Best Teen Books discussion

Bone readlikes?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mahart) I need some collective reader's advisory brain power here: I'm a middle school librarian and I have a student who has been completely turned on to books by Jeff Smith's Bone series. But now he's done with it, and he's being EXTREMELY choosy about his next books. I need some good Bone readalikes, preferably other graphic novels as he's intimidated by longer books, but short novels would be helpful too. (I've already tried Smith's other comic, Shazam, and that struck out. Ditto Runaways, Shaman King, Beet, and the Spirited Away cinemanga. He doesn't really like manga, even though it's normally the easiest sell in the world with my kids. He kinda liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which, again, I could get a rock to read. I'm seeing how he does with Sardine in Outer Space by Emmanuel Guibert.)

I am looking for some more off-the-beaten-path suggestions and especially would like to here from Bone fans about other books they love, even if the connections are a little tenuous... I've already tried the standard faves in my library (Captain Underpants, Cirque du Freak, etc.) and have totally struck out. Thanks for the brain power!

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey Let's see...Owly is cute, but maybe too little. Did you try getting him into The Graveyard Book. If he likes mysteries he may like The First Escape which is part graphic novel, part novel. Here are some graphic novels that may be along the same lines or interesting. I've read and enjoyed them all:
Amulet Book 1 The Stone Keeper
Death, Jr.
Flight Volume One
Flight Explorer
Jellaby Vol. 1

There's another part graphic novel, part novel series that start with Travels of Thelonious.

Also, a popular series in middle school has been released in graphic novel form: Artemis Fowl The Graphic Novel

I started reading Artemis Fowl because I picked up this graphic novel randomly.

message 3: by Elaina (new)

Elaina (smalltownbeatnik) | 1 comments I'm a junior high library aide, and my life goal is to have relucant readers leave this school having become a lifelong reader...so I can sympathize with your situation! Some of my boys who liked Bone also like the Magic Pickle books. You might try that. Good luck!!