The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.13 - Deanna's task: Dirty Dancing

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 12, 2013 12:47PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
25.13 -- Deanna's task: Dirty Dancing
One of my all-time favorite summer movies is Dirty Dancing. It was released in 1987 and I fell in love with the music and the story of shy Baby falling for the bad boy dancer, Johnny. I have it on DVD and have watched it so many times that I have memorized the dialogue, but I still watch it whenever I find it showing on cable. It was the first film to sell over a million copies on video and its soundtrack has gone multiple platinum.

For this task, read 2 books from 2 different options below.

Option A – The Music: I love both the classics from the 50’s and 60’s and the original songs in this film.

Read a book with a word from one of the soundtrack's song titles in the book's title or subtitle (series titles are excluded): Dirty Dancing Soundtrack. The words "the", "in", "of", and "to" are excluded. Plurals, possessives, and singular variations are OK (such as eye for eyes or girl for girls, etc.), but no other variations are allowed. Required: Please identify the song title when you post.

Option B – The Cast: Since this was a low budget film, most of the cast members were relative unknowns before this movie. Like many others, I fell for Patrick Swayze when I saw him dancing and followed his career after. And which young girl didn’t wish that she were Jennifer Grey?

Read a book written by an author who has a first or last name that matches the name of a cast member or character. Cast member or character first names may be author's last name or vise versa. For example, Kelly or Charles could be an author's last name, Bishop could be a first name, etc. List of cast members and characters: Dirty Dancing Cast. Slight spelling variations (Gray/Grey, John/Jon/Johnny, etc.) are OK. Required: Please identify the cast member or character when you post.

Option C – The Dancing: *sigh* I wished that I could dance like that, but alas, I have two left feet.

Read a book that features dancing or dancers in it. It can be fiction or non-fiction and either focus mainly on dancing or feature a major scene that involves dance, such as a prom, a ball, the first dance or father/daughter dance at a wedding, attending the ballet, etc. The scene should actually take place at the dance with the characters engaged in the dance in some manner, it cannot simply be mentioned in passing. Some of these lists might help you find appropriate books (all regular SRC guidelines still apply): Best Books About Dance, Dancing, Dancers In Romance
Required: If the Goodreads description does not make it obvious, please explain how your book fits the task when you post.

Option D – The Setting: The film is set at a resort in the Catskill Mountains. The Catskill’s are in the SE part of New York State and is part of the same mountain ridge that extends into parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Read a book set in New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania. More than 50% of the book must be set in those states. Required: If the Goodreads description does not make it obvious, please identify the state when you post.

Option E – The Time Period: The film is set in the summer of 1963, which is not exactly before my time but I was only 4 years old then.

Read a book originally published or set in the 1960’s. Some of these lists might help you find appropriate books (all regular SRC guidelines still apply): Best Books of the Decade: 1960's, Best Novels about the 1960s, Classic Science Fiction 1960-1969

Required: State the options you used and any other required information when you post.

message 2: by Deanna (last edited Jun 04, 2013 07:00PM) (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Allowed:

Option A - Music

Three Girls and a Baby

Option B - Cast
First and last names of cast or characters can be mixed and matched, i.e. Kelly or Charles could be an author last name, Bishop could be a first name, etc.
Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voigt
Viaduct Child by Patrick Wood

Option C - Dancing
Six Weeks

Option D - Setting
Seven Locks: A Novel

Option E - Time Period

message 3: by Deanna (last edited Jun 01, 2013 06:55AM) (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Not Allowed:

Option A - Music

Option B - Cast

Option C - Dancing

Option D - Setting

Option E - Time Period

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I want to read Six Weeks
They made a movie of it with Mary Tyler Moore and her
daughter in the movie is a ballet dancer.
But, the description doesn't say that.

Here's some info from Amazon and IMDb.
Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084691/p...

message 6: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I want to read Six Weeks
They made a movie of it with Mary Tyler Moore and her
daughter in the movie is a ballet dancer.
But, the description doesn't say that.

Here's some info from Amazon and IM..."

Six Weeks is approved.

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you!

message 8: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Deanna, may I have this approved for #2 - Cast?

Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voight (Cynthia Rhodes is one of the cast). It has the genre Childrens on its main page, but it does have 384p. But I wanted to have it approved just in case. :)

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Chaitra wrote: "Deanna, may I have this approved for #2 - Cast?

Mister Max: The Book of Lost Things by Cynthia Voight (Cynthia Rhodes is one of the cast). It has the genre Childrens on its main page, but it does..."

Per general challenge rules, approved.

message 10: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Thanks Deanna!

message 11: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Viaduct Child - Patrick Wood (Patrick Swayze)

Three Girls and a Baby - Rachel Schurig ("Be My Baby" – The Ronettes)

message 12: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Viaduct Child - Patrick Wood (Patrick Swayze)

Three Girls and a Baby - Rachel Schurig ("Be My Baby" – The Ronettes)"

Both of those are perfect - approved!

message 13: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks x

message 14: by Jayme VA (new)

Jayme VA | 789 comments How about Seven Locks: A Novel for the Catskills option? The description doesn't include the state, but does mention the Castkills.

message 15: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Jayme VA wrote: "How about Seven Locks: A Novel for the Catskills option? The description doesn't include the state, but does mention the Castkills."

That works, approved.

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Deanna on the cast it can match a characters first o last name or the actors first or last name, is that right?

Does it matter if the first name matches a last name?

message 17: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Sheila wrote: "Deanna on the cast it can match a characters first o last name or the actors first or last name, is that right?

Does it matter if the first name matches a last name?"

You can mix and match. The first name of a character or actor can be the last name of an author, etc.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments this was filmed not far from where I went to college at Smith mountain lake in VA (not far from virginia tech). one of my good friends had her rehersal dinner there in the big house