Ask Shannon Huffman Polson discussion

North of Hope: A Daughter's Arctic Journey
This topic is about North of Hope
Reaching Readers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Abrams (davidabrams) | 1 comments Hi Shannon,
Since publishing "North of Hope," what has been your most gratifying experience with a reader? What has been the most surprising?
Thanks again for your gift of words!
David Abrams

message 2: by Margot (new)

Margot | 2 comments Hi Shannon,
What's the reaction been to your book in Alaska? Have people in your home state read your account with a different eye? And with all memoir that involves family, I'm curious how your family has reacted to your book and how that has affected you. It's a big decision to write about people close to you. How do you navigate that potentially rough territory? Thank you for the excellent read!
Margot

message 3: by Margot (new)

Margot | 2 comments Shannon,
Another question on a different topic: You write beautifully at the end of your book on the topic of conservation and the importance of preserving and protecting wild lands. How can we city-dwellers encourage in others "a love, respect, admiration and deep regard" for the value of wilderness (as Aldo Leopold called for), especially in folks for whom your story is frightening and/or a reason not to venture into wild territory and experience it for themselves?
-Margot

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Bogdanovic | 5 comments I am confused.
Is this where we're supposed to post questions for the Q&A?

Shannon Polson (shannonhuffmanpolson) | 14 comments Mod
Alexandra, feel free to add a question here, or start a new discussion, whatever your preference!

David, I love your question about reaching readers.

Most gratifying were two responses I had this past week, actually, though I should start by saying that I have been immensely gratified by all of the readers I've had a chance to meet virtually or in person.

This week I had an actual letter from someone I've known as an acquaintance, but who clearly spent slow, thoughtful time with North of Hope. There can be very little more gratifying than knowing someone has taken care with the words, thoughts, ideas that took years to put in their proper places.

Another note came from someone who is an older man who said he didn't expect to like North of Hope, but was tremendously moved by it. I don't know if his original expectation was because he thought it might be more focused on women, or self indulgent, but his response was that he thought it was beautifully written and that it would be excellent for anyone who has ever experienced loss (or, presumably, will experience it.)

In part because of the contrast with his original prejudice, I was so pleased it had touched him enough to respond so honestly.

Part of the joy of releasing a book into the world is the honor of sharing it with others (as you know), and learning from their experiences with it, too. I'm so grateful for that unexpected part of the journey.

Margot, I'm going to start new discussions with your (excellent) questions if that's ok, so it's easy to navigate for anyone interested!

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Bogdanovic | 5 comments Hi, Shannon.
This seems to be the thread where most of the activity is taking place now, so I apologize for the "double post."
At any rate, I am a reporter so I have several questions!
You certainly have a compelling story, but what prompted you to share it with the world?
What was the most difficult thing about writing your memoir?
What is the biggest challenge in terms of marketing?