Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows discussion


542 views
Hermione sucks!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I swear I am not trolling.


FallingAngels Do you have any reasoning behind it?


Emily Yeah, why does Hermione suck? Enlighten us!


Nikola_TimeLordy_Potterhead I had moments throughout the series where I just hated her... Everyone thinks I've gone insane...
But she just annoyed me. Don't know why :\


Lani Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. But SERIOUSLY!


Nikola_TimeLordy_Potterhead Yes exactly :)
But yeah I know, to hate Hermione is just... unnatural...


Nicole it was probably super frustrating that she was such a showoff and a know it all. I like her because she was a good friend to harry and ron. without her the harry potter series would stink.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think you're trolling, but please do explain, uh, why Hermione sucks.


kirstin ✿ You may dislike Hermione. But I think the term 'sucks' doesn't fit with Hermione.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Why does Hermionie Sucks?


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I think Brooke is telling the truth, Silver Hallow. Ooh, are you from Slytherin? The icon by your name looks like the Slytherin crest. You know, Merlin was a Slytherin.


message 13: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni I liked watching Hermione grow and mature throughout the series. Learning that books aren't the (only) solution to everything, but hard work, dedication, daring, and quick-thinking can serve you just as well was a HUGE lesson she needed to learn.


message 14: by Leon (last edited Jun 03, 2013 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leon RE I'll admit she did get on my nerves sometimes, like the way she always felt like she needed to be the best at everything, like in Potions class in HBP, and then in OOTP she had this kind of anti-Sirius attitude. I liked her in POA though.


Jasmine J characters had their annoying moments...but i agree with Jeni on what she said on hermione.


Sparrowlicious Okay kids, writing stuff like 'character sucks' is kind of stupid. Why?
Because though you have of course the right to your own opinion simply stating that something or someone 'sucks' isn't alright because it implies that something is generally 'not good' which can or cannot be confirmed. Hemione is a character who saves pretty much every other main character's ass a couple of times which proves that she does not 'suck'.
If you dislike her then that's your own problem.


message 17: by Book (new) - rated it 5 stars

Book Worm What???? omg i love her.....i cant imagine why u dont??


Alyssa She was a little crazy at some points but everyone is like that in different ways. Think ron leaving. For the most part, SHE WAS AMAZING


Luna Belle Pris What! She sucks? She saves Ron and Harry's life numerous times and she does their homework! Her Christmas presents aren't bad either. Yes she is hard on them sometimes and can get bossy, but if that is what it takes to have her on my side, I'd say she far from sucks :) Harry would have never been able to have defeated You-know-who without Hermione. Ron, however, well...


message 20: by Leon (last edited Jun 06, 2013 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leon RE Sparrowlicious wrote: "Okay kids, writing stuff like 'character sucks' is kind of stupid. Why?
Because though you have of course the right to your own opinion simply stating that something or someone 'sucks' isn't alrigh..."


Yes but neither can it be confirmed that a person is good or "rocks" or something. It's just a matter of opinion. Some people like Hermione and some people don't and some people are in between.


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

1. She was mean to Ron until near the end of DH.
2. She was rotten to Harry in HBP.
3. She acts like she knows everything, even when she doesn't.
And many more reasons...


message 22: by Kreshia (last edited Jun 06, 2013 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kreshia I think I had to admit I agree a bit. She was really sometimes annoying. Especially when she didn't believe the hallows were real. Remember what Xenophilius Lovegood said? "You are, I gather, not unintelligent, but painfully limited. Narrow. Close-minded."

But I think "sucks" is a bit too much don't you think?


message 23: by BlueTheNightmare (new)

BlueTheNightmare how can you hate Hermione? She's a diva and smart and she studies unlike Ron and Harry


message 24: by QR (last edited Jun 06, 2013 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

QR She was a great character in the books. In the movies, they made her too much like Emma. I love Emma but she is too perfect to be the flawed human Hermione I pictured in the books. A lot of the book character's flaws were eliminated: bushy hair, large teeth (though smaller after the 4th), bossy/nasily voice, etc. Not just appearances though: she was way less of a nerd in the films and way less emotional too.

www.puffcritique.blogspot.com


message 25: by Leon (last edited Jun 07, 2013 10:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leon RE Bluebrennan wrote: "how can you hate Hermione? She's a diva and smart and she studies unlike Ron and Harry"

She mainly studies so she can look smart, which is not a good reason for studying. Even when she's 16 she still treats studying like it's a competition. I think she's a good character but I don't always find her entirely likeable.


