Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's May

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3051 comments The Hit: David Baldacci
Say what you will, the man can write a thriller. I’ll give him an extra point for a credible conspiracy novel. (A-)

Iron Horse: “Parker”
Robert B may be gone, but his books live on, and so far the recreations are very faithful to the originals. (Maybe better) (B+)

The Famous and the Dead: T Jefferson Parker
The last book in the “on the border” series, and the story sort of resolves, but sort of stays open. Kind of like life. (B)

The Survivor: Greg Hurwitz
A conflicting title. On the one hand, this is some of the best writing I have seen out of Hurwitz, but on the other hand, the premise really strains one’s credulity. Adding to the woes of the premise, there was really only one way this book could end, so all I could do was go along for the ride and see how he got there. (B)

Pirate Alley: Stephen Coonts
A shoot-em-up in Somalia with Al Shabab and the pirates. (B+)

Dead Water: Victoria Houston
An amusing murder (or two) in the north of Wisconsin. The clues are all labelled with a big red X, so the story is easy to follow. If you fish, this is the book for you.(B)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Well put, Barry! The Famous and the Dead is on my May list too. I wonder what T. Jefferson Parker will write next.
Good action packed month!
Barry wrote: "..The Famous and the Dead: T Jefferson Parker
The last book in the “on the border” series, and the story sort of resolves, but sort of stays open. Kind of like life. (B)"

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Short month for you, Barry, but as long as you enjoyed your reads...

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments That's what I was thinking, Barry, only 6? But I guess you had graduations and other things to contend with. Will have to go off and see if I've read The Hit before, I am getting back to Baldacci after a long hiatus.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3051 comments I was on shift until May 18th, working 13 hour days with no days off. That did cut into the reading. All 6 books were read in the last 12 days of the month.
There was the graduation also. My daughter graduated Magna cum laude from Rensselaer. I am rather proud of her!

message 6: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Barry, congrats!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Barry wrote: " My daughter graduated Magna cum laude from Rensselaer. I am rather proud of her!
..."

As well you should be!

message 8: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments That's great. I'm in Ca for my grandson s 8th grade graduation

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Congrats to both of you.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14618 comments Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation, Barry! Very impressive.

message 11: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments I'd be proud, too, Pop!

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1299 comments Congratulations Barry! Very impressive accomplishment by your daughter!
I enjoyed The Hit as well...more than The Innocent.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3684 comments Barry wrote: "I was on shift until May 18th, working 13 hour days with no days off. That did cut into the reading. All 6 books were read in the last 12 days of the month.
There was the graduation also. My dau..."

congrats on the grad, barry! you should be a proud poppa!

message 14: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Barry wrote: "I was on shift until May 18th, working 13 hour days with no days off. That did cut into the reading. All 6 books were read in the last 12 days of the month.
There was the graduation also. My dau..."

Congrats to you and your grad.

message 15: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Barry wrote: " My daughter graduated Magna cum laude from Rensselaer. I am rather proud of her!

Ah, beautiful Rensselaer, past off-season home of the Chicago Bears. But enough of that: congratulations to the new grad.