Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Lorraine's May reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Below Zero by C. J. Box ( a Joe Pickett mystery)
A person thought to be dead contacts the Pickett family. A Chicago mobster is committing crimes in Wyoming.
This was a fair read, not the best.

Nowhere to Run by C. J. Box
Pickett, Game Warden, receives reports of camps looted, tents slashed and elk butchered. He encounters anti-government mountain men.They shoot Pickett and kill his horses. Pickett barely makes it back down the mountain. While in the hospital he vows he will find them.....a battle to the death.
A very good read, couldn't put down.

Cold Wind by C.J. Box
A body is found dangling from a wind turbine. Nathan Romanowski, a former special-ops, has a found out there is a "hit" on him by members of his former military group. Nate was introduced several books ago and
his character is getting darker and more interesting. Nate takes care of business violently and outside of the law.
A good read.

Force of Nature by C.J. Box
Nate Romanowski, Joe Pickett's best friend, in 1999 was in a secret special forces unit in central Asia, when a colleague did something terrible. That man wants to eliminate anyone who knows about it. Nate is the his hit list. He will also go after Nate's friends to find him, including the Pickett family.
A good read.
This a more of a Nate Romanowski book, he fights like Reacher.

Breaking Point by C. J. Box
The 13th and current novel in the series.
Joe, a Wyoming game warden, is helping law enforcement in the search for local businessman, Butch Roberson, who's gone missing after two E.P.A agents are murdered on his land (which had been declared a protected wetland). This is taken after a true case: Sacketts v. E.P.A. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackett_...
I'm now caught up with this series.

Suggestions if reading this series:
It helps to read them in order, to understand the secondary plot that flows thru the books.
Read the afterward, many true events inspired Box to incorporate into his books.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3597 comments Now that you're caught up, you can start thinking "out of the Box"! LOL

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Quite a box-full month, Lorraine! I have found more subtle details sometimes when reading a series back to back. There is something to be said for doing it that way. Congrats on catching up.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2626 comments It's fun to immerse yourself in a series for an extended period.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Lorraine, you've made me more interested in this series than I have been previously. Maybe I'll add it to more already bulging TBR list. I've had fun plowing through some series recently.

message 6: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2960 comments If you dislike bureaucrats, the Box books are for you.