Katie Mauger Leon wrote: "Bluebrennan wrote: "how can you hate Hermione? She's a diva and smart and she studies unlike Ron and Harry"

She mainly studies so she can look smart, which is not a good reason for studying. Even ..."


I agree with you. Hermione is not supposed to be "likeable." She is who she is. She's a pushy, nosy, bossy, geeky, know-it-all, and for a lot of the first book no one likes her. After fighting that troll together Ron and Harry become friends with her, but they are still pretty much her only friends for the whole series. That said, I love Hermione and think that she is an amazing character and a really great person! Not everyone is gonna be "likeable." Some of the most influential women in history (and in my personal experiences) have been called "bitches." If you have a strong personality (especially if you are a woman) then not everybody is gonna like you, but I will. :)


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Nancy wrote: "Without Hermione, Harry and Ron would have been down the drain before intended."

thats soooo true


kirstin ✿ Yes, I'd like to hear why she sucks. I respect your opinion about her. But let us know your reasons.

I have to admit that she's annoying and bossy at times. But if it weren't for that, where would Ron and Harry be?


Kirstin Dice I understand everyone has there opinion, but really the whole book would kind of go down the drain without her. I believe she's awesome and I love her but why? why on earth do you hate her? hate is a very strong word.


Chelsea Brooke wrote: "1. She was mean to Ron until near the end of DH.
2. She was rotten to Harry in HBP.
3. She acts like she knows everything, even when she doesn't.
And many more reasons..."



1. That's because she had a crush on him. That's how teenagers and young children behave. She's human afterall
2. She did act a little insufferable in this one. She felt threatened. She has always been the top of her class, and she felt threatened when Harry started doing better than she did. This just reminds you that she's human. It makes her more realistic as a character. Rowling didn't make her the "ideal" but rather gave her foibles and weaknesses like anyone else.
3. Rowling established early that she's a know-it-all. That was her character archetype. I can definitely see how that would be annoying to some people, but to be fair, she DID often know things that Harry and Ron were clueless about and was the one solving the riddles most of the time.

Hermione really grew and matured as the series proceeded. It was interesting to watch her evolve into the self-possessed, confident woman she became. As others have said, she learned that books aren't everything and she learned to value other people's skills and abilities.


Laura I would like to point out that if Hermione was mean to Ron it was not undeserved. Ron was always making fun of her for studying but then expecting her to help him with his homework.


Aubrey B I really think this person was trolling. They would have given reasons and held a logical argument if they were being serious.


Annabeth Granger HERMIONE IS AWESOME!!!!!!


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hermione only sucks when she's drinking soup.


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Aubrey wrote: "I really think this person was trolling. They would have given reasons and held a logical argument if they were being serious."
Thank you so much.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

It's just that I love Ron and Sirius so much.


Saurav Kathuria c'mon, after reading GOF i dont think anyone can hate her.
She has saved their Harry's life more time thn i can remember. wat if she is briany, doesnt make her unlikable.


message 38: by Sami (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sami Jeni wrote: "I liked watching Hermione grow and mature throughout the series. Learning that books aren't the (only) solution to everything, but hard work, dedication, daring, and quick-thinking can serve you ju..."

Perfect reasons to love Hermione are perfect.


Wolfiegirl WHAT?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Hermione is my favorite character!


message 40: by BlueTheNightmare (new)

BlueTheNightmare how can you hate Hermione? I'm agreeing with Laura


message 41: by Jeni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeni Here's some more examples of why I like Hermione (in no particular order):

1. She lied and broke rules for her friends to help keep them safe. This goes against everything she believes in. That kind of loyalty is rare. I'm not saying breaking rules and lying are GOOD, just that she overcame her misgivings in order to save her friends.

2. She did everything she could to help Harry and Ron when they needed it. Preparing with books, study, spells, even packing her beaded bag with things she thought they would need shows she is fiercely loyal to them both and playing to her strengths. She also never questioned going with Harry and Ron, even though it was dangerous.

3. When Ron left and she was clearly devastated, she kept the bigger picture in mind. She was willing to sacrifice her happiness to bring down Voldemort.

4. She wiped her parents' memories to keep them safe. This one made me cry. She eliminated herself from her parents' minds so they wouldn't be hunted by Voldemort and his followers. From their minds-possibly forever!

5. She left school. Seriously-Hermione LEFT SCHOOL. Of course, after the war was over, she went back, but she didn't hesitate when it was time to go.

6. She was the boys' conscience. When they would get their schemes up, she would try to be the voice of reason. Even when it made them mad at her. She was always trying to keep those boys safe and on the right track. She spent one entire year in their bad grace just to keep them safe. She had to be miserable, but she stuck to her guns and did what she thought was right.

