. They havent actually said anything about that yet, I just assumed the Church and the fact women don't have the most ..."

Yeah, that is what someone else suggested to, and I get that. I still (six chapters in) feel kind of betrayed by Arista though. I mean, she doesn't even seem to be thinking of Thrace or wondering if she is okay or anything. For someone so head strong in book one, I feel like she could have pushed her weight around a little bit or something.

Daniela (danielapereira) | 23 comments I also agree Arista had to go back to Melengar and fulfill her role as the Ambassador and couldn't stay with Thrace. Maybe she thought that the church would look after Thrace somehow, with she being the empress now. She probably has no idea what's happened to Thrace.

I really liked Thrace's character in Theft of Swords and I hope we will see the old Thrace again. I quite like Amilia though.