Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir
This topic is about Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Archive - Award Winners > Let's Pretend this Never Happened - June 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Goodreads Choice Award Winner - Humor

If you want to laugh, you need to read this with us. And after all the emotionally intense books we've read lately (I'm thinking about our buddy reads), this will be a good change.

Summary:
Jenny Lawson realized that the most mortifying moments of our lives—the ones we’d like to pretend never happened—are in fact the ones that define us. In the #1 New York Times bestseller, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened, Lawson takes readers on a hilarious journey recalling her bizarre upbringing in rural Texas, her devastatingly awkward high school years, and her relationship with her long-suffering husband, Victor. Chapters include: “Stanley the Magical, Talking Squirrel”; “A Series of Angry Post-It Notes to My Husband”; “My Vagina Is Fine. Thanks for Asking”; “And Then I Snuck a Dead Cuban Alligator on an Airplane.” Pictures with captions (no one would believe these things without proof) accompany the text.

Time to laugh: June 1st

Please use spoiler tags whenever appropriate. We wouldn't want to spoil the book for all the others!!

I will post questions throughout the month but feel free to post your thoughts right now if you've read the book.

Happy reading!

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I just want to say for the started that I loved this book, although it was disturbing at some points, I'm really looking forward to having discussion on this one and hearing your opinions.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5947 comments Mod
Ah! This will be a MUCH lighter read after The Storyteller and Me Before You! Now I just need to get ahold of the book. :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I am soooo looking forward to reading this one :-).

Noooo, Anima, say it isn't so...disturbing at some points???. This was suppose to be a funny read. Ok, gulp, I'm in for it anyways...

Come on Lawson, make me laugh :-)

message 5: by Anima (last edited May 31, 2013 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Well, Cathie, perhaps this depends on the attitude towards the book, it made me laugh at some points... LOL not to say anything else before you start reading it.

Cherene | 4 comments I know I'm going to be one of the few, but I despised this book. I'll explain after people have got through most of it.

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments I read this last summer and rarely do I read anything that makes me laugh out loud until tears are running down my face. My favorite parts were of her hilarious childhood. Jenny Lawson has a colorful family and a distinctly irreverent tone that kept me in stitches.

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I have this on hold at the library. Hopefully, I'll get it in a week or so. I'll be reading Bitterblue while waiting for it to come in. :)

message 9: by Cathie (last edited Jun 01, 2013 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments That's what I'm hopingfor Karlee; a laugh out loud, make me get weird looks
from others book :-).
I'm glad to hear you found it so funny.

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments Cathie wrote: "That's what I'm hopingfor Karlee; a laugh out loud, make me get weird looks from others book :-). I'm glad to hear you found it so funny."

I'm glad I mostly read this at home because I would have definitely gotten a lot of weird looks. Tell me when you get to the raccoon part, I remember my sides hurting from laughter.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I'm on the waiting list for Bitterblue :-(...

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Oh boy, now I want to get to the racoon part....

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments Cathie wrote: "Oh boy, now I want to get to the racoon part...."

It's early on in the book from what I remember Cathie, so you shouldn't have to wait long. I'm gonna have to go into my kindle archive and read that part again this week. :)

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Cathie wrote: "I'm on the waiting list for Bitterblue :-(..."

Oh no!! I'm sure you'll still probably finish before me. ;)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Karlee wrote: "I read this last summer and rarely do I read anything that makes me laugh out loud until tears are running down my face. My favorite parts were of her hilarious childhood. Jenny Lawson has a colorf..."

That's great to hear! I need something like that right now. :)

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Depends when I get the book...it wasn't in today when I went and I'm too afraid to see what my # is on the waiting list ;-}

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments Kristie wrote: "Karlee wrote: "I read this last summer and rarely do I read anything that makes me laugh out loud until tears are running down my face. My favorite parts were of her hilarious childhood. Jenny Laws..."

It's just a really funny, no-brainer read. Just poor yourself a glass of wine or a cold beer and sit back and enjoy.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments No brainer works for me right about now, lol.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Karlee wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Karlee wrote: "I read this last summer and rarely do I read anything that makes me laugh out loud until tears are running down my face. My favorite parts were of her hilarious child..."

Oh I can do that!!!

Sarah | 1467 comments Gonna start this book today - need a break from the last couple of amazing but intense books I have just finished. Time for some humor and laughter - I am hoping.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments I just finished reading the Magical Squirrel chapter. I've been rolling on my sides laughing so much reading this book. Love her sarcasm.

I don't think I will ever walk into another Starbucks without having to hide a snicker again!!

Sarah | 1467 comments I am at that chapter now. Pretty hilarious.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments What a great light read; I'm really enjoying this!