7. She punched Malfoy in the nose. That was just awesome.

So, I think the things I admire about Hermione are her steadfastness, her willingness to sacrifice for her friends, her unwavering loyalty, and her strong sense of morals. Sure, she comes off as a know-it-all, but her true qualities far outweigh her annoying habits, at least for me.


message 42: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick The reason she is always studying and being a know-it-all is because she feels like she has something to prove. She is muggle-born, she has no reputation and no prominent family name to back her. Also, if you had no idea a wizarding world existed and were an academic like Hermione, wouldn't you be fascinated with everything about magic?

Personally, Hermione is my favorite character, aside from Harry of course. She is very three-dimensional, a know-it-all yes but still struggling with the same emotional and development issues as all of the other teenagers. Also, she has always stuck by Harry's side, never being angry at him for an extended period of time.


message 43: by BlueTheNightmare (new)

BlueTheNightmare lol I forgot She punched Malfoy in the nose.


message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2013 10:56AM) (new)

Actually, the character who annoyed me the most was Harry himself. Ultimately he was a very heroic character, but I think the books described his feelings in certain situations ill-effectively. Because of such moments I found myself disliking him more and more. Sure, when you stop to think about it, the moments when he appeared rather stupid or annoying make sense with both his age and the circumstances given, but the fact that I actually had to think about it because the books weren't good enough at justifying him for me only brings a bitter taste to my mouth, and makes me dislike him a little worse.

Hermione was a little annoying also, but I find her much more easy to justify because of the way the books build her up as a character. You could think of a hundred arguments as to why she "sucks", but given her situation and the resulting emotional trials she's forced to deal with, you could counter those arguments easily. Throughout the book she tries to hold together with her friends, even though it's far too easy for them to be pushing away from each other. She is a hero in her own way.


message 45: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Jeni wrote: "Here's some more examples of why I like Hermione (in no particular order):

1. She lied and broke rules for her friends to help keep them safe. This goes against everything she believes in. That k..."


Well put!! Harry and Ron would have died so many times over without her. And let's face it- the know it all was much smarter than them


Frenchie I like Hermione. I do not think she is a show off but it is her insecurities that make want to shine. Ant it is a great thing that she loves learning and books so much because her ''know it all'' attitude has saved them more than once.
She is not mean to Ron. He is mean to her.
And she is a very loyal friend. A friend is not someone who always agree with you, it is also someone who can tell you a few home truths, whether you like it or not LOL. This is Hermione. A very misunderstood character.


message 47: by BlueTheNightmare (new)

BlueTheNightmare no one was more annoying then malfoy


message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

When people are asked about their favorite HP characters most of them say Sirius or Lupin or Snape. It's really rare to hear an answer like Harry or Hermione or Ron, after all the plot revolves around them mainly. Don't forget that both Harry and Hermione were both kids. We can see them in a more mature form only in the 6th and the 7th book, even then not quite. They are just teens who have faced more than their friends have so we don't have to be so hard on them just because they're annoying sometimes. They are supposed to be so, it's not like we are perfect.

Now since the topic was about Hermione, I really see no reason to hate her. (She's my favorite character). I mean, hate is a strong word. (I'm not saying you're wrong as everyone has their own opinion and is free to express it). Hermione is intelligent, but the fact that she is always "hiding" behind her books, probably makes some of us think that she gets the smartness only from them. But that's not true. Hermione's knowledge has saved Harry and Ron more times than we can count. Does this mean that Harry and Ron are stupid? No, they just haven't fed their minds with more information, like Hermione has. Being a little bit conceited and acting like she knows everything is just part of character. Everyone has flaws. But on the other side Hermione is loyal, rational, brave, kind (let's not forget when she helped Neville in the potion's class, she didn't do that for attention) and sensitive (even towards inhuman magical creatures which weren't nice to her). Also she is a very smart muggle-born child, that's why she is always thirsty to know more and more about everything there is to know for the magical world, she knows more than children that come from old wizard families. Though I'm sure that even if she went to a regular school she'd still be top of the class. Because that's her.

In my point of view, Hermione is a perfectly built character. Just because she's fictional doesn't mean she has to be perfect nor physically neither mentally. No one is!


message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

how can anyone not like hermione?!?!?


message 50: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Jeni wrote: "Here's some more examples of why I like Hermione (in no particular order):

1. She lied and broke rules for her friends to help keep them safe. This goes against everything she believes in. That k..."


Yes! Thank you. Perfect sum-up of Hermione. Especially #4; Wow. Hermione is an incredible person. :)


« previous 1
back to top