Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Authors you have met

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments Have you ever met an author that you admire? (Or one that you didn't?)

Would love to hear the stories!

message 2: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1850 comments Mod
I got to (finally!) meet Jamie Ford a few months ago. He gave a talk/did a reading at a school I live near, so I went and ADORED him. I've listened to interviews and other readings he's done, so I kind of knew what to expect, but I still loved it.

I also met Nancy Pearl when I was in college. Oh, I was *so* uncool -- I think I even squealed a little. She basically did what she does everywhere -- talked about books with us, and then gave recommendations based on the books we said we like (but for the life of me, I don't remember what she recommended to me, or what she said about the books I mentioned! I don't even remember what books I mentioned!! I think I was too much in awe :) ).

What about you?

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Brown | 111 comments As I live in SW Fl I have frequently been known to stalk the area in search of Stephen King (for years, it's sad really) but I never catch him! My friend has met him several times at area restaurants and I am sooooo jealous! I've never met any big time authors though :(

message 4: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 775 comments Got to hear/see Alexander McCall Smith last month. He's a delightful man - and hilarious!

message 5: by Helena (new)

Helena (helenakyriakou) I was in Stephen King's hometown in Maine on a road trip with my mom, she didn't even let us go find his house, which apparently has a really eerie gate around it!

message 6: by Naomi V (last edited Jun 16, 2013 09:20AM) (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments i'm a horrible geek about authors. my screen saver is full of photos of Ian McEwan, Tom Stoppard, Don DeLillo, Michael Ondaatje...

i met Stuart Dybek, author of The Coast of Chicago: Stories. this book is special to me because i loaned it to my (then future) husband, who had been in Chicago less than a year. it was a bit of an introduction to the city, and it was a bit of a bonding experience for us. Stuart was doing a reading and then signed books and i did well until he finished signing it and i squealed "i'm so excited!" yikes.

i also met Brad Warner, who is a Buddhist author (as well as a punk rock musician, among other things), and that went much better.

i recently found out that Irvine Welsh, author of one of my favourite books (Trainspotting) now lives in Chicago (where i live.) i'm hoping to someday run into him and i'm practicing being cool about it. wish me luck.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi wrote: "i'm a horrible geek about authors. my screen saver is full of photos of Ian McEwan, Tom Stoppard, Don DeLillo, Michael Ondaatje...

i met Stuart Dybek, author of The Coast of Chicago: Stories. th..."

Naomi,
I'd say follow Irvine Welsh on twitter, and watch events around Chicago (esp at the Metro) because he does readings and events in the city fairly regularly. I've gone to see him read twice, and it was awesome. :)

message 8: by Mairzi (last edited Jun 22, 2013 08:21AM) (new)

Mairzi In 2006, I took my then 11 year old son to see "A Evening with Harry, Carrie and Garp," which was a fundraiser for Doctors without Borders at Radio City Music Hall. It was an incredible event that I will remember for a long time. Each author did a wonderful reading from one of their works and each was introduced by a celebrity who had a connection with them or their work. Hearing these talented authors read their own words was incredible but better still was the look on my son's face when his personal hero, JK Rowling, walked out on stage. It was if he had just seen god. The tickets cost me a fortune but the joy of seeing my son's face while Rowling read made the evening priceless.

message 9: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments oh, Lindsey, thanks so much for the info!

message 10: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 562 comments Mairzi, that must have been wonderful! it's something your son will always remember.

message 11: by librarian4Him02 (last edited Dec 08, 2013 06:32PM) (new)

librarian4Him02 | 267 comments Our library system has a one community, one book program for kids. I've chaired the committee for the last three years. Since I'm not sure if the authors we bring in follow this site I'd rather not name specific names, but one author was nice and quite easy to work with. The other was a bit more challenging to work with, but pleasant to talk with over lunch following her last appearance. She offered good advice for taking the program into the future. This is my third year coordinating with an author. Plans are just getting underway, so I'm not certain yet how easy this person is to work with. So far, they are proving to be great, though.

Oh, a few years back my husband and I did go to a presentation by Melissa Anelli who is prominent on The Leaky Cauldron website. She was promoting her book and her experience as a Harry Potter fan and website editor. She was very sweet during the book signing afterwards.

Juli

message 12: by Tori (new)

Tori | 217 comments I've met Ellen Hopkins at a library event and then met Jennifer Weiner at a book signing. I love author events so I try to go when one I like comes to town.

message 13: by James (new)

James Loftus I have never met one single author. I have met script writers though in interesting circumstances, lots of money and shallowness in showbiz.