Sarah | 1467 comments Totally different but my other funny and light read this year was The Caliph's House A Year in Casablanca by Tahir Shah . I need to read more humor to lighten all the heavy books I read - which I also really enjoy.

Cathie (catitude) | 1511 comments Yeah, I have to remember that it is very very good to laugh so hard!

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Can't wait to get this from the library! Hopefully this week.

Stacey (monkeymom1120) | 2 comments I'm about 42% some with the book. I'm not enjoying it as much as others. Yes, there are times where I laugh out loud. But, most of the time I am annoyed with her rambling.

message 28: by Sarah (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 1467 comments (view spoiler)

Now this book has the best footnotes ever.

Sarah | 1467 comments Stacey wrote: "I'm about 42% some with the book. I'm not enjoying it as much as others. Yes, there are times where I laugh out loud. But, most of the time I am annoyed with her rambling."

Part of what I am finding humorous is the rambling.

message 30: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 7 comments This is on my to read list, I will read it next!

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments Sarah wrote: ""....And that's when I realized that drugs were bad and I never took them again."¹
¹. Except for pot a few more times. And once I accidentally did cocaine. And also I did acid a couple more times, but I never did it again at night, so I'm pretty sure that doesn't count. You know what? Never mind.

Now this book has the best footnotes ever"

The footnotes are hilarious! And the pictures too!

message 32: by Jojo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments This is next on my list :)

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿ (last edited Jun 02, 2013 06:53PM) (new) - added it

Karen ⊰✿ | 412 comments I'm going to start this next week. I think I need a change of pace!

message 34: by Sarah (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah | 1467 comments OMG I was laughing so hard around page 152 (view spoiler)

message 35: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just started but I liked the part where she rambles about meeting her gynecologist (view spoiler).

message 36: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Please guys, use spoilers. When we read a funny part but already know about it it's not funny anymore!

message 37: by Jojo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I've just finished the squirrel chapter! This is freaking funny!! I'm making myself put it down and get back to work (boo), maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to squeeze in another chapter before the kids come home.

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Library will have a copy for me by the end of the week! Yay!! You guys are making me want to read it right away!! :D

Linda | 24 comments I agree with most comments that this book is hilarious! I am laughing out loud and I love the rambling and sarcasm. I checked out her web site too - just as funny! I never would have chosen this book on my own, so I'm glad I joined this group.

message 40: by Jojo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I just read the post it chapter...omg, I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee! And I think my worn family may think I'm crazy!

message 41: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

The end of the magic squirrel last night was insanely funny. I laghed so hard I think my roommate thought I was crying!! ;)

message 42: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

For those who have read the magic squirrel, don't you think it's wrong to laugh at such an horrible thing? (especially the end of the chapter...

message 43: by Anima (last edited Jun 05, 2013 12:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Well, and here I come with my feeling toward the book. I found some parts of it hilarious indeed, but those chapters devoted to the childhood were difficult for me, and generally not funny at all. I've been following this thread and I've started to wonder why. Is it the matter of some of my childhood experiences, cultural differences, which may be here of more importance than in other genres or something with my sense of humor. I cannot find the right answer. But I have the strong feeling that either she manipulates the readers throughout the book, or with her sarcasm and irony she tries to overcome some kind of traumatic experience, which finally turned out well for her, but initially was totally freaking.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I do know such people, I am one of them myself (I have some compulsions and axiety disorders), still that does not erase my doubts about this book, Sarah.

Sarah | 1467 comments Anima, this is a generic question to stimulate book discussion.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I think that this question looked a little bit different before you edited it, but it's ok with me, my answer is still the same.

I do not fully comprehend the reason behind writing this book. Was it for therapy's sake, nothnig less than to amuse people, to show some of the obstacles and suffering mentally ill people encounter in their lives, or maybe all of the reason blend somehow, or it is just to gain more attention, and put into the book what Lawson does in her blog anyway. I just don't know and have trouble to simply laugh.

Sarah | 1467 comments I made it bold and fixed a typo. I am getting these questions from the back of her book meant for book discussions. They aren't even coming from my own brilliant mind.

message 48: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah wrote: "I made it bold and fixed a typo. I am getting these questions from the back of her book meant for book discussions. They aren't even coming from my own brilliant mind."

I know Sarah! They are the official discussion questions! I was about to post them at one point.

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Still, I think it is nothing personal in my answers :), I just voice my doubts, no less, no more :), peace pact? ::hand reached out for shake:: :)

Sarah | 1467 comments Anima, something about your reaction to this book reminds me of my reaction to A Fault In Our Stars. People loved that book yet I couldn't completely pinpoint it but I was really irked. Maybe it had to do with my personal feelings around death and dying and my own life experience. This book really made light of and made fun of some serious mental health issues that some people may see as humorous but others may be rubbed the wrong way or even find certain things offensive.

« previous